Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Help Wanted
Any South Africans, ideas for party!

RedVines

Post Sat, Oct 25 2008, 10:04 pm
We are doing a south african themed shabbos meal here, and I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas as far as decor goes....

Just wondering!

TIA

lamplighter

Post Sat, Oct 25 2008, 10:49 pm
south african decor is really african decor, unless some more authentic SA wanna prove otherwise.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 3:27 am
my husband is from south africa, I was going to say the same thing as previous poster.

I would say get african animal pictures and dark colored things. tribal patterns are an idea as well.

su7kids

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 4:01 am
A delicious meal is tomato breedie, which is like a tomato stew. Here's a recipe, online:

http://www.africhef.com/Tamati......html

fish123

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 4:18 am
make a milk tert for dessert!

su7kids

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 4:19 am
not with tamatie bredie!

gamekeeper

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 7:01 am
you would go for bright strong colours. either you can use the colours in the flag- green, red, black yellow
you can even add orange.

otherwise you can stick to the safari colours of brown and black. I did this once,
I went and baught fabric that looked like hemp (its like fabric made from a ropey yarn) it had paterns on it in black of animals. I also bought a whole lot of empty tins(I know someone who fills these tins with whatever you want) and I wrapped them with the fabric on the top I put fake leather and tied it on with this rope- this made mini african drums. on each one I put the guests name- this was the name place tag. another thing is to take more tine open- jab them with a knife and put a candle inside- hmmm.... you need to go shopping and see what you can get. I found some interesting things at the nurseries...

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 7:31 am
How about bagels and kugels? (OK, I know it's probably not PC...)

Joking aside, you can try sosaties which is marinated lamb/beef broiled on skewers.
Or meatloaf (can't remember the name by my kugel neighbour used to serve) that has
raisins and curry powders. Pour lightly beaten eggs on top when the meatloaf is baked
halfway, finish baking till the eggs set.

We even get kosher biltongs here!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 7:34 am
I imagine a rainforest café type atmosphere lol

gamekeeper

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 7:43 am
Ruchel wrote:
I imagine a rainforest café type atmosphere lol

hmmm... im imagining knysna...

RedVines

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 8:49 am
You ladies are awesome as usual! gamekeeper- love love love your ideas, So appreciative. Thank you all for your recipe ideas as well, I will let you know!!!

fish123

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 6:22 pm
[quote="Mrs Bissli"]How about bagels and kugels? (OK, I know it's probably not PC...)![/quote]

Rolling Laughter

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 6:56 pm
that is so cute the mini African drums.

The one thing I loved about the african markets was all the stuff that was made out of wire and beads. Like candle holders and napkin holders even a radio made out of coke cans.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 4:22 am
Pickle Lady wrote:
that is so cute the mini African drums.

The one thing I loved about the african markets was all the stuff that was made out of wire and beads. Like candle holders and napkin holders even a radio made out of coke cans.
oh I looooooooove those beaded things:) we bought a napkin holder and boy do we get compliments about it. its such wonderful craftsmanship:)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics