Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Help Wanted
Need advice from a doctor/nurse

de_goldy

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 3:55 pm
I know you cannot diagnose online, but wondering if you could help me.

I woke up in the middle of the night with a terrible, poundng headache and fever (whole body aching, skin hyper-sensitive, freezing cold etc.) and it has not gone away all day. I feel as sick as I do when I have severe strep, except that my throat is not in the least sore and I am not congested.

Not asking for a diagnosis, but wondering if you would recommend seeing a doctor for this or letting it ride itself out? Have never experienced this before so wondering if you have an advice.

thank you.

chavamom

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 3:59 pm
Is it possible you are getting the flu?

de_goldy

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 4:15 pm
Thanks for answering, Chavamom.

re flu. wouldn't that be accompanied by cold-like symptoms? (congestions, sore throat etc.) I do not have those

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 4:16 pm
does it hurt to move your eyes sideways?

de_goldy

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 4:17 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
does it hurt to move your eyes sideways?

Interesting question. Just tried it and yes it does hurt. ouch.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 4:29 pm
my husband claims that's a sign of the flu. (he's a programmer, so can't say he's a medical authority, but his father does medical research, so maybe it's true.)

I've had nasty stuff like this, I don't know that a doctor can do anything. I always think about whether or not the doctor can do anything before going. when in doubt, though, call the doctor and ask if you should come in to be checked out.

chavamom

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 4:33 pm
de_goldy wrote:
Thanks for answering, Chavamom.

re flu. wouldn't that be accompanied by cold-like symptoms? (congestions, sore throat etc.) I do not have those

Possibly later in the game. It usually starts with fever, headache and chills. It's usually a cough WITHOUT congestion that comes later (or not at all)

de_goldy

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 4:36 pm
Thank you, both of you.

If it is Flu, is that something to go to the doctor for? (never had it before, b"h) or again, something that just has to take its time? (I try not to go to the doctor unless absolutely necessary)

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 4:38 pm
a doctor will tell you to drink lots of fluids, rest up, take vitamins, and maybe get the flu shot next year. (I never listen to that bit, though.)

oh, and take tylenol or some such. there's no prescription med against flu.

chavamom

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 4:39 pm
Call your doctor and ask. There are drugs like Tamiflu that some people take to try and shorten the flu, but results are mixed and not all doctors recommend it. If it is the flu, not much else to do but ride it out.

de_goldy

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 4:42 pm
Thank you to both of you, you've been very helpfuland reassuring. (I was freaking out that I might have meningitis! lol.)

thank you thank you!

NativeMom

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 4:47 pm
Unfortunately there isn't much you can do for a flu, its viral so antibiotics wont help. A lot of people self medicate with a z pac but obviously unless there is some sort of bacterial infection involved that wont help. As chavamom said call your doctor. Drink fluids, try and rest. I find that a warm bath or shower helps.

de_goldy

Post Thu, Oct 30 2008, 4:48 pm
Thanks. I am not into unecessary drugs and I definitely wouldn't take a flu shot.

I guess I'll be resting up as much as possible. Back to bed...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics