Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Succos
Drinking on Simchas Torah
1  2  Next

bubby

Post Wed, Oct 22 2008, 7:14 pm
I found DH's best scotch, reserved for "Special visitors" (you can't buy it here) in the Sukkah after my DS's were entertaining. DH was NOT happy! Twisted Evil

Last night my youngest son mixed beer & 95% alcohol (it's illegal in NY but my oldest son's friend bought it in NJ). B"H I grabbed it away before he could drink it. It sort of exploded when I poured it down the sink shock

So...how much did your DH/kids drink? No one was wasted in my house, but they were definitely Very Happy DH is away for YT & next week @ DD, so he didn't have to play policeman. That was my job. My neighbors were totally wasted, fathers & sons. You should have seen how many bottles were cleared out of the Shul. Drunken Smile

Why do men think they can't have a good time without being drunk?

BTW, DH told me to hide that 95% stuff. I'm putting it under my sweaters! Shhhhhh! Silent

octopus

Post Wed, Oct 22 2008, 7:14 pm
my dh doesn't drink. doesn't like the taste. on purim he has some wine to be yotzei. zehu.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Oct 22 2008, 7:17 pm
I never heard of drinking and specifically getting drunk on simchas torah. A person needs to be drunk or tipsy to celebrate the torah??

Maya

Post Wed, Oct 22 2008, 7:19 pm
My husband hung out with friends on the first night of Chol Hamoed and came home totally drunk. From now on, I'm watching him like a hawk.

octopus

Post Wed, Oct 22 2008, 7:19 pm
unfortunately, some people (kids especially) use simchas torah as an excuse to drink. I don't know why, though... you're supposed to be happy because of the torah, not from booze...

Clarissa

Post Wed, Oct 22 2008, 7:20 pm
How old are these kids? Are they of legal drinking age? I'd never heard of this.

My husband doesn't drink, so nothing happens around here. Some overeating, maybe.

anonymom

Post Wed, Oct 22 2008, 7:21 pm
yo'ma wrote:
I never heard of drinking and specifically getting drunk on simchas torah. A person needs to be drunk or tipsy to celebrate the torah??

Yup! And kids cant celebrate without endless candy that began the first days with Sukka hopping and continued Simchas Torah. I seriously think with all the meals I cooked that they are malnourished with all the sugar they consume. But I guess I should be happy because no alcohol was involved in my family's celebration.

bubby

Post Wed, Oct 22 2008, 7:25 pm
Yo'ma, I agree! The last time DH was drunk on YT was when DS was 3 (he's a Succos baby.) That was 15 years ago. Course, I don't count Purim the week after DD got engaged 10 years ago & was too drunk to get to bed. He sat on the toilet fully clothed, moaning, for 3 hours. Couldn't get to work the next day.

Since then he's barely gotten happy. At least, not from the booze Rolling Eyes

I hate drinking. If I had my way I'd bring back prohibition! Wink

dillie

Post Wed, Oct 22 2008, 7:30 pm
yo'ma wrote:

I've heard of it, but no one in my community does it.

dillie

Post Wed, Oct 22 2008, 7:44 pm
But the shuls I've been to in the last few years (New York mainstream Agudah-type places) don't have major problems on Simchas Torah. They do have a lot more drinking on Purim. I can only think of a couple of guys that I ever saw staggering drunk, and they really stuck out.

TheBeinoni

Post Wed, Oct 22 2008, 7:45 pm
DH told me in shul (sephardic) the men (including some underagers.. Confused ) were getting Drunken Smile from whiskey and arak. Funniest part was, I asked my husband if he was tipsy, he tells me, "No, I'm not dipsy!" (He's Israeli) Rolling Laughter

avigayil

Post Wed, Oct 22 2008, 8:02 pm
B"H, dh did not get smashed. he did nibble quite a bit at the cold cuts table they had set up though Very Happy

Fox

Post Wed, Oct 22 2008, 8:32 pm
Ugh! I've heard of this happening on Simchas Torah, but Boruch Hashem, it doesn't seem common in my shul or community. DH doesn't drink at all on Simchas Torah, and we open a single bottle of wine for the whole family on Purim.

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Oct 22 2008, 9:27 pm
No, there's no drinking here. As a matter of fact, drinking is strictly prohibited at my shul. No one who has been drinking can get a hakafa. Our Rabbi is very anti-drinking, one of the many reasons that I admire him.

buzzinmom

Post Wed, Oct 22 2008, 11:23 pm
where I grew up drinking on ST was considered quite normal, even for the underaged. I never really understood why the guys need it tho...I dont see what there is to boast about when the local hatzola had to be called numerous times for OD Rolling Eyes

chavamom

Post Wed, Oct 22 2008, 11:56 pm
No drinking here other than kiddush.

mimivan

Post Thu, Oct 23 2008, 12:06 am
bubby...my dh and ds are in CH, so you might have seen them. (yeah, amid that sea of black and white! LOL )
B'h dh isn't much of a drinker, but on Simchas Torah he has a bit...but I've never seen him out of control.
He took Schneur to CH with him, so I believe he was extra careful not too imbibe too much this year Very Happy

Last edited by mimivan on Thu, Oct 23 2008, 1:49 am; edited 1 time in total

HooRYou

Post Thu, Oct 23 2008, 12:17 am
This was the first year at our shul that a few of the men made kiddush both at night and in the morning and had a couple of l'chaims. While it was defintiely more leibedich no one was drunk in any way and I don't think any minors partook.

8mom

Post Thu, Oct 23 2008, 12:29 am
I have a feeling that this problem goes back a long way. Why do the Cohanim duchan during Shacharis on Simchas Torah???

DH doesn't drink coz he has to work on Yom Tov. Wink
(He's the Rabbi of the Shul)

drumjj

Post Thu, Oct 23 2008, 1:36 am
ive spent ST in many different places and seen a lot of drunk ppl and its disgusting. ppl throwing up on the floor etc. in our shul where we are we have alcohol but no one gets really drunk and ppl know what their limits are bh.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics