Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Eggfree, Nutfree, Soyfree and Cornfree baked goods

Chanie

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 11:26 am
My nephew has quite a few allergies and I want to bring over some cookies and cakes when I go for Succos. He's allergic to eggs, soy, nuts, and corn. Anyone have delicious, tried and tasted recipes that I can make for them? (I'd like to make things that everyone would enjoy)

Chanie

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 2:33 pm
oh yes, he's also allergic to Milk...

Does anyone have suggestions for recipes? Please!!!!!!!!!!!

Think of your regular recipes. maybe you have one that you never even thought about whether it had eggs in it.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 4:03 pm
Google the SCD diet. There is a full line of kosher products made without any grains. See digestivewellness.com

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 4:10 pm
Can you use spelt or oat flour?

Google egg-free recipes. I know you can use processed black beans with juice to replace eggs and oil in brownie recipes. I've also heard that seltzer can replace eggs. Look it up.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 4:11 pm
You can use banana and yogurt and avocado in your recipes to hold the batter.

mandksima

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 4:12 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
Google the SCD diet. There is a full line of kosher products made without any grains. See digestivewellness.com

She didn't say he couldn't have wheat or gluten. There's the chocolate wacky cake with no eggs and I also have a similiar orange cake recipe. For cookies, you could use the egg substitute powder found in healthfood stores or also use 1 T flax seed meal dissolved in 3 T hot water (let sit 10 min) - that replicates the texture that eggs give in recipes. Try it with any cookie recipe. Just don't use corn, walnut or soy oil. Use rice milk if needed instead of soy milk. My kids were on a much more strict diet so I'm used to substituting.

Let me know if you want the recipe for the choc or orange cake and I also have the choc chip cookie recipe I used to use (just check the chips for soy, nut, corn, etc)

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 4:24 pm
Oh yeah, I didn't even notice that he can have wheat. Just google "wacky cake", it doesn't contain eggs and is supposed to taste good.

You can also make a basic brownie recipe and use a can of processed black beans with the juices for the eggs and oil.

yOungM0mmy

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 4:55 pm
you can make flapjack kinda things - oats, honey, margarine, cinnamon, can add raisins or choc chips if you want. Let me know if you want the exact recipe.

Chanie

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 8:30 pm
yOungM0mmy wrote:
you can make flapjack kinda things - oats, honey, margarine, cinnamon, can add raisins or choc chips if you want. Let me know if you want the exact recipe.

My margerine is made with soy oil :-(

My chocolate chips also say soy lactine (what ever that is, but it says soy so I guess it's unusable)

I will look up this wacky cake recipe, it sounds good.

Thanks for the help, if anyone has any other sugestions , please post. Thanks!

(How does my sil cook everything like this. It must be so dificult)

mandksima

Post Wed, Oct 08 2008, 2:03 am
Chanie wrote:
yOungM0mmy wrote:

My margerine is made with soy oil :-(

My chocolate chips also say soy lactine (what ever that is, but it says soy so I guess it's unusable)

I will look up this wacky cake recipe, it sounds good.

Thanks for the help, if anyone has any other sugestions , please post. Thanks!

(How does my sil cook everything like this. It must be so dificult)

I would double check with your SIL if it is an allergy or food sensitivity. My kids weren't allergic, we just took them off certain foods as they reacted poorly to them and it affected their behavior. Soy oil was fine for us as the culprit I believe was the soy protein, found in other soy products but not the oil(maye margarine too.) The amount was so negligable, it was ok to use. A real allergy couldn't have a drop of it or anything created in a facility using it.

ruth

Post Wed, Oct 08 2008, 2:37 am
[quote="mandksima"]I would double check with your SIL if it is an allergy or food sensitivity. My kids weren't allergic, we just took them off certain foods as they reacted poorly to them and it affected their behavior. Soy oil was fine for us as the culprit I believe was the soy protein, found in other soy products but not the oil(maye margarine too.) The amount was so negligable, it was ok to use. A real allergy couldn't have a drop of it or anything created in a facility using it.[/quote]

I second this. Proteins are usually the problem. But what about safflower oil? Also the health food stores have a shortening that is just palm oil this is a very good substitute for the margerine. If you can use wheat (which is the most common food sesitivity/allergen) then I don't understand why there should be a problem? halva made out of semolina ( or cream of wheat) oil, sugar (look online for receipe) Its spread onto a plate to cool and cubes are cut. What about a fruit cobbler topped with pie crust? look online for substitutes for egg : applesauce, agar-agar, tapioca... sorry, but erev yom tov I can't give you any right now.

Is rice or chickpea flour ok? If so, I can send you a Persian receipe for rice cookies or cookies made with chickpea flour. The recipe calls for margerine, but I would substitute the shortening I mentioned. In anycase think outside the box, why does dessert have to be a cookie/cake substitute? Persians have a kind of rice pudding made out of saffron & sugar. Or: Cook rice with a little extra liquid, add a bit of tehina (seeds ok?) and some honey or maple syrup.

btw the SCD diet relies on almonds a lot.

shana tova v'metuka

sgr

Post Wed, Oct 08 2008, 2:43 am
My daughter has lots of allergies,I have quite a few recipes,pm or email me.

Gmar Chasima Tova.

mamacita

Post Wed, Oct 08 2008, 4:36 am
I make this one all the time, it's always a big hit! (from allrecipes.com called crazy cake)

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
5/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups cold water
2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
2/3 cup vegetable oil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Mix all ingredients right in a 9 x 13 inch pan.
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Frost with your favorite frosting.

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 2:59 am
mandksima wrote:
ShakleeMom wrote:

She didn't say he couldn't have wheat or gluten. There's the chocolate wacky cake with no eggs and I also have a similiar orange cake recipe. For cookies, you could use the egg substitute powder found in healthfood stores or also use 1 T flax seed meal dissolved in 3 T hot water (let sit 10 min) - that replicates the texture that eggs give in recipes. Try it with any cookie recipe. Just don't use corn, walnut or soy oil. Use rice milk if needed instead of soy milk. My kids were on a much more strict diet so I'm used to substituting.

Let me know if you want the recipe for the choc or orange cake and I also have the choc chip cookie recipe I used to use (just check the chips for soy, nut, corn, etc)

I would not use flaxseed if he is allergic to nuts. seeds tend to also be a problem for children allergic to nuts.

ShakleeMom

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 9:20 am
coconut oil is good and makes a taste of chocolate!

grin

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 6:54 am
mandksima wrote:
ShakleeMom wrote:

I know this is from a long time ago, but I would be interested in the recipe for the orange cake
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins