Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Selling home-cooked meals in the community
Previous  1  2  3

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2008, 3:35 am
Crayon210 wrote:
Raisin wrote:
GR wrote:
I like the idea, I considered it too, a while back. But I think most people want a hechsher on the food which is why I vetoed my idea.

yet most people will take bikur cholim meals.

It's different because if someone is making money from the food, there needs to be someone watching/checking to make sure that the person doesn't CHV do something wrong in the interests of her business.

While I might eat in a restaurant owner's home, I wouldn't eat in his restaurant if it didn't have a hechsher (ודי למבין).

FYI When my cousin had a pizza shop the hechsher appointed him as his own mashgiach, no kidding. And it wasn't some fly by night hashgacha Confused

Mirabelle

Post Fri, Sep 12 2008, 8:53 am
Can someone PM me the name and number of the person in Lakewood who does this?

Just a good idea to the info around in case we need it....

tovarena

Post Fri, Sep 12 2008, 8:54 am
There are a few dairy restaurants like that here. If the owner is a frum Yid, they don't generally need a full time mashgiach. And certainly, our vaad allows ice cream stores to not have a mashgiach at all. Okay, they're not cooking anything, but they could still bring stuff in that isn't kosher.

Crayon210

Post Fri, Sep 12 2008, 10:07 am
amother wrote:
Crayon210 wrote:
Raisin wrote:
GR wrote:
I like the idea, I considered it too, a while back. But I think most people want a hechsher on the food which is why I vetoed my idea.

yet most people will take bikur cholim meals.

It's different because if someone is making money from the food, there needs to be someone watching/checking to make sure that the person doesn't CHV do something wrong in the interests of her business.

While I might eat in a restaurant owner's home, I wouldn't eat in his restaurant if it didn't have a hechsher (ודי למבין).

FYI When my cousin had a pizza shop the hechsher appointed him as his own mashgiach, no kidding. And it wasn't some fly by night hashgacha Confused

Very odd. Very suspicious.

mumoo

Post Fri, Sep 12 2008, 10:27 am
Hashgacha aside, I would imagine the local health department has an interest in food preparation and selling.

I knew a woman who sold food out of her house with neither approval. People bought but that's becasue they didn't see the dog hair all over the house Puke

regarding shtetl kashrus: no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives made keeping kosher straightforward

amother

Post Fri, Sep 12 2008, 10:54 am
thanks for all of your replys! I am talking about something really small. like making supper twice a week for one or two people.....

Mommish

Post Sat, Sep 13 2008, 9:20 pm
Instead of cooking from home you could make the first good takeout shop in CH, or even better, a nice sit-down restaurant with waitstaff. (I know, I know, I'm dreaming...)

amother

Post Sat, Sep 13 2008, 10:09 pm
I have thought about using such a service. Does anyone know a woman in Baltimore who would come to my house once or twice a week for an afternoon? I would much rather pay someone to cook than to throw money away on a cleaning lady.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics