Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Paying for Simchos

sarab

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 9:31 pm
Any advice on how to pay for a chasuna and not go into debt?

octopus

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 9:34 pm
it depends where you are making the chasunah.

ateres shlomo in bklyn is very reasonable and a nice hall.

mommalah

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 9:39 pm
Yes. A decent wedding can be had for about 10K. I had mine at Ateres Shlomo and it was pretty nice.
Not everyone needs to be invited. It is not about impressing anyone. There are people who've done it for a lot less by making it very small and in someone's home. It is not the end of the world. I am so impressed with people who make simple, practical weddings outside the norm of what others expect a wedding to be.

octopus

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 9:47 pm
I bought my wedding gown at valentinas (a few blocks away from ateres shlomo). I spent $1000 on gown, petticoat and crown. She gave me a good price- it was really $1300 ( b/c my fam gives her a lot of business from siblings weddings). she has pricey gowns and cheaper ones. My fit me like a glove.

sunshine!

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 9:52 pm
Check out the gemachs for gown etc. Alot of them carry up-to-date quality gowns for free or a nominal fee. There are halls that don't charge an arm or a leg, and some that have no minimum stipulation, so if you have a smaller wedding party, you won't have to guarantee a certain number of couples. A one man band is definitely cutting costs as opposed to a full band, and silk flower arrangements (that look real) can be had from a gemach as well (Try Kollel Mateh Efrayim). There are many gemachs that help defray the cost of setting up a kallah in a new home if the situation warrants it. There is Yad Batya L'kallah, Ten Yad, Lev Rivkie, and others. Good Luck!

Fabulous

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 9:53 pm
I did go to wilhelm's for a lot of kitchen stuff but I also bought a lot online on sale.

ganizzy

Post Wed, Sep 17 2008, 10:50 pm
invite family and out of town for the meal, and then everyone else for simchas chosson vekalla with a dessert table
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics