Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
I need help with a mouse
1  2  Next

bubby

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 9:14 am
OK, here's the thing.

For the second time this week, when I went into the kitchen to wash negel vasser & say Brachas I saw a mouse scurry from the back corner behind the sink to my fridge & disappear. DH is away, my throat is sore from screaming, & I'm still shaking an hour later.

I can't block up holes, there are just too many because of construction & renovations (they cut the wall to recess my fridge & I can't get it out, but mice can get through anything, I'm an expert.) I told DH when he comes back tonight he has to set glue traps en route. But I'm sick from it. Across the hall I have new neighbors. I took a pie over & the first thing she said was her cleaning lady saw a live mouse in the oven. Puke

I WANT A CAT. Actually, I want a cat for a few days in my apt so it can catomize the apartment & mice will stay away. Then I want it to live in the basement. HOWEVER, my neighbors will let it escape, they don't want it, their kids will torture it etc etc. We won't need to feed it, there are nough mice to keep it well fed! I live in a high end condo & I so want to GET OUT!!! My neighbors just won't cooperate...they throw the poison away that the exterminator sets out & leave food out. I honestly think they don't care about the mice.

HELP!!!!

Fabulous

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 9:25 am
I have a solution that is not that humane but works. My parents bought something in the hardware store and bought a water trap. Basically the cheese goes at the end of a tube. Once the mouse comes close it gets caught in the tube and transported into a box of water where it drowns. It is not nice, but it works.

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 9:28 am
btw - not all cats are mousers ... but good luck on this one ... *meow*

mummy-bh

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 10:42 am
A mouse can get through a whole the size of a pencil.
Would it be possible to buy some poison -filled containers that you put in various places like behind the fridge, washing machine etc. The mouse doesn't die in these 'traps', it will take the poison back to wherever it goes (basement?) and die there. The good thing about using these is that yiou don't have to deal with a dead rodent.

Quote:
catomize
I like this word!

bubby

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 10:47 am
They've gorged themselves on the poison under my fridge & elsewhere. This is a gourmet mouse Crying

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 10:50 am
mummy-bh wrote:
A mouse can get through a whole the size of a pencil.
Would it be possible to buy some poison -filled containers that you put in various places like behind the fridge, washing machine etc. The mouse doesn't die in these 'traps', it will take the poison back to wherever it goes (basement?) and die there. The good thing about using these is that yiou don't have to deal with a dead rodent.

Quote:
catomize
I like this word!

we have those traps. still hear them in the garage, not in the rest of the house much.

Tehilla

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 10:54 am
we had a horrible mouse problem. indescribable. no exterminator was doing proper work. finally, my dear landlords (and I mean it, they're great!) located a yid in Boro Park who guarantees his work for a year. it's not cheap, but I'm telling you we haven't seen one since then and we were infested. B"H B"H B"H.

may it continue to be so! if you are interested I'll ask them for his number. they tried at least 3-4 others...no one works like this yid.

Lani22

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 11:47 am
uch im dealing with the same thing right now. It makes me sick!!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 3:42 pm
I know this isn't popular, but use the snap traps, not the glue. and bait them even if they are self baited. use peanut butter, not cheese. glue traps are quite cruel, serious tzaar baalei chaim. if you do catch a mouse on one, please release it elsewhere: oil will remove the glue.

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 3:57 pm
Quote:
The good thing about using these is that yiou don't have to deal with a dead rodent.

But you have to deal with the stench of dead mice, and have no idea where they they are! thats even worse.

We are also dealing with this now. We use the snap traps and caught a few already. Luckily my dh has no problem taking care of them.

HooRYou

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 4:13 pm
try reading
http://www.aish.com/spirituali.....e.asp

its not about mice but its a great read!

ganizzy

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 4:48 pm
ive got the best solution.

we lived in an apt next to a junk collector who reeked. we were absolutely infested, seeing mice all the time. we bought a rat zapper. basically its a small box that has an opening at one end. you put the food in, nuts or s/t with a smell and then turn on the switch. when the mouse comes to get the food it trips the sensor and it get zapped - its killed in one second. you can see if a mouse was caught if the red light on top of the box is blinking. then u close ur eyes, pick up the box and empty it in the garbage and with ur eyes still closed you cover the garbage and presto you never saw the mouse. then you just put some more food in, flip the switch and ur good to go again. you just have to make sure every few days or every few zaps that the batteries didnt die. the rat zappers cost about $30 but theyre worh it. we were spending over $30 a month in traps.

anyways the frst night we got it, we set it and then every time one of us got up to our newborn, we would empty the box and rest it. in 48 hrs. we caught 17 - no exaggeratiion!!! after that, it was only here or there bh.

when we moved we took our 2 boxes to ca, but meanwhile theyre just sitting in the closet. maybe I should list it on craigslist or s/t

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 5:07 pm
amother wrote:
Quote:
The good thing about using these is that yiou don't have to deal with a dead rodent.

But you have to deal with the stench of dead mice, and have no idea where they they are! thats even worse.

precisely what I was going to say ... a corpse never smells pretty ... Puke

ganizzy wrote:
when we moved we took our 2 boxes to ca, but meanwhile theyre just sitting in the closet. maybe I should list it on craigslist or s/t

or something ?Scratching Head give em to bubby Idea

ganizzy

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 5:12 pm
bubbys in ny and im in cali, but I can ship if she wants

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 5:13 pm
go to a judaica store and buy a picture of r' shayala kerestirer. your mice will disappear. I'm not kidding.

Tehilla

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 6:23 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
go to a judaica store and buy a picture of r' shayala kerestirer. your mice will disappear. I'm not kidding.

we tried that. didn't work. nothing worked except the Karlin-Stoliner chassid exterminator from BP.

grin

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 6:30 pm
Spread the poison in various places like behind the fridge, washing machine etc. The mouse then finds its way back outside, and dies there where it belongs.

dora

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 6:36 pm
We lived in a very nice apt. that was infested, the landlady refused to help, so after many sleepless nights and many tears (mine) we moved.

Tehilla

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 6:37 pm
most poison no longer works in NY.

various traps can work with varying success, but without a closed up hole you're in trouble.

I guess I'm more skeptical of anything working because we spent a really long time trying everything.

snap traps, glue traps, fold-up glue traps, 4 exterminators, pictures of the Rebbe that Mama Bear mentioned, extra tzedaka & mitzvos & tefilos, steel wool in the holes, and more.

it got so bad that I would feel them hit the beds we were sleeping on at night, and see multiple mice running around at one time. this is with a cleaning lady, and sweeping multiple times a day.

finally, we hired this exterminator I've mentioned already. he explained a few things--like the fact that nowadays mice in NY will even find their way through steel wool sometimes. he spent hours going around the whole house and blocking off the holes in a way I've never seen before. places I didn't even know were holes got blocked! places I thought were, ended up being nothing. he advised us on the grates as well.

from the day he finished I didn't see one mouse, whereas before that I would see them all day and all night and they weren't even scared of us any more. they figured out how to jump over the glue traps and get off. snap traps would be left empty of food...

seriously, if you try a few things and nothing works please consider this person.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 6:42 pm
I'm our household pest control expert.

I've said before and others have said it, but you must find the holes. Walk around with a flashlight, examining floorboards along the wall, in corners, behind appliances and especially under and around radiators. They come in holes as small as dimes, so plug up everything with steel wool and/or epoxy. Check again periodically.

Do not use glue traps. They're unnecessarily cruel. No need to be so cruel, they don't work better than anything else.

I won't recommend a specific kind of trap, because I use have-a-heart live traps and set them free, but any trap where they're struggling to live, taking time to die, is cruel. Especially glue traps, where they sometimes have terrible things happen to their feet.

Find the holes.
Find the holes.
Find the holes.

We live in an old building with lots of cracks between floorboards, behind and around and under things. I find the holes, I plug them up. It's the only way to handle it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics