Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
I made my own sweet cereal, I’m so proud!
1  2  Next

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 12:47 pm
I had some toasted oats (dry breakfast cereal) that the kids wouldn’t touch. So in a huge pot I mixed some sugar, cocoa, vanilla, brown sugar, and oil and allowed it to bubble on a low flame and then tossed the cereal into it to cover well. We can’t get enough of it and now we know, no more expensive cereals for us! Next up, a strawberry vanilla concoction. Does anybody know where I can buy dried strawberry, just dried fruits?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 12:50 pm
Are the plain toasted oats really that much cheaper than the sweeter version? And dont sugar, cocoa, vanilla, brown sugar, and oil also cost money?

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 12:51 pm
Yes dear but we are getting them B’H from WIC now. Plus, yes, you do save yourself some money and besides, it’s healthier too because they add preservatives, and I can control the sugar. I should’ve put in corn syrup to help it stick but I didn’t have any.

greenfire

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 12:56 pm
stay away from corn syrup - not healthy at all ...

have FUN with your new recipe ...

Tefila

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 1:03 pm
Quote:
some sugar, cocoa, vanilla, brown sugar, and oil

R u me LOL I do things like that too.
Psss you could have saved your time and effort if 1. You just sprinkled choc chips in the cereal
I find that it is always good to have some junk around because I use it as rewards when they eat something they don't really like that is healthy I have a yummy treat afterwards ...............

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 1:08 pm
I also have one child who would only eat the overly sweet junky cereal, and sometimes I wonder if I'm not better off just giving him a chocolate covered wafer Confused

flowerpower

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 1:11 pm
Why don't you mix some sweet cereal into the regular cereal?

Oh nuts and Yossis sell yummy dried strawberrys.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 1:20 pm
Oy. The cereal itself is bad enough. Now, if you had started a thread about making your own cereal...
WHY would you want to load the kids with sugar in the am? I thought you were more into health, Shaklee. MahPitom you want to start their day off with a sugar rush?
And the corn syrup - double oy.

Mrs. XYZ

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 1:28 pm
So Tamiri what do you say about a child who wouldn't eat anything else, he would rather fast till lunch? is that better? (Yeah, I know its my fault, I should have been more strict when he was younger, but now hes over 10 and if he doesn't have the junk, he just wont eat!)

Tamiri

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 1:34 pm
Well, you took the blame. I did too, and at one point in the States, after having read up about the cereal industry, I decided it was time for a change. I refused to buy any more sweetened cereals, except some of the healthy food ones, I think Barbara brand or something. Slowly I phased that out as well. I used to buy them Quaker oatmeal and I stopped. It was not easy, but I got it done.
Currently you can find yellow-box Cheerios and plain cornflakes in our house, some of the time. I have oats bought by weight, which they eat with a few chocolate chips melted in and nothing else. A piece of toast, egg, french toast, occasionally pancakes, a yogurt... the choices are really endless.
But it takes a lot of effort on Mom's part. Been there.

gryp

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 1:54 pm
I never thought my kids would like plain cheerios but I tried it and they don't seem to mind.

Shaklee, good for you for saving some $, that's the point of the thread anyway.

cubbie

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 1:55 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
So Tamiri what do you say about a child who wouldn't eat anything else, he would rather fast till lunch? is that better? (Yeah, I know its my fault, I should have been more strict when he was younger, but now hes over 10 and if he doesn't have the junk, he just wont eat!)

Let him not eat! what's the longest you've starved him of the junk, not long enough for him to learn that you're serious enough for him to start eating proper food. No kid even over 10 will let themselves starve!

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 2:28 pm
GR wrote:

Gee thanks. For all of you who think I believe sugary cereals are ideal for breakfast, know that it’s a last resort for when pregnant mommy simply must get something into their mouths.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 2:39 pm
Since when are dried strawberries cheap?

poemmom

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 2:39 pm
The only dried strawberries I ever saw were both not kosher, and VERY expensive, so that I could not even imagine how much kosher ones would be.

gryp

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 2:54 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
GR wrote:

Gee thanks. For all of you who think I believe sugary cereals are ideal for breakfast, know that it’s a last resort for when pregnant mommy simply must get something into their mouths.

If you're getting a pot dirty anyway, why not make oatmeal or some other hot cereal? Oats are cheap too. I put in diced apple, banana, raisins, cinnamon, sugar/maple syrup, milk, and my kids love it.
(Most mornings I don't feel like washing dishes and my kids eat cold cereal but nothing that's extra sweetened.)

sarahnurit

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 2:54 pm
I think that it's a good idea, and since it's not posted in natural parenting or weight loss or something like that, I would stop the fanatic talk about not giving "junk" to our kids...and I wish that all the kids had just sugary cereal as junk food...Wink

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 3:01 pm
Pot dirty – I made one big pot dirty which I then use the cereal for quite a few days. We’re not talking about heat and serve, like oatmeal… which I serve plenty.

BlumaG

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 5:25 pm
I buy sugary cereal for shabbos but if I forget or dont get around to it for some reason I pour choc syrup on top e kids r jsut as happy... ur concoction sounds yummy tho

MommyLuv

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 5:35 pm
shaklee, have you tried homemade granola? Out of this world!!! Along the same lines as your idea.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics