Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Scared to go to israel

littlemissunshine

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 9:36 am
hey I had some bad experience in israel wen I lived there since then im scared to be there always thinking that something bad is goin to happen. is anyone else nervous to go

Fabulous

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 9:39 am
Nope. Just came back. A big rav (or rebbe, don't remember) once said something similar to every bullet has its target. Yes, we have to do hishtadlus to not go in particularly dangerous areas (even where you live) but if something is meant to happen, it will happen near a person's home too. I remember that I was meant to go to Israel at a home when the hostilities were particularly high and right before my trip a young 18 yr old girl was niftar by being hit by a garbage truck in bp. Hashem has plans, wherever we are. But if you are very scared then perhaps you shouldn't go, unless you have family or something there.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 11:15 am
Most non jews and many Jews are too afraid to go. They think it's crazy for me to go every year, even "irresponsible" now that I'm a mother/with a kid, etc.

I can understand although I feel sad so many jews will never see Jerusalem, the kotel, etc. But I think if you stay away from specific places and things it SHOULD be ok.

- malls (I don't, but many do)
- bus AND bus stop
- trendy/big restaurants (see malls)
- my parents made us promise to not cross the line, but as it's not a straight or material line, we did by accident without noticing anything and of course nothing happened as the real problem is the wall, not the line. Still I'm telling you.
- stay away from arab villages
- no sderot
- when you take a taxi, look if the guy is not an arab
- no mea shearim by car on shabbes (obvious but yeah), if you're insulted don't answer, dress modestly
- some people are really "excited" esp. in Jeru and Safed, avoid them and don't answer provocation

Good trip!

(I know many will disagree but that's what many think and I happen to agree with some of this)

littlemissunshine

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 5:45 pm
hey thanx for ur answers, I really love israel I lived there till a few weeks ago but unfortunatly was attacked by an arab so since then israel just gives me the creeps hopefully with timeit will change

ora_43

Post Mon, Oct 27 2008, 7:11 pm
I had something very similar, although I was/am only afraid to walk down one particular street. My advice is to go back as soon as possible. If it's an irrational fear, the only way to overcome it is to do the thing you're afraid of and see that it's not so bad.

Bring a big guy (capable of beating Arab attackers) you know with you, so that it's not too scary.

Ruchel I have to disagree on malls and restaurants. Those have trained guards at the entrances. If anything, it's open areas like Mea Shearim that are at greater risk--but of course, each bullet has its target, as Fabulous said.

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 12:52 am
In my day the Hill district of Pgh was a much bigger risk than Israel ever will be.

My family has had quite a few near misses by EY is still not as dangerous as some other places.

The truth is that it is more important to remember that HaShem looked after you than what a [gentile] may do. When the spies gave their excuse they said that they are stronger than us. The commentators point out that this can also be read in Hebrew as they are stronger than Him.

HooRYou

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 3:12 am
I was thinking about the )ghastly) thought of every bullet having an address and wanted to share my own experiences.

When the intifada heated up again a few years ago I was commuting every day to Yerushalayim for work. There were incidents on the roads EVERY DAY!! Buses came back fro their runs with smashed windows, cars had concrete building blocks thrown on top. It was very scary. I worked in Yerushalayim through the worst of that time and was never caught in the middle of anything even though I was travelling twice a day. Statistically I should have been, right? My friend however, would very, very rarely go to Yerushalayim, maybe once every few months. Well the day she had to go she got stuck on the bus in the middle of a terrible stone throwing incident with her 2 small children. B"H they were not hurt. Statistically she should have had no problems, right? I got a lot of chizuk from this. It was terrible but it didn't seem so random and scary anymore. I felt that I was in the Aibeshter's hands.

StrongIma

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 5:02 am
I know this is going to sound very strange to you NY-ers, but I feel much safer anywhere here in Israel than in NY - esp. when it concerns small children. I was petrified of traveling and shopping in large stores there with my children in tow and quite concerned about purse-snatching and the like, which is fortunately almost unheard of here.

HooRYou

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 5:04 am
agreed ima10

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 9:17 am
Quote:
Ruchel I have to disagree on malls and restaurants. Those have trained guards at the entrances.

I agree, that's why I personally go. Still, stuff has happened in some places (hence the guards).

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 9:35 am
littlemissunshine wrote:
hey thanx for ur answers, I really love israel I lived there till a few weeks ago but unfortunatly was attacked by an arab so since then israel just gives me the creeps hopefully with timeit will change

You lived in Israel until a few weeks ago?

Where were you attacked by an Arab, btw and how did you escape?

littlemissunshine

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 10:06 am
hey yup till a couple weeks ago I lived there. anyway I was attacked in my apartment he got wat he wanted and left

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 10:11 am
My mother, sister and I were mugged by a cleaver-weilding druggie on our way to shul one Shabbat in broad daylight. Didn't make me move out of NY right then and there.

littlemissunshine

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 10:30 am
I didnt move either stayed there for an extra 2 yrs. I was alone at home wen it happened

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 10:33 am
littlemissunshine wrote:
I didnt move either stayed there for an extra 2 yrs. I was alone at home wen it happened

Then I'm not exactly sure what the relevance is. Home break-ins can happen anywhere and the criminal can be white, tan, black or plaid.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sorry it happened to you, I'm sorry I was mugged.

smiley:)

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 10:35 am
Everyone reacts to things different and there isn't always a whole lot we can do about it because it isn't all necessarily logical (though I am not saying it's not either). I also had a bomb blow up about 100 feet from me. Took a long time till I could walk past that place again. Each person has their own reaction.

littlemissunshine

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 10:46 am
its just the fact that it happened in israel that the place just gets me really nervous which is a shame

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 10:59 am
littlemissunshine wrote:
its just the fact that it happened in israel that the place just gets me really nervous which is a shame

So stay away from Israel if it makes you nervous.

Best of luck to you wherever you are.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 11:10 am
This can happen anywhere, unfortunately
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions