Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Do you live /lived in Israel? We are considering Aliya
Previous  1  2  3

mugsisme

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 12:26 am
Tamiri wrote:

Also, figure out in advance if you can even afford to run a small car here, let alone a Sienna. What if it costs you $150 to fill the tank, will you still want it?

LOL! I forgot that. One of my friends who made aliyah a few years ago told me he paid $7 a gallon. YIKES. I stopped driving when it hit $4 a gallon.

Thanks for the link Yuki. We need a head count of who is thinking of going.

Serious about the cabinets??? We just fixed up the kitchen for Pesach, and I have two kitchen cabinets sitting in my DDs room to use as storage space until I figure out what to do with them. I knew about no closets in the bed rooms ... Oh man. This is really a huge life style change.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 1:08 am
You said it: a HUGE change. For me, the change was when I was 10.5 and my parents made aliya. That was back in 1973 when things were REALLY primitive. We brought a 3 year supply of toilet paper. Had to have tuna and peanut butter brought in. They type of thing. Since then, Israel has turned totally Western, but not totally American Western. More European. There's that small money factor involved, ya know.

Another thing: running hot water all day long is not a given. You were warned here first....

creativemommyto3

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 1:25 am
mugsisme wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

Also, figure out in advance if you can even afford to run a small car here, let alone a Sienna. What if it costs you $150 to fill the tank, will you still want it?

LOL! I forgot that. One of my friends who made aliyah a few years ago told me he paid $7 a gallon. YIKES. I stopped driving when it hit $4 a gallon.

Thanks for the link Yuki. We need a head count of who is thinking of going.

Serious about the cabinets??? We just fixed up the kitchen for Pesach, and I have two kitchen cabinets sitting in my DDs room to use as storage space until I figure out what to do with them. I knew about no closets in the bed rooms ... Oh man. This is really a huge life style change.

You have to see my kitchen.. you would faint.. I have one cabinet on top of my sinks..with a little shelf next to it where I have my cookbooks, big knives and some knicknacks
I have some cabinets under my sink. The top of my fridge is being organized today but it's a real challenge.. I am always organizing my pantry.

Marion

Post Tue, Nov 11 2008, 1:58 am
Because we bought new we were able to design the kitchen. We spent a LOT of money there, so we do have cabinetry. The rest is IKEA, and we're doing it on an as needed basis. We're also buying some of it 2nd hand. But we felt that things like the kids' room was worth spending the money on stuff they'll have for the rest of their lives. So when DS#1 was ready for a bed we bought that and his 2 bookcases, and when DS#2 is ready to move in with him we'll add a level on the bed, another bookcase, and the clothes storage. For now, the 2nd hand dresser is enough storage for 2 little kids, but I imagine at some point they will outgrow it. (That, and I'd prefer to store the baby/outgrown clothes at the top of a closet, rather than in boxes in the machsan.)
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions