Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Selling home-cooked meals in the community
Previous  1  2  3  Next

smilethere

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 10:50 am
I know someone in my community offered this service, She also offered to come cook in your house... It wasn't cheap but apparently good! Before yom tov she was pretty popular...

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 10:55 am
there are those who get a hechsher in home ... I've seen it ...

although I haven't done this for dinners ... I have gone into homes and baked them stuff for simchas ... this way everything is how they want it ... only problem is that sometimes they really don't have the appropriate gadgets that you might find easier to work with ...

OP go for it make some offers take it one supper at a time ... many people hate to cook - but everyone loves to eat !!!

whatever

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 11:29 am
yeah its cheap though I made a mistake about the entree instead its a salad.

Atali

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 11:38 am
However, you would first have to do some research to see if enough working moms can afford the service. I know that I couldn't afford to pay $9.00 a person. For a family of five that is $45 a night!

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 11:54 am
Atali wrote:
However, you would first have to do some research to see if enough working moms can afford the service. I know that I couldn't afford to pay $9.00 a person. For a family of five that is $45 a night!

But there are plenty of people who buy "takeout" every now and then. So those people might really prefer a home-cooked meal, instead of the oil-drenched....

gryp

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 1:25 pm
I like the idea, I considered it too, a while back. But I think most people want a hechsher on the food which is why I vetoed my idea.

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 2:07 pm
GR wrote:
I like the idea, I considered it too, a while back. But I think most people want a hechsher on the food which is why I vetoed my idea.

yet most people will take bikur cholim meals.

Fabulous

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 2:22 pm
My parents once had a woman come to their house and cook. They told her about what they like, she ran the menu by them. She came twice a week and cooked two meals each time. Usually one soup and at least one dessert. They paid between $18-$25 an hr. Plus she made them a list each week for groceries she would need. It ended up being about 5-6 hours a week.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 2:23 pm
What if…. What if she hand picks the ingredients on a pre-determined budget, brings them with her and peels and cuts and cooks and packs away and leaves… now THAT’S what we’re talking about.

MOE

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 4:20 pm
you have to becareful I thinking cooking in your home for resale is considered illegal......you would need insurance which you wouldn't be able to get and if any hechsher is willing to give a hechsher to somone in their home I wouldn't use it because the rules for kosher in somones home differ from a commercial kitchen....commercial kitchens that are kosher you can only cook meat or milk or parve where in your home you can do all three obviously in certain areas but in a commercial kitchen either your milky,meaty or pareve not all three.....barring that I think its a great idea but what I would do is find a shule in the area that has a commercial kitchen thats not being used and rent it out from them and have fun with starting your own business good luck

Mirabelle

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 4:31 pm
I for one think that its a great idea.
I work part from home and part in the city and I know on those days when I get home from the city I would LOVE to have a home cooked meal waiting for me.

Does anyone in Lakewood do this kind of thing?

happyone

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 4:32 pm
amother wrote:
oh ok so maybe not, just want to hear what people think

great idea. I've been looking for someone to do that for a while. By now I've figured my life out Confused

What area are you in?

chums

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 6:55 pm
I actually just saw someone in Lakewood advertising this. It was in one of the weekly circulars.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 7:08 pm
I actually do this, but not for suppers or meals, I do hors d'oevres for ppl. when they are making a nice party or something...
I think it is a great idea, and if I would have a big kitchen I would do it!

Crayon210

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 7:17 pm
Raisin wrote:
GR wrote:

It's different because if someone is making money from the food, there needs to be someone watching/checking to make sure that the person doesn't CHV do something wrong in the interests of her business.

While I might eat in a restaurant owner's home, I wouldn't eat in his restaurant if it didn't have a hechsher (ודי למבין).

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 7:20 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
Raisin wrote:
GR wrote:

It's different because if someone is making money from the food, there needs to be someone watching/checking to make sure that the person doesn't CHV do something wrong in the interests of her business.

While I might eat in a restaurant owner's home, I wouldn't eat in his restaurant if it didn't have a hechsher (ודי למבין).

So in all these stories from the shtetl, did the inns have hechsherim? or did people just rely on the frumness of the innkeeper?

Crayon210

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 7:30 pm
I have no idea, but I know that life was a lot simpler and different then.

gryp

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 8:49 pm
I don't know if most people take meals. Do they?

I don't but not just because of hechsherim but also because I need to be assured of the cleanliness of the food. (V'dai L'maivin, LOL. I don't want to elaborate.)

SingALong

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 11:22 pm
I used the person in lakewood who did this when I had a baby 2 weeks b/4 pesach and I felt like my friends and neighbors were all slaving away 4 pesach and not really making chometz stuff so I didnt want to ask ppl to make me suppers.
so the lakewood person was great, delicious and she delivered. I would totally use her again like when I have a baby or if I make pesach. seh had delicious and healthy stuff. I think I paid $30 a night for 5 portions, I cant remember. shabbos she also made me a ton of stuff so I paid morelike over 100 but it was a lot, my family came

morkush

Post Fri, Sep 12 2008, 2:35 am
It is a quite a popular thing in my neighbourhood in yereushalayim. I guess becuase there are so many people here without family to help them, this is a very good thing when you just aren't managing.
I often wander though. None of them have hechsherim. They advertise as "all ingredients are badatz" or "under the haskama of ______". But I still don't get it. That is NOT a hechsher.
But from what I hear, they are all pretty busy! So good luck with it! And if no-one else does it in your neighbourhood, then there is a big chance that it will be pretty popular.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics