Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Anyone from the brooklyn area who plays an instrument?
1  2  Next

Tweedledee

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 8:25 pm
my name is chava rosenbaum (nee levy). I sing and write songs and I have been interested in forming a female band. I don't play an instrument so I would be singing but I am interested if there are any bais yaakov type women musicians in the brooklyn area between the ages of 18 and 30 who play piano, violin, guitar, flute or anything else. this would not really be a rock band at all. my writing/singing style is a softer combination of classical and folk and theatrical sounds. if any of these women write as well or can sing harmony that would be a plus. let me know if you are interested or know someone who would be.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 8:36 pm
well, I'd love to do something like that, but honestly I would have done it before kids. I don't think I'd have time to commit to it, but I'd love to have an occasional jam session. of course, I haven't played the flute in years, my harmonica warped and needs replacing, and I doubt you'd be interested in a tin whistle, though it doesn't matter as my kid dented it. and I haven't played the recorder in quite a while either. I could sing harmony, I suppose...

this sounds like serious fun. where were you a few years ago?!

Tweedledee

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 8:43 pm
you kidding? I love the tin whistle. it's one of my favorite instruments.I love irish instruments in general. I mean that seriously. I have kids too, but I think most women could manage a once a week rehearsal, motzai shabbossim in the winters perhaps. I'd actually preffer married women who know their schedual more or less and can devote a bit of time weekly wheras a sigle girl would need those evenings to date perhaps and would likely leave upon engagement. I'm not saying I don't want single girls but that married woemn should not think whistfully how they should have done this when they were single.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 8:54 pm
wow, I'm impressed. most people I mention a tin whistle to think it's that loud shrieky whistle used by traffic cops...

I miss my tin whistle. my son would love it if I started playing flute again, he loves when I take it out, but my lungs aren't trained anymore and would need some serious practice before playing in a band. I'm seriously thinking of getting a new harmonica, it's really my favorite to play, but I don't know if I will. I'd seriously love to be in a band, but chances are it wouldn't work out for me. I'd love to hear a sample of your music, though.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 8:56 pm
on another note, I'd love to form a jewish choir, and I mean serious choral arrangements. I don't think I have the know-how, though.

octopus

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 8:57 pm
hey, tweedledee, I know you! I'm going to pm you.

Tweedledee

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 8:57 pm
if you think you can get in some practice let me know. an other musicians you know of?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 9:02 pm
sorry, tweedledee, my married musician friend left brooklyn. I know a single girl, but who knows with dating schedules.

Tweedledee

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 9:12 pm
what does she play? maybe she can participate.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 9:14 pm
piano and flute

octopus

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 9:16 pm
my sister (single) plays guitar really well.

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 9:19 pm
I hear the singing all the way to my heart. Keep it up ladies!

Tweedledee

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 9:21 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
piano and flute

nice. I'll m you

Tweedledee

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 9:24 pm
octopus wrote:
my sister (single) plays guitar really well.

how old is she? can she improvise?

I should say for anyone who's interested that if we do this, each musician would have to come up with her own part, and we'd work together to make the arrangement work. I can't write music. so they have to be able to play by ear.

octopus

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 9:25 pm
she's 19 and plays by ear. she can't read music.

Tweedledee

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 9:33 pm
nice. my concern with single girls is that they'll quit when they get engaged and the group will be stranded until they find a new one.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 10:05 pm
how serious a group do you want to make this? recordings, concerts? I'd be interested for the recreational aspect, honestly.

Tweedledee

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 10:07 pm
if we can get to the point of recordings and concerts I would love to. first we have to make the groups get our songs and arrangements together. from there we have to see about how to make it bigger.
what do you play?

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 10:37 pm
I do!! But I wish I had the time now. Joining a band is something I always wanted to do but I just don't think now is the time--I'm in the middle of an almost full-time internship for school, I have a toddler, I'm seven months pregnant, and am in the middle of moving....Maybe in a few years??
My (single) sister plays the flute and the piano. She lives in Flatbush and this seems like something totally up her alley and I have a bit of a feeling that mummiedearest already mentioned her...If you pm me, I could get you in touch with her.

Tweedledee

Post Mon, Oct 06 2008, 10:47 pm
I pmed you
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics