Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Taking baby's temp

Frumom

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 10:31 am
I'm too scared to take a rectal temp, if I do it under the armpit how much will it be off by?

goldrose

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 10:32 am
how old is the baby?

BlumaG

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 10:43 am
if it says 100.0 it's 99.0 so I guess its 1 degree off

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 11:47 am
I thought armpit measures below actual temp.

mother48

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 11:50 am
if you check the thermometer box it should say.

it might not be accurate, but at least you'll get an estimate of fever or not.

elisecohen

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 11:59 am
There are great stick-on thermometers sold in the US. You just stick them gently to baby's underarm and they stay on for up to 24 hours; you can check them anytime. We've found them to be pretty accurate and much more convenient than trying to hold a baby or toddler still.

queen

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 12:56 pm
I've taken a rectal but it was quite nerve wracking and I needed my husband to hold baby down. wasn't fun.... especially as baby aint in the best of moods to begin with--- which is WHY you're taking the temp.

Doctor told me this week I can take under the armpit and just add (or subtract???? I forgot which one!) one degree.

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 1:02 pm
When you take the temp under the arm, add one degree to get the correct temperature.

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 4:30 pm
elisecohen wrote:
There are great stick-on thermometers sold in the US. You just stick them gently to baby's underarm and they stay on for up to 24 hours; you can check them anytime. We've found them to be pretty accurate and much more convenient than trying to hold a baby or toddler still.

Where do you get them? I often go into Ny so could get it than.Today my son had fever and it was really difficult to take his temp. these seem much easier. but than wouldn't the kid pull it off.

goldrose

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 4:39 pm
I never take my childrens temperature to find out what the temp is (I only take it if I want to find out IF they have a fever, because I can't always tell).

fever isn't an illness. it's a symptom of an illness, and it's the body's way of fighting it. getting rid of the fever would be giving the body a harder time fighting the illness.

Frumom

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 7:46 pm
goldrose wrote:
how old is the baby?

3 and a half months.

He seemed really warm today. I ended up taking him to the doc and he was fine... I dont know why he was so warm though.
Anyway, Elise, where do u buy those stick on thermometers?

cindy324

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 7:55 pm
You could also try the Braun Thermoscan. That's the thermometer that takes the temp in the ears. Just stick the tip in press the button and it reads instantly. I have it and it worked great, until I stopped taking their temps altogether. Now I can tell just by feeling their foreheads with my lips. If it burns the lips , it's fever, baby! I can Usually estimate how high it is too, in case the dostor wants to know.

Emuna

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 8:11 pm
Yesterday I took my son to the doctor because he seemed warm and lethargic - underarm thermometer read 97 and rectal read 102!!! The doctor doesn't even take the temp but says you just "know" if the child is hot and feverish, and if the child seems very uncomfortable, you bring the fever down to relieve the discomfort.

Frumom

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 9:39 pm
Emuna wrote:
Yesterday I took my son to the doctor because he seemed warm and lethargic - underarm thermometer read 97 and rectal read 102!!! The doctor doesn't even take the temp but says you just "know" if the child is hot and feverish, and if the child seems very uncomfortable, you bring the fever down to relieve the discomfort.

That's pretty scary. I better get either the stick on thing that Elise suggested, or the ear thermometer that Cindy just suggested.
Thanks!

Is it bad to give a baby tylenol if you suspect a fever?

Meema2Kids

Post Fri, Jan 06 2006, 5:45 am
I give my kids (and mysefl) tylenol if they have a fever, because more often than not that is the main source of their discomfort when sick. If they feel hot but don't seem bothered by the fever, I don't give it.

cindy324

Post Fri, Jan 06 2006, 12:22 pm
I give them Tylenol even if they don't have fever sometimes, especially if they're the teething age. If it's not fever something must be bothering them...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics