Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Fish Gelatin

MMEC123

Post Wed, Jan 04 2006, 10:51 pm
I once had a yummy sweet potato side dish that has marshmallows melted on top. I decided to make it for Shabbos and when I went to buy the marshmallows I saw that one of the ingredients is fish gelatin. Does that mean I can't serve it with a fleishig meal?

shaina punim

Post Wed, Jan 04 2006, 11:02 pm
thats a very good question, I make the same dish.its delicious. if I would guess I would think u could eat it with meat because it doesnt look like fish so u cant tell, does that make sence?

MMEC123

Post Wed, Jan 04 2006, 11:12 pm
I would love it if that was the case. I bought marshmallow fluff (which doesn't have fish gelatin) just in case I can't use the real things.

shanie5

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 12:12 am
most hechsherim will say "fish" next to the hechsher if it considered fish-and not to be eaten w/ meat. call the company that gives the hechsher on the marshmallows.
(by the way, the marshmallow and sweet potatoe dish is a popular thanksgiving dish.

Crayon210

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 1:05 am
Regarding the fish not looking like fish-gefilte fish doesn't look like fish either, and we don't eat that with meat!!

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 1:22 am
I have Elyon brand marshmallows that I use to make that dish.
I think that most ravs hold that because of the high heat used in the manufacturing process, causing the molecular composition to be altered, that the resulting gelatine is considered pareve, and therefore appropriate to use for milchig or fleishig meals.

MMEC123

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 4:29 pm
It's so funny- I thought my mother made up this weird dish. I had no idea other people used it Smile. So if it doesn't say Kosher-fish, then it's ok? (I want to make it tonight for this Shabbos!!)

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 5:39 pm
I'd ask my rav if I were you...a friend of mine is my children's pediatrician, who is also Jewish, and we had this discussion in the office one day...regarding both allergies to fish products and the kashrus aspect...when you ask your rav, would you mind letting us know what response you get? Thanks!

1stimer

Post Sat, Jan 07 2006, 1:38 pm
so what's the recipe?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics