Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Walking hand in hand
1  2  3  Next

Motek

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:36 am
If you saw teenaged girls walking hand in hand would you think:

1) nothing of it
2) that's weird!
3) that's sick
4) that's sweet

Fabulous

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:37 am
That's wierd. Normal for little kids but above the age of eight or nine, wierd. Why would they be holding hands?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:40 am
HA. Glad to see I'm not the only one. They walk hand in hand, or holding each other by the shoulders, or the waist. I also see it by boys, and I'm told in both cases it's normal and friendship and I don't understand because it's not my circles Rolling Eyes

I find it WEIRD.

octopus

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:40 am
a little weird.

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:41 am
oh please ... my sis and I walk forever hand in hand / arm in arm ... people always look and always think ... even when I was pregnant ...

sometimes I walk that way with my friends ... (granted it was purim katon and I was Drunken Smile havin a hangover - but ... ) Wink

don't assume stuff ...

octopus

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:41 am
but then again, there are teenage girls (in highschool) that sit on eachother's laps and give eachother chills or massages.

Lady Godiva

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:43 am
Walking down the street hand in hand is a bit strange to me unless you're lovers. That's not to say I've never led a friend toward somewhere by the hand or vice versa and I've walked arm in arm with a friend or two...not down the street, but let's say at a party, across the floor or something.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:43 am
arm in arm (for girls) doesn't bother me

octopus

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:45 am
yes, arm in arm is different.

Pineapple

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:47 am
I Think its wierd

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 10:52 am
you should see the hug sonny boy gives his friends ... they look like gangstas ... keepin it real ...

amother

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 11:05 am
We went to a hotel one pesach and 2 guys sat at our table. One of them always eats by us on shabbos and the other was his friend. They went by plane because it was a 10 hour drive. We drove and it was horrible. Anyway, they are very touchy, feely people and a woman who was on the plane thought how disgusting that these gay men were going to the same hotel as they were. Everybody on the plane was going to the same place. In the end, when she found out that they weren't gay, she kind of threw herself at them. She's married, BTW, but not very frum. One of the guys are in his late 30's and the other is in his early 20's.

Motek

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 11:22 am
octopus wrote:
give eachother chills or massages.

I don't see that as the same as walking hand in hand. Siblings can give massages, parents to children and vice versa, and friends. I'm talking about sitting in a chair and the other person massaging the neck area.

smilingmom

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 11:49 am
How about mothers and older girls??
My oldest DD always used to hold my hand while walking down the street even when she started working. We worked together at a large company and once someone who did not know us made a remark assuming that we are gay. We stopped holding hands in public since then.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 11:51 am
smilingmom wrote:
How about mothers and older girls??
My oldest DD always used to hold my hand while walking down the street even when she started working. We worked together at a large company and once someone who did not know us made a remark assuming that we are gay. We stopped holding hands in public since then.

happened to me and my mom. We were walking arm in arm in a very Catholic part of Europe.

anuta

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 12:48 pm
It depends on the culture. I grew up in a country where it was accepted, lots of ppl did it. I walked holding hands or arm in arm with my sister and with my mother all the time. Now that I live in the USA for 16 yrs, I wouldn't think of doing it!

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 12:51 pm
amother wrote:
We went to a hotel one pesach and 2 guys sat at our table. One of them always eats by us on shabbos and the other was his friend. They went by plane because it was a 10 hour drive. We drove and it was horrible. Anyway, they are very touchy, feely people and a woman who was on the plane thought how disgusting that these gay men were going to the same hotel as they were. Everybody on the plane was going to the same place. In the end, when she found out that they weren't gay, she kind of threw herself at them. She's married, BTW, but not very frum. One of the guys are in his late 30's and the other is in his early 20's.

how fickle ... Rolling Eyes

someoneoutthere

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 5:04 pm
people have such warped minds....Why assume deviance based on something so silly? It's like saying "I saw 2 guys go clothes shopping together, must be gay". Whatever happened to good old-fashioned friendship?

None of the above scenarios, with regard to teenage girls at least, mean much outside of the fact that they are very touchy-feely.

Fox

Post Fri, Oct 10 2008, 5:38 pm
anuta wrote:
It depends on the culture. I grew up in a country where it was accepted, lots of ppl did it. I walked holding hands or arm in arm with my sister and with my mother all the time. Now that I live in the USA for 16 yrs, I wouldn't think of doing it!

I'd probably figure they were from someplace where that was the norm. Even though it's not so common in the U.S., there are lots of places where it's completely acceptable.

Isramom8

Post Sat, Oct 11 2008, 2:29 pm
Frum teenage girls holding hands probably means they have normal feelings but no opportunity to express them with a member of the opposite gender, so they get expressed by some sort of innocent physical closeness between close friends. Doesn't mean they are gay.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children