Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What IS this????
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 9:57 am
Ruchel wrote:
why attack? Question
As long as the head is covered!

I know at least some rabbis ruled a toupet or wig is fine. Many older people prefer a hat, cap, bérêt over or instead a kippa... to a kippa. They're just not used to them worn outside.

People here get very up-in-arms I've noticed. If I were to make a comment about a man wearing a hat or a toupee instead of a yarmulke, I suspect that they would attack me/him thinking he was ashamed, etc.

Smile

amother

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 10:00 am
I thought toupees were assur, not just as a yarmulka replacement, but because it is customary for women to wear wigs, not men.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 10:01 am
You're not wrong about it... there are people who don't accept this although it is definitely cultural, and there are still heterim to work bare head if the boss doesn't accept a head covering, etc...

My husband had a friend who worked in a place where people need to look "neutral" and he got a heter from a big time rav (very charedi too) to not wear anything during his job...

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 10:52 am
It is a wig meant for women who are balding at the top. You put that piece in the middle of the head and tease the front hair into it to blend it in. This way it looks natural.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 10:54 am
A toupee is not assur because its beged isha. At one time, men wore wigs too, Some poskim hold that a toupee is a fine replacement for a kippa. There is no actual halachic source for the modern day kippa anyway.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 10:55 am
And here I was thinking that it was a squirrel or other rodent which got caught under a steam-roller, twice! Once vertically and once horizontally.
It looks like road-kill.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 11:44 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
A toupee is not assur because its beged isha. At one time, men wore wigs too

ditto
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics