Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Please help me decide where to put the fabric for a dress
1  2  Next

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 11:19 am
Confused

Last edited by yo'ma on Sun, Feb 01 2009, 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total

BlumaG

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 11:43 am
its a gorgeous design - ur kiddies are so lucky to get custom yom tov clothes -sorry cant b more helpful

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 11:49 am
BlumaG wrote:
its a gorgeous design - ur kiddies are so lucky to get custom yom tov clothes -sorry cant b more helpful

thank you, but I need help

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 12:26 pm
Are you set on using all three fabrics? I would just stick with the bumpy blue and the brown circles. Then alternate - blue bodice, brown flower and belt, brown top and bottom tiers, with the bumpy blue in the middle. I'd make sure there was a wide strip of bumpy blue below where the belt ends and the first brown tier starts.

Aidelmom

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 12:29 pm
I'm confused. How can you have 2 diff patterns together?

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 12:31 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
Are you set on using all three fabrics? I would just stick with the bumpy blue and the brown circles. Then alternate - blue bodice, brown flower and belt, brown top and bottom tiers, with the bumpy blue in the middle. I'd make sure there was a wide strip of bumpy blue below where the belt ends and the first brown tier starts.

I can try that, thanks and yes, there will be a space between the belt and the skirt. The belt will be attached with large buttonholes.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 12:31 pm
Aidelmom wrote:
I'm confused. How can you have 2 diff patterns together?

I can do whatever I want because I'm making it LOL .

Aidelmom

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 12:34 pm
Ha ha

but seriously why don't you contrast with a solid color.. ok al taam vereach ain lehisvakeach

sorry for being critical , I couldn't do any of these in a million years

Last edited by Aidelmom on Thu, Sep 18 2008, 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 12:35 pm
BTW, I would love to learn how to make clothes like this (or any for that matter) Wow!

yo'ma

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 4:18 pm
When I finish it, I'll I"yh post the finished result. BTW, it's not hard at all, but you have to enjoy it, otherwise it's a pain.

greenfire

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 5:14 pm
okay my head went many different ways ... but settling on this:

1. blue
2. brown
3. bumpy blue

reasoning is that the belt is brown and you need it to be a bit away ... and the brown on the bottom would be too far away from the 2 blues ... so I centered it ... leaving the bumpy blue to the last tier since the bodice is bumpy blue too ... this way it's all balanced ...

comprende

mommy24

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 5:38 pm
If you are going to use all 3, greenfire had the right thinking. but I think it would look better with maybe just the bumpy blue and then brown-I think adding the 3rd fabric may be a bit much.

the design is great- I used to sew years ago, I have to find my sewing machine I would really like to start again.

BinahYeteirah

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 9:41 pm
Mimisinger wrote:

I agree. If there were more tiers, you could use all the fabrics, but I think it would look a little strange if the third fabric is only on one tier and nowhere else.

Or you could try making the flower with ruffles of both fabrics. That might tie everything together.

BlumaG

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 9:56 pm
make the whole skirt part the brown color - I think it'll be really cute - cuz u have the blue top and there'll b space between the belt and hte skirt n it'll tie in so nicely - oooh I wish I cud make this - maybe I need to get my sewing machineo ut again

misteray

Post Thu, Sep 18 2008, 11:09 pm
Yo'ma, I agree with a few of the other posters about only using two fabrics. Not sure why you feel you need the third...? I think it'd look nice with using the brown polka dots for the skirt tiers.

What ever happened with the blouse and skirt (?) you said you were in the "middle" of making?

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 7:11 am
misteray wrote:
Yo'ma, I agree with a few of the other posters about only using two fabrics. Not sure why you feel you need the third...? I think it'd look nice with using the brown polka dots for the skirt tiers.

What ever happened with the blouse and skirt (?) you said you were in the "middle" of making?

I finished it, of course. I don't do 2 projects at once.

Bambamama

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 7:19 am
Aidelmom wrote:
Ha ha

but seriously why don't you contrast with a solid color.. ok al taam vereach ain lehisvakeach

sorry for being critical , I couldn't do any of these in a million years

Actually, I think you have a good idea, Aidelmom... I think if you want to use three colors let the the third be a solid to ground the design more. If you have photoshop you can play around with taking samples of the fabric and pasting them on different parts of the dress.

grin

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 8:54 am
I agree with Bambamama - I think that all three together is much too "busy" and that a solid color could even it out more, esp. since the patterns are all different colors.
I've made clothes for them (OK - years ago - before there were so many of them...) and I mixed one solid with one print having the same color as the solid. But then, I tend to be pretty conventional.

greenfire

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 9:12 am
so ... do you like my idea or not ?!?!?! Scratching Head

Tamiri

Post Fri, Sep 19 2008, 9:20 am
yo'ma I am impressed! My mother was a sewer and made many many things for my sister and for me, even matching! She made my wedding dress. I know how much love goes into sewing for your family and I have to say: your daughter is a lucky young lady.

Now, I am going to agree with the other posters. Those three fabrics are making me dizzy looking at them together. I like Aidel's suggestion of using a solid with ONE of the blues (I like the bumpy). I am not a fashion maven but that brown - are you sure that goes on a little girl's dress, especially a blue one?

I would say: solid blue top to match the blue of the bumpy and the other one, then bumpy material for the tiers because it looks to me like it will flow well, then the last blue material (if you must, I don't love it for a little girl) for the decoration.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics