Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Graphic Design

Charnahlah

Post Mon, Sep 15 2008, 11:58 am
Hello,
I am considering going back to school to get a certificate in graphic design. Does anyone do this for a living and what can you tell me about it? What do you advise? I am willing to put in the time and money (classes/buying a computer and the programs) but want to make sure that when I am done, it will pay off (jobs, opportunities).
Thanks for any advice or thoughts...

dw_paprika

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 2:23 am
I work in graphics design and BH it is a successful business. Let me try to share my own experience as a freelance GA and designer:

PROS:
* I'm assuming that f you decided to go for that, you must enjoy designing. It's great to do something you love.
* The salary is good but don't let yourself be fooled bynumbers. GAs have MANY expenses and MANY unpaid-for hours to invest every day...
* You get to work from home
* Your hours are flexible, so that you can be there for your child if s/he's sick, hope out on a morning if you need to... and then make up for it at night

CONS:
There are no set hours. Yes, even if you really-really want to. If you are a freelancer, and you promised to have something ready by a certain deadline (and almost every project has that) - be prepared to spend some very uncomfortable hours (kids home, 3:00 am..) sometimes. Of course you can do a lot to minimize those situations, but they are going to happen and you have to be a flexible and easy-going person for that.
* You usually will have to chase people for the payment. There are steps you can take to try and avoid that, but it's bound to happen anyway (in our case, that's my husband's job Confused )
* You can't sleep on the job. Graphic design is constantly changing and you must too. And your equipment too, of course..
* VERY Hard beginnings..

You do have to know yourself though:
* are you a people's person? You will be working with many people, some of them will have very different tastes than yours. Some will be hard to deal with. Some will have their meshigas which you will have to not only deal with, but also respect. Your pleasant and patient service is crucial. Can you do that?
* Can you stick up for your rights/prices? If someone will tell you"$300?!?! That's murder!!" Will you calmly assert that that is the price, or will you say "uh.. ok then.. I'll make it for $80" and then find that you just wasted a week of your life for $80...

I also find that it is not so easy to find work in graphic deisgn, because there really are so many designers out there. But there are not many GOOD designers. So if you're good - you will, BEZH have work. But establishign your good name (and becoming that good..) takes time!!! Personally - I worked in an office job for three years every morning, and then took odd graphics jobs to work on at night. It was a very difficult 3 years, working non stop (with BH kids being born, one with special needs, etc. - - I tell you , it was not easy), but at the end of those three years I felt I was able to quit my regular job and open my own office.

And I haven't regretted it since.

square_peg

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 9:37 am
dw_paprika wrote:

* You can't sleep on the job. Graphic design is constantly changing and you must too. And your equipment too, of course..

But there are not many GOOD designers. So if you're good - you will, BEZH have work. .

Great points!

OldYoung

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 9:50 am
I work for an organization that is always sending out big design jobs. For your own protection, I will make a few recommendations that can help your work move along more smoothly.

Always quote before you start the job. Be upfront about how much it will cost. Mention beforehand that extra text work, more revisions may add more to the fee, etc. But if you give them a number upfront, you have a much better chance of receiving that full amount. Work it out first to avoid disagreements after you've already finished doing all the hard work.

Also, many organizations will hire based on your portfolio. Take the time to put together something really beautiful. It will pay!!! If it is messy, they will look for someone nicer. If it is mediocre, they'll still look for someone nicer. If it's dazzling, neat, and easy to view, they'll consider using you.

Good luck!!! Who knows? Maybe we'll be your client. Wink

Charnahlah

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 9:57 am
Thank you everyone for your time and thoughtful/concise responses. I really appreciate it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics