Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Babys stuffed nose

ohbaby!

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 6:37 pm
any ideas how to "clear" baby's stuffed nose,when baby doesnt let u come close to his nose no matter what? Crying
Its very hard for my 8 months old baby to fall asleep with her stuffed nose...

Crayon210

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 6:38 pm
Work very hard with the aspirator.

shoy18

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 6:44 pm
ask the dr if you can give the baby a decongestent, I mean if your not one of those "natural" people who doesnt beleive in that stuff

my dr. told me to stay away from asperators

mother48

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 10:57 pm
keep a hudmidifier in the room. works wonders.

Meema2Kids

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 11:15 pm
I put a couple drops of saline spray and then use the aspirator. But if the baby won't let you near his nose.... I guess that won't work.

ohbaby!

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 12:16 am
Thanks for ur replies! Why doesnt the doctor let aspirators?? Question

baby's mom

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 12:24 am
Are you nursing? I would squirt some breastmilk into his nose quickly...

ElTam

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 12:57 pm
I second the recommendations for breastmilk up the nose (or on a qtip and swished around in the nose) and a humidifier.

Aspirators can easily be used improperly (too far in, too much suction), causing swelling and worse congestion. Our doctor also said not to use, as did the nurses at the hospital.

baby's mom

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 1:05 pm
I second the humidifier. I would use the warm one. I heard the cold mist ones may cause pneumonia. What I also recommend is putting a pillow between the sheet and the matress so that his head is slightly elevated thereby helping him breathe better.

ohbaby!

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 2:09 pm
That is interesting- to put some breastmilk in her nose,why would it help???0 Wink

shaina punim

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 2:49 pm
go in a steamed bathroom, that helps clear them up.

ElTam

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 4:38 pm
breatmilk is truly "liquid gold." It clears up baby acne in less than a day in my experience. I have also known mothers who had good results using it for eczema and also for cradle cap. It's just got amazing properties.

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 8:21 pm
I heard that breastmilk is good for eye infections too.

Excuse my ignorance, what is a aspirator, is it the thing thats I oval at the bottom and has this tube at the top to suction out the mucous?

I used a few drops of saline solution, and than his nose would run and I would wipe it up.

elisecohen

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 8:26 pm
Let baby take a warm bath. Even better, let baby take a warm bath with a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil added.

If you have a nebulizer around, you can run it just with saline (sold behind the counter at most pharmacies as "BronchoSaline"), without any actual medication. It's wonderful for congestion, and many babies actually like it. Just point the nebulizer cup at baby's face; baby may want to play with it, suck on it, chew on it, etc, which is fine too.

You can use the eucalyptus patches they sell for children's coughs; don't put it right on baby's skin to avoid irritation, just stick it to the inside of the onesie or outfit. Works like vaporub without the risk of skin irritation.

baby's mom

Post Sat, Dec 24 2005, 10:55 pm
ohbaby! wrote:
That is interesting- to put some breastmilk in her nose,why would it help???0 Wink

I just picked up a mothering's magazine and found the info for you. In short:
Breastmilk is sterile, antibacterial, and has many healing properties.
When you put breastmilk into your child's nose for a stuffy nose, it thins the mucus and the milk's antibodies help fight the bacteria.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics