Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Grey Kneidlach... Why?
1  2  Next

pinktichel

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 8:25 am
I followed the recipe from the Puple Cookbook (AKA Spice and Spirit).

Never made kneidlach from scratch before. embarrassed They weren't fluffy like my sis said hers are and they were a light grey color. Highly embarrassing to serve. Their in the garbage (luckily I was saved... they were left out of the freezer and only discovered it when it was too late.)

So, how do I get fluffy, WHITE kneidlach like the mixes give me?

Darn... anonymous feature is disabled. Rolling Eyes

catonmylap

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 8:28 am
I don't have an answer for you.

But you don't need to be embarrassed. I've definitely made bad kneidlach a whole bunch of times in my life.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 8:31 am
Did you make them in Israel? The matza/meal is different here.

shopaholic

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 9:05 am
I use that recipe, It never comes out fluffy (remember Tanta Pearl's?) but they aren't grey. must be the matza meal. What company are you using?

greenfire

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 9:58 am
I buy the matzoh ball mix ... simply because they are nice and fluffy ... I think it's the baking powder or something ...

could the grey be because of onions - I wonder ... Scratching Head ...

sarahd

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 1:47 pm
Usually when you use Pesach (shemura) matzo meal, the matzo balls will come out gray - but they taste fine anyhow. Use the very white matzo meal and you should have no problem.

drumjj

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 1:50 pm
which matza meal are u using. I always make that recipe the one on page 140 or something like that and they are always fine. use the rakusens blue pkt and not the red pkt and it should work out ok ive never had a problem and ive been using it for years. actually its one of the only things ive managed to never mess up

octopus

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 2:12 pm
I like that recipe from the purple cookbook,too.

But mine do not come out fluffy, either. Ppl put baking powder in to make them fluffy?

cookielady

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 2:15 pm
I use seltzer instead of water in the recipe. I think that helps them stay lighter. Also make sure the pot is large enough. When you crowd the knaidlach they will be heavier.

pinktichel

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 2:57 pm
drumjj wrote:
which matza meal are u using. I always make that recipe the one on page 140 or something like that and they are always fine. use the rakusens blue pkt and not the red pkt and it should work out ok ive never had a problem and ive been using it for years. actually its one of the only things ive managed to never mess up

Using the same matza meal... Rakusens blue packaging.
Hey, maybe I can pay you to make them for me? LOL

I guess I'll try seltzer and I'll do a single recipe at a time until I get a huge pot (not that that will help the grey problem).

Now, how do I fix the grey color problem. IMO, that's worse than eating canon balls!!

drumjj

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 2:59 pm
I just use cold tap water and ye I do it in a bigish pot but I really dont know why they were grey. sometimes maybe when they are left too long out the fridge. did u follow the instructions according to the book. and ye I can make them for u. apparantly my hub might be coming to u on thurs night

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 3:15 pm
if you used whole wheat matza meal they should have been gray. grey isn't bad.

for fluffy, add some extra water. I don't use a recipe, just go with the flow, and make them fluffier or heavier depending on the crowd (sil likes heavy ones.)

it's really a basic recipe, once you know the ingredients and what consistency you want there's really no need for measurements.

seltzer supposedly helps the fluffiness. I use seltzer but I think the real difference is in proportion of water to matza meal. you can also use some of the chicken soup as liquid for them.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 3:55 pm
I just made that recipe using rakusens medium matza meal (packs are different colours depending on if it is pesach stock or not) and it came out fine. kbd has a recipe thats a little more complicated, they come out a little nicer, not necessarily worth the effort.

I leave mine in water (or soup) till I serve them. Did you take them out of the water? maybe that is why.

Cdlf

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 6:37 pm
I couldn't find my usual red and yellow box this week so I bought Mischpacha Knaidel Mix-yellow box. Then I got really annoyed because it said on it Kosher for Pesach and all year round on it!! But I had already made the mixture with eggs and oil and I mist tell you all they came out the most beautiful, huge matzah balls!! And yummy and fluffy too!! I told my kids "Don't judge a book by it's cover"!!

Tefila

Post Sun, Sep 14 2008, 6:42 pm
Psss uses seltzer or soda water instead of reg, and they are a taste of Gan Eden. Wink

ihyphenated

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 8:02 pm
manishevitz matza ball and streits matza ball mix have NO baking powder- I read the ingredients and was like- matza meal and salt????? you're kidding. thats the last time I bought packaged matza ball mix :-) I just buy the big tubs of matza meal for pesach and it lasts me the whole year. plus, any leftover matza gets ground up in my cuisinart after pesach and used for matza meal.
if you boil things with eggs (dumplings, whatever) the eggs can cook hard and fast and get kinda greyish especially in an iron pot- like scrambling eggs over too high heat or even if you overcook a hardboiled egg it gets that grey ring around the yolk??? that might be turning your kneidlach grey.

bubby

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 10:01 am
Call the maven...YOUR bubby!!

Seraph

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 10:35 am
try using this recipe- its never failed me:

4 large or 5 medium eggs
3 tablespoons oil
.25 cups seltzer
1 cup matza meal
1 teaspoon salt
black pepper
onion powder

mix and let sit in the fridge an hour.

boil it in water with sugar and salt, covered, for an hour.

emi1812

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 4:40 pm
ihyphenated wrote:
manishevitz matza ball and streits matza ball mix have NO baking powder- I read the ingredients and was like- matza meal and salt????? you're kidding. thats the last time I bought packaged matza ball mix :-) I just buy the big tubs of matza meal for pesach and it lasts me the whole year. plus, any leftover matza gets ground up in my cuisinart after pesach and used for matza meal.
if you boil things with eggs (dumplings, whatever) the eggs can cook hard and fast and get kinda greyish especially in an iron pot- like scrambling eggs over too high heat or even if you overcook a hardboiled egg it gets that grey ring around the yolk??? that might be turning your kneidlach grey.

I know this is 13 years later, but I saw this and wanted to say that Streits matzah ball mix actually does have baking powder and spices in it. It’s still worthwhile for me because I don’t have to commit to buying a whole thing of matzah meal, only to have it sitting in the pantry going stale.

Raisin

Post Thu, Jan 06 2022, 4:48 pm
This is weird seeing all these old posters!!! (one of whom is no longer with us Sad ) So surreal.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics