Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How do you know when your roof needs to be replaced

Starhavah

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 10:53 am
When we bought our house 4 years ago the building inspector told us that the roof over the addition needed to be replaced. Our handyman at the time said he could get us another year by pouring tar all over the roof and sealing it. So we did that since it was a lot cheaper than a new roof. It has been three years and we have not yet replaced the roof, nor have we had any problems (that we know of). The question is how do we know that the roof needs to be replaced this year? It has already held up three more years than expected. I would rather do this after we have some savings next fall or the following spring. We have just dug ourselves out of a mountain of debt and I do not want to take on any new debt. I want to start saving for expenses. But if the roof leaks because we let it go too long it will cost us much more in the end fixing any leaks. So how do I know?

Star Havah

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 10:57 am
well the tar should be a good band-aid for another year or so but then you should go ahead and replace it ... unless of course there are leaks hiding ... if you go on the roof you can see cracks or missing or loose shingles ... inspectors & roofers can see these things quicker than the layman (unless of course you are fix-it savvy) ...

Starhavah

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 11:08 am
Thanks Greenfire, so I am looking for cracks or damaged shingles. That will help.

Havah
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics