Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Whats in a name
Previous  1  2

proudmom

Post Mon, Nov 29 2004, 8:34 pm
Ozmom wrote:
Proud what about if they have really long mouthfull of names. ?

I still call them by their name. For example My daughter Esther Chana I call her Esther Chana. Zalman Aryeh is Zalman Aryeh and Shoshana Bracha is Shoshana. I dont call my kids nicknames. I feel that you should call them by their proper name by doing that( like I mentioned before )it gives them chizuk..

Another thing, when a person is sick you add a name to them to give them chizuk. Same thing here I like to give my kids chizuk too.

Rochel Leah

Post Mon, Nov 29 2004, 9:46 pm
proud, my parents also were into calling us with our full names, thats why I am rochel leah nad not anything else. so far my son is schneur zalman and we havent found a nickname and his full name has sort of stuck.

Motek

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 12:33 pm
some people I know are particular about calling their children by the names they were given

this will also be a reason for them to give only one name or two names that they will use, and also to give names not conducive to being changed into nicknames

but this is personal preference
we see that many, many Jews, great ones too, used nicknames and also one out of two given names

I don't really see the point in giving a child a string of names (sometimes three!) when they have no intentions of using them

Quote:
is it that the name shapes the person or that the parents had ruach Hakodesh that that is the name suited to this child.

both are true

micki

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 1:21 pm
Quote:
I don't really see the point in giving a child a string of names (sometimes three!) when they have no intentions of using them

yes but sometimes the child is named after a grandmother who had 3 names. like our daughter. I knew I would never call her by all 3- she was only 5 lb too when she was born quite a mouthful but we nicknamed her from th delivery room and that was it. she does know what her "real" name is as do her siblings.

I also know someone who did not believe in using a nickname yet she wanted to call her son shloimy.
so she called him at the bris shloimy shlomo. now when she said shloimy that was his real name.

sarahd

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 5:53 pm
freilich wrote:
Motek, interesting that thing about Yenta.... I never knew!

Someone told me that Yenta comes from the French gentil, which certainly has a different connotation than chatterbox!

Tefila

Post Tue, Nov 30 2004, 5:58 pm
Quote:
Someone told me that Yenta comes from the French gentil, which certainly has a different connotation than chatterbox!

Surprised Learning new things daily Smile

Rivka

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 8:01 pm
I don't see a point in naming a kid a name you will never use, it becomes a wasted name. A nickname is just a pet name of the name you give your child. I only gave my son one name coz I don't see a point in 2 names, I have two names and no one even calls me my second name, most people don't even know it.
Also when people name their child after someone and they are using names they don't like themselves, why are they then giving it to their child who will have it for life?
I think names have an impact when naming after someone. I know someone who was named after an aunt who died of cancer. She then got cancer and also died of it plus she didn't like her name at all and even added on a name.
So maybe the name is something when having someone else who had the name in mind.

Tefila

Post Thu, Dec 02 2004, 2:45 pm
Who says just b/c one doesn't use now 3 names that the child who it was given to will never use it? My kids have no more than two names and even then I shorten it, maybe I shouldn't but I atleast I know they have the chazaka of both names, and anyway for aliyahs both names are used etc:!:

ForeverYoung

Post Fri, Dec 03 2004, 12:30 am
Quote:
Miriams (even though it means bitter)

Miriam also comes form Leharim = uplift

Tefila

Post Fri, Dec 03 2004, 12:39 am
Quote:
Miriam also comes form Leharim = uplift

That explains how all the Miriams I know are Kind, caring individuals Exclamation

miriam

Post Fri, Dec 03 2004, 3:24 pm
Ooooh, Thank you.

Tefila

Post Sun, Dec 12 2004, 1:03 am
Quote:
all the Miriams I know are Kind, caring

and
Quote:
Ooooh, Thank you

It's true isn't it? Smile

avigayil

Post Fri, Dec 17 2004, 12:46 am
Is the same true when we pick our Jewish name?
Or I should say, HaShem picks it for us?
For various reasons, I was not given one at birth, but rather chose it later. It was a rather rough process, but did it at age 26.
Any ideas?
..Avigayil Ruth.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Thu, Oct 18 2007, 7:31 pm
reading through old threads I found this, and thought it was relevant to our recent discussion about names jewish/versus non jewish.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics