Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Ideas to keep young kids entertained at home on YK

MamaBear

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:02 pm
My kids are 4 1/2 and almost 3. Then there's the one in my belly who will hopefully cooperate nicely on YK. Some ideas to share:

1. I raided the library for a ton of books but didn't tell my kids b/c they always want to read them right away and I want to save them for YK

2. I'm going to help them set up tents (tables and sheets) to hang out in...they always love doing this but we don't do it often. Maybe they'll even "nap" in there for a bit.

3. I'm doing a scavenger hunt for household items. We've done this in the neighborhood but not indoors. I bought little prizes to give them at the end.

4. I'm going to let them eat lunch picnic style on our carpet with a real picnic basket that has been in the closet, untouched since dh and I were dating.

5. Garbage can basketball - find all your balls (most families have tons in various sizes) and empty your garbage can. voila!

6. I bought them some of their favorite foods so mealtime will go easier. I'm considering plating lunch and dinner the day before to make it super easy. I'll cutup fruit and veggies in advance, too, and put them in baggies. Anything so I can keep away from the kitchen.

7. I bought them a few new inexpensive toys (total damage was $30)...and I'll introduce them throughout the day.

Happy kids= happy mom=pathetic faster/mom survives another YK and hopefully gets some meaningful davening in

I wish we could do some playdates but the only 2 moms in my building who are staying for the chag have nonJewish babysitters for the day and I don't want to hang out with them for various reasons.

Any other ideas?

bebe3

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:07 pm
Any other ideas??!! Those were all so great! I might even try them all. Maybe the kids will even get to entertain themselves with some of those things.

Pineapple

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:29 pm
Those sound like great ideas!!

Anyone have ideas for kids a little younger (almost 2)

MamaBear

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 12:44 pm
Pineapple, can you swap a bunch of toys with a friend?

My other thing on YK, is that I let the kids go crazy within reason. For one day, whatever makes them happy is what goes on, kwim? As long as they don't kill each other, they can make a mess, they can reject lunch and choose their own food, etc.

happyone

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 1:05 pm
You sound like a great creative mom. Maybe you want my kids for YK? No one is planning tent building or scavenger hunts here. I just let them figure it out with the toys they have for the day. I don't think they need a program on YK, what do they do every shabbos afternoon??

I hope your kids know to appreciate you!

MamaBear

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 1:49 pm
Generally on shabbos afternoon we go for a walk as a family or to the park if it's nice. But I'm going to be on "couchrest" for YK so that won't work. Or on shabbos we do a playdate but people around here go to their families for yomtov so no one's really around, other than the 2 moms with babysitters. I also use shabbos for daddy bonding time, but again, dh will be equally useless on YK, when he's home at all.

I promise you, half my ideas will be unused, but just having them makes me feel less nervous. I'm a pathetic faster but I tell myself that I'm preparing the best I can (eating and drinking well the days before, cutting out caffeine, planning well for my kids, etc), and that Hashem will help me through the fast. I seriously get so nervous every year, but my fasts with kids have always been easier than the ones before I had kids. There's nothing like putting your kids before yourself (and your hungry tummy) to make you forget about everything physical and really bring things to a spiritual level.

Naptime is over! Now it's the computer's naptime...

Seraph

Post Tue, Oct 07 2008, 1:58 pm
what do I do with a very active one year old?
I'm an insanely bad faster, cant stay in bed this year like I did last...
should my husband preferably stay at home to watch the kid so I wouldn't have to break my fast from dehydration, and I can stay in bed?

mamacita

Post Wed, Oct 08 2008, 5:16 am
I with you Seraph times 2 toddlers Tongue Out every year has been different so I can't do what I did last year sine ILs were here and I was eating in shiurim as a yoledes. I have no plans and only a rising sense of fear! and tzom kal, lol.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Oct 08 2008, 5:25 am
Seraph wrote:
what do I do with a very active one year old?
I'm an insanely bad faster, cant stay in bed this year like I did last...
should my husband preferably stay at home to watch the kid so I wouldn't have to break my fast from dehydration, and I can stay in bed?

He may cooperate with you and be less active.
I am very surprised that mothers are devising all sorts of YK activities. What ever happened to having them just play quietly and nicely in the house? Some of the plans sound more like parties than a day at home for YK!

PinkandYellow

Post Wed, Oct 08 2008, 5:57 am
Quote:
I am very surprised that mothers are devising all sorts of YK activities. What ever happened to having them just play quietly and nicely in the house? Some of the plans sound more like parties than a day at home for YK!

I'd always like for my 3 yo to sit nicely and play quietly in the house. too bad he wasn't pre-programmed that way. for me the pt of the fastday is to get thru it. I'll be tired, hungry, and cranky, and he'll be going nuts from being inside all day. so yeah, I bought a box of crackers which both kids love and I might not pray for a great year but I probly will get in a few silent tefillas that I not kill the kids.

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Oct 08 2008, 9:08 am
I bought my kids new toys for YK that they have been looking forward to for a few weeks. So I am hoping that will keep them busy most of the day.

realeez

Post Wed, Oct 08 2008, 9:13 am
Sounds really good. We got new toys for the kids. Are tents OK to make on YK? I have never been sure about them on shabbos since I've heard both ways...

Mommy F.

Post Wed, Oct 08 2008, 10:10 am
I have 3 year old twins and I just started my 8th month. So I will be busy too!
What I find the most helpful is making a schedule, here's mine:
7:00-8:00 - wake up, breakfast (using all disposables - it's hard to wash dishes when you can only get up to your knuckles wet!)
8:00-9:00 - new car tracks with bridges and tunnels - $3.99 from the second hand store - they have never played with it yet!
9:00-10:00 - bean bag toss (a toy I borrowed from a place near our house that lends out toys - it's called Ontario Early Years Centers)
10:00-11:00 - ring toss (also borrowed)
11:00-12:00 - lunch and A,B,C/number toys (also borrowed)
12:00-1:00 - new alef beis lego from their uncle and alef beis magnetic letters
1:00-2:00 - Jewish new library books
2:00-3:00 - library books from public library
3:00-6:00 - 12 year old boy babysitter comes!

Then bed time!!

I also have a sister in law who will try to come during the day so that I can sleep/daven a little.

Good luck to all you mothers fasting out there!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur