Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Investing in stocks

challi

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 7:50 pm
I'd like to starrt, but have no idea where to begin, trading selling, buying etc. I just want to do it for fun. Oh and I think I would be good at it.

ANy tips?

sllyjllybn

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 8:18 pm
A very safe thing to do is to invest in a mutual fund. I don't know the exact details but I know its less risky. I think the bank or investing company invest your money into stocks that they think are safe choices so you don't have to worry about which stock is what and stuff like that.
The stock market for dummies might interest you!

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 8:51 pm
I signed up to etrade but then I realized the minimum deposit is $5,000 so the account is just sitting there waiting for you.

NativeMom

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 8:54 pm
My grandmother bought a bunch of shares for me when I was a baby. I now have access to them and deal with it all on computershare.com. You can buy and sell shares on the website.

HealthCoach

Post Thu, Sep 11 2008, 10:49 pm
google virtual trading, and you can set up a virtual portfolio and you can make sure you know what you are doing before you start trading for real. It seems to be a bear market so unless you plan on putting money in and letting it sit for years, it's a tough time to make money that way.

small bean

Post Fri, Sep 12 2008, 12:45 pm
I work in stocks. mutual funds is not fun and they follow the market. so right now you'll make about 1.5% if your lucky on most mutual funds. the thing with stocks if you have to be on top of it. if you have any specific questions let me know... just one thing do not invest in gold or oil now.

ShakleeMom

Post Fri, Sep 12 2008, 5:28 pm
Little Engine wrote:
google virtual trading, and you can set up a virtual portfolio and you can make sure you know what you are doing before you start trading for real. It seems to be a bear market so unless you plan on putting money in and letting it sit for years, it's a tough time to make money that way.
Virtual meaning you’re not physically trading a paper stock =- but it is real money, right?

bonitag1

Post Fri, Sep 12 2008, 7:51 pm
Virtual trading means you're not using real money or really buying/selling stocks. You choose stocks that you think are good investments, set up a portfolio, and see how you do. As "small bean" pointed out, these are pretty perilous times for novice investing (or even for experts) -- the market is very volatile and the trend has been down since the beginning of the year. But there's no harm taking the time now to learn. I recommend a book called "Get Your Share: The Everyday Woman's Guide to Striking it Rich in the Stock Market" by Julie Stav.

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Sep 13 2008, 10:03 pm
If there’s no money involved, what’s the point – just to see if you did wisely, and then duplicate your methods with real money?

challi

Post Sat, Sep 13 2008, 11:37 pm
thank you everyone. I think I will try that virtual stock trading before I start for real sounds good. WHile I'd like to make money (obviously) I more want to just see if I can do it, but no risk that much money.

ok well if anyone has any more advice to share let me know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics