Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
What DO You Like About the Other Candidate?
1  2  Next

marina

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 2:58 pm
Let's try something different.

Try to find one good thing about the candidate (or party) whom you are not voting for and post it here.

Also, spare me all the "I like them when they are living in a different country" jokes. LOL

I will start.

I like McCain because he can laugh at himself. I loved his Sad Grandpa clip on SNL.

He also ran a much cleaner campaign than he could have and it may have lost him the election. He did not harp on many of the Wright/Ayers issues that he could have and it takes considerable integrity to do that.

McCain was a POW with a difficult life and he made many agonizing decisions which I really respect. I love that he has adopted children. I also like that he/Palin will have a son in Iraq.

Oh, that wasn't so hard. Your turn.

cassandra

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 3:01 pm
I like that he's smart. I like that he's well spoken. I like the idea of having an AA President.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 3:31 pm
I like that he has done so much to inform and protect consumers. I like that he's intelligent and soft-spoken. I like that he doesn't try to pretty himself up -- he's all grey and wrinkly, with a terrible complexion.

You did mean Nader, didn't you?

My McCain answers would be similar to yours, Marina. Is it cheating to say that?

frumluv

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 3:40 pm
McCain is a veteran and knows what it is like for the men & women who are returning from war.

Fox

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 3:47 pm
1. I love the fact that Obama can give a speech that is both coherent and rousing! While I never subscribed to the "George W. Bush as the Devil Incarnate" philosophy, it's been a long eight years for anyone who cares about public declamation!

2. As a Chicagoan and part of the Daley machine, he understands the importance of snow removal and garbage collection. This is a locally-understood metaphor alluding to the fact that every elected official has big plans, but when push comes to shove, people really just want government to do a good job with basic services.

3. If elected or four or eight years, I am confident that Obamas have enough class not to take all kinds of parting gifts with them when they leave the White House.

mimivan

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 4:09 pm
I voted for McCain, but I like almost everything about Obama aside from his policies and his friends LOL
He seems like a truly decent intelligent g-d-fearing person, I enjoy listening to him speak (although I don't always like what he says) and I feel he has this fresh, young charismatic JFK quality...(Maria Schriver also thought so..and as a Kennedy she should know)...

But his policies...particular foreign policy ideas...well, this isn't the thread to get into THAT

marina

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 4:43 pm
this thread is so much nicer to read than the other ones. Pat myself on the back for starting it, even though there are only five responses:)

We can disagree on some issues but still appreciate the appeal that a candidate may hold.

gryp

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 4:50 pm
I like the way he ran his campaign, he did a great job.
Other than that, can't think of anything.

anuta

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 4:52 pm
I like that he's adopted children, and that he has gone through a POW experience

I like that he is still working at his age

Kinneret

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 12:37 pm
Marina- this was such a great idea for a thread! Thank you for starting it.

I liked McCain's unequivocal opposition to the use of torture, and I think his refusal to leave captivity in Hanoi as long as his compatriots would have to remain was an act of great moral courage.

I also thought his concession speech last night was the epitome of graciousness and class.

anuta

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 12:44 pm
It is interesting that even though the majority of this board voted for McCain, the majority on this thread, willing to find something nice about the "other" candidate, were Obama supporters (5:4)

red sea

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 12:47 pm
Since I dont like either one too well I will say I like how McCain is dedicated to this country, he is a true patriot and I like that Obama cares about some of the environmental issues.

marina

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 3:23 pm
Quote:
I also thought his concession speech last night was the epitome of graciousness and class

Absolutely. The man has class. I also like the way he corrected the screaming lady at one of the rallies that kept insisting obama was an arab. It takes moral fortitude to do that.

wanderer

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 3:30 pm
I like Obama's unruffled calm, and how he proved the American dream. His daughters are cute :-)

Chocoholic

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 3:32 pm
I like his name - Barack - it's unique. Besides that, there is nothing to like about his plans, really.

Chani

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 4:37 pm
I like that Obama is thoughtful and well-spoken. I also think he excels at inspirational leadership. I like that for at least a day or two the U.S. won't be the international community's whipping boy for all that ails the world. HOWEVER, I sincerely hope that when the test comes, as it inevitably will, he'll have the moral fortitude to stand up to international pressure (the morally corrupt U.N., anybody?), because sometimes the U.S. - and Israel - are in the right and the whole rest of the world is wrong wrong wrong...Personally, I think we are having an epic war of freedom and light against oppressive corrupt extremist Islam, and one which will not end with a U.S. withdrawal from Iraq and Afghanistan but which may last for generations, G-d forbid. We need a Churchill not a Chamberlain.

gryp

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 6:40 pm
Chani Thumbs Up
Will you run next time? You have my vote. Tongue Out

flowerpower

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 7:56 pm
I like that he is a great charmer and can get a ton of people to love him and think he will do a great job as a president. He is amazing. All he has to say is "we need change" and he's got a million followers. Now, I can use some tips.

Clarissa

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 8:01 pm
flowerpower, that sounds like more of an insult than a compliment. This thread offered us an opportunity to offer sincere words of praise about the candidate who wasn't our choice. Your comment just says that he's a phony and his followers are sheep. Not in the spirit of this really positive thread.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 8:04 pm
No, I mean it. He really has great charisma and look at all his supporters. I want some tips-I really do.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics