Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where should I live?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 12:56 pm
Atali wrote:
I would say Baltimore. It is a very mixed community with both Yeshivish and MO, low housing prices, lots of kosher food, plenty of shuls to choose from, and several schools.

Most houses in the county - where the frum people live - start at 300k.

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 12:57 pm
ur right chaylizi

so how abt south bend?
Amother- PM me if u wanna kno abt it

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 1:26 pm
I had a classmate from South Bend, I think she still lives there. I know that she's married to a yeshivisha guy. Is that what the community is like? If so, I'm not interested in that.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 2:18 pm
there is a yeshiva in south bend (as there are in many places). I know several people from my area who married guys from south bend. some were yeshivish & some weren't. it doesn't hurt to do research, most communities are multifaceted.

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 2:30 pm
the community consists of 2 types of ppl.
yeshivish imports from lkwd and ny and baalei teshuva who are just plain frum.

the community is very nice and everyone gets along with eachother beautifully.

I believe ATLEAST 10 families moved in over the summer. Its really growing over there now.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 3:18 pm
RivkiA wrote:

I believe ATLEAST 10 families moved in over the summer. Its really growing over there now.

Maybe I'll pm you, but what's the weather like?

Tamiri

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 3:22 pm
chaylizi wrote:
RivkiA wrote:
nobody said chicago or south bend.

didn't you start a thread a while back about how bad the politics are in chicago? it isn't very cheap to live there either. besides, I said skokie, that should count for something.

Skokie? With no money? Are you kidding?

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 3:25 pm
awww cmon tamiri. I wrote up an impressively varied list of out of town cities.

ClaRivka

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 3:39 pm
amother wrote:
RivkiA wrote:

Maybe I'll pm you, but what's the weather like?

summers and winters are all normal.
hot in the summer, cold in the winter.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 5:01 pm
chaylizi wrote:
awww cmon tamiri. I wrote up an impressively varied list of out of town cities.

Skokie is considered "out of town"? Maybe to someone in Brooklyn. Have you been there recently? I lived there hmm... let's see 8 years ago. Houses were around 300K then for a dump. Literally. It's very upscale, at least where the Jews live. We wanted to rent - it was $2500/month for a house!

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 5:08 pm
Anywhere out of NYC is called "out of town". It doesn't matter how big the city is or how expensive real estate is. If you don't live in NYC, you're considered "out of town".

chaylizi

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 5:12 pm
I'm a born and bred out of towner. if you aren't a snooty new yorker & you live in the US, then you are out of town. (everyone start collecting their rotten tomatoes. it will jsut add to the total wonderfullness of my day so far)

gumby

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 5:35 pm
In case you are looking into Cleveland they are lacking a milchig cafe and that may be a good business oppurtunity for you or your husband. I think that there are enough people to support one.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 5:53 pm
Hi,
how about rochester, ny? my husband and I are also looking at places to move to. Rochester is a gogreous place to raise children and have a family. theres a yeshiva, girls high school, a more "modern" day school and a more yeshivish day school. theres a butcher, baker, they are also working on opening up a deli in the jewish home there. Its a beautiful community, the cost of living is cheap compared to many other places (5 bedroom house is about 200k w/ huge backyard). everyone is very friendly there, but you also need a car. good luck! let me know if have nay other ques. 3hrs from TO 5 hour drive fom nyc.

greenfire

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 6:22 pm
gumby wrote:
In case you are looking into Cleveland they are lacking a milchig cafe and that may be a good business oppurtunity for you or your husband. I think that there are enough people to support one.

they used to have a cafe J ... it closed down ... you would have to check why that happened before you venture into something like that and they do have a bagel shop ...

Atali

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 6:27 pm
DefyGravity wrote:
Atali wrote:
I would say Baltimore. It is a very mixed community with both Yeshivish and MO, low housing prices, lots of kosher food, plenty of shuls to choose from, and several schools.

Most houses in the county - where the frum people live - start at 300k.

Yes, but who says you have to live in the county? I live in the city and here you can get a semi-detached for $175k and a fully detached for $220 or so, in a safe frum neighborhood, and get downpayment assistance as well

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 9:53 am
Obviously, you don't have to live in the County, but the taxes are lower here, and it's safer.

It also depends what type of community you want to live in. It seems to me like that area is fairly yeshivish.

I still think the house prices you posted are kind of low, unless you want to live in murderville.

Atali

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 10:29 am
DefyGravity wrote:
Obviously, you don't have to live in the County, but the taxes are lower here, and it's safer.

It also depends what type of community you want to live in. It seems to me like that area is fairly yeshivish.

I still think the house prices you posted are kind of low, unless you want to live in murderville.

That is true, my block is more on the Yeshivish side. I would think someone like OP would probably still fit in, though. I live on a safe block in the Cross Country/Taney area and there is a semi-detached available with an asking price of $199k and a fully detached recently sold for $215k (I think), so my prices aren't so off.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 10:41 am
Atali wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

That is true, my block is more on the Yeshivish side. I would think someone like OP would probably still fit in, though. I live on a safe block in the Cross Country/Taney area and there is a semi-detached available with an asking price of $199k and a fully detached recently sold for $215k (I think), so my prices aren't so off.

op here:
I would feel fine on a block like that, but my husband wouldn't.

Atali

Post Tue, Sep 16 2008, 10:48 am
amother wrote:
Atali wrote:
DefyGravity wrote:

op here:
I would feel fine on a block like that, but my husband wouldn't.

In that case the county would probably be a better bet. My mother lives in the county and her block has a large variety of families, including Yeshivish, MO, and not frum at all. Houses in her area start at about $350k.

In terms of schools, probably Rambam is the best bet. It is Religious Zionist and starting next year will be seperate for boys and girls from first grade and up.

www.yrambam.org.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating