Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
The World's Fastest Yerushalmi Kugel!
1  2  3  Next

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 4:52 am
Picture this... It's an hour before candle lighting and your husband reminds you that he did invite that family for lunch tomorrow. Oh No!! You need one more side dish right? Not to worry... this is the fastest lukshen kugel ever:
4 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup oil OR 1 stick parve margarine (NOT both)
1 cup sugar
salt and pepper (I like it peppery)
2 TB brown sugar
2 eggs
16 oz extra fine egg noodles

put in large pot water, margarine (or oil) white sugar salt and pepper. When the water boils close the flame and add the noodles (NOT pre cooked... RAW!).
Mix noodles into mixture, let it cool down for a few minutes (NOT TOO LONG). Add brown sugar and eggs.
Put in a greased 9 X 9 inch pan and bake at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour
I use a nice bundt pan instead... it looks awesome and tastes amaaaazing!
Enjoy!!! Please let me know how much you love this recipe... RAW noodles people means only one thing... LESS pots and bowls to wash!!! WooooHooooo!!!!

tm

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 5:32 am
I was just thinking I should start making yerushalmi kugel once in a while ... this looks like a great recipe! thanks for sharing.

gamekeeper

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 6:27 am
oh yay!!! no more scrapping the impossible to remove melted sugar! sounds good! will try it and let you know

faigie

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 8:15 am
how much sat and how much pepper please?

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 8:32 am
My recipe says that while the sugar is melting, boil up the water on the side. Then, add the boiled water to the melted sugar pot, add the noodles and cook it all up for ten minutes. You still get the classic but with one pot! It’s a breeze, so I do 5 pks. At once in my hugest pot and then freeze them raw.

This brown sugar one sounds so interesting!

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 8:50 am
that sounds great but don't the eggs sort of cook even if the noodles have cooled down some?

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 8:58 am
yes, the recipes says to cool the mixture before adding the eggs. When I’m short on time, I’ll make sure the oven is preheated so that I can just toss in the eggs already beaten, whip it all up real fast and dump them into the oven so they don’t cook themselves in the mixture. Allowing to cool first is the way to go.

soldat

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 8:59 am
this is sounds much like the recipe in KBD
I can make this in my sleep! I make it every time I'm asked to make a kugel for a kiddush or shabbaton.

Tefila

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 9:45 am
Thanks will try it this week, though not 1 but 2 hrs before shabbos LOL

gamekeeper

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 3:48 am
ok I just have to say... we were away last week and last minute decided to stay for shabbos as well...

well the place we were staying at didnt have anything kosher so I had to make shabbos from scratch- with one pot!

to cut a long story short I remembered this kugel and did a search for it and... walla!

it was soooooooooo yummy and sooooo easy and sooooooo quick! so

thank you thank you thank you!

StrongIma

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 4:17 am
HindaRochel wrote:
that sounds great but don't the eggs sort of cook even if the noodles have cooled down some?

if you add a little of the noodle mixture to the eggs, it should "temper" them enough so you can afterwards mix it all together without problems.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 9:02 am
Thank you for posting, it does sound fast and easy, but the sugar isn't "singed" like in a proper Yerushalmi kugel. I don't see how this is any different from a regualr sweet lukshen kugel.

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Mar 12 2009, 3:05 pm
FABULOUS!!!! I made it last week and there was none left! My very picky (on kugels) father loved it. Thank you. I am making it again this week.

I did it a bit differently as I only had a small pot. I boiled the water with the nec. ingredients then poured it over the noodles which were in a greased 9x13. Let it sit, covered until cooler. Beat the eggs and tempered them with some of the liquid from th pan. Added the egg mixture and mixed it all around, recovered and baked -

thank you again for this easy and delic. recipe

ValleyMom

Post Thu, Mar 12 2009, 4:21 pm
I am thirlled you enjoyed it!
It reallly IS that easy!!!
ENJOY!!

cherry

Post Sun, Apr 26 2009, 2:19 pm
Sounds very nice!
I'll give it a try one of these weeks!

cookielady

Post Sun, Apr 26 2009, 9:14 pm
It's great, it's fast, it's easy. I just find I need to bake it a bit longer when making it in a bundt pan.

greentiger

Post Sun, Apr 26 2009, 11:50 pm
I made it and it came out tasting like a lokshen kugel.

I bought a bottle of caramelized sugar called "kal kugel" or something like that, and you can just pour in and mix the ingredients.

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 4:48 am
I also use Kal Kugel which is basically caramelised sugar syrup that comes in a plastic bottle.
It works better for me as my family likes J'lem kugel less sweet. I don't use brown sugar for this reason.

Now.. I'm down to the last bottle of Kal Kugel (I also use on challah and roast chicken--adds great colour) and cannot find it. Is it easy to find on any supermarket in Israel? (Thinking of asking SIL to send me one).

greentiger

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 5:17 am
I bought in in the big supermarket on Yechezkel, right down from kikar shabbos. I haven't seen it anywhere else though.

ss321

Post Mon, Apr 27 2009, 5:20 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Thank you for posting, it does sound fast and easy, but the sugar isn't "singed" like in a proper Yerushalmi kugel. I don't see how this is any different from a regualr sweet lukshen kugel.

exactly. thats what I dont get either. Ive made something like this kugel before (but I dont measure things like the tablespoons of sugar I put in for kugel, I just put till it looks right) as a lukshen kugel but its a real stretch to be able to call this anything close to a yerushalmi!
its just stam a lukshen kugel....
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes