Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Makeover @ mall
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 3:37 am
I have a family wedding coming up and was considering getting a makeover at a place like Macy's instead of paying for a professional to do my makeup.

I need to buy new makeup anyways, so I would probably buy a few things that they offer.

Does anyone know which companies (mac, clinique, etc.) offer this? I want a FULL face makeover - I'm assuming I need to book an appointment. Has anyone tried this before?

newatit

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 7:48 am
ive had mine done by mac, clinque and bobbi brown. they all did nice jobs, but I would choose which one to get a makeover for based on a few things, I.e. do any brands/products irritate your skin, the look you'd like (natural, colorful, etc). id also recomend going for a trail run so you can see how the makeup looks over the day.

NativeMom

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 7:49 am
I've used mac and clinique and liked them both.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 7:51 am
Clinique, I've heard has good makeup for difficult skin. btw, I don't think you can make an appt.

Rivky

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 8:27 am
How do these things work? You walk up and say I'd like to get my face done??

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 8:29 am
Yep!

STovah

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 8:31 am
I like Chanel makeup - I find it wears the most comfortably. Whenever I need to buy makeup and have some extra time, I have them do my face.

babygirl

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 8:34 am
where I grew up you had to call to get an appt...a lot of ppl get their make up done at the mall where I live but we all used to know which ladies were good...maybe you can find out if anyone knows...

Rivky

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 8:37 am
can u tell them that u use their products or supposedly ur just trying it out?

chavy

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 8:44 am
sounds cool doing that, I do get makeovers but not a full one at a dept store for a wedding... unless ure really serious in buying alot of stuff.. keep in mind it takes time cuz u need to choose colors and wash off the old ones, etc

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 8:46 am
The problem with just showing up at the mall and getting a mall makeover is that you never know how your face is going to turn out and you may end up buying products that you don't like because you feel pressure to do so.

chavy

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 8:47 am
Rivky wrote:
can u tell them that u use their products or supposedly ur just trying it out?

you dont say anything about if u do or dont use their products, u just wanna try it out and if ure happy u buy them but if u make them do a whole makeover I think ure obligated to buy something..

Lady Godiva

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 8:49 am
Go to MAC. I believe there is a minimum you must purchase (about $50). I hope you get a good application because people who work at cosmetics counters are salespeople more than makeup artists. That said, I've seen good results too. Just make sure you like the look before you leave, and tell them what you'll be wearing.

Stepmum

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 10:04 am
I had my makeup done at a MAC counter in the US for a friend's wedding, I know we had an appointment (don't know if that was necessary, but the friend booked it for me). I brought a swatch from my dress to match colours to, and got a full face done. I think I had to spend a certain amount on products, though it didn't need to be what they used. It could have been 50 dollars, it was a while ago so I don't remember the exact amount.

Even if you don't NEED an appointment, I'd recommend calling and making one to save the hassle of having to wait on the wedding day.

ganizzy

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 10:12 am
I got one done recently. if u want to make sure s/o will be available when u come, I would make an appt. just call the store and ask to speak to that makeup dept. I did not have a min purchase but I got the makover to buy new makeup so I spent $ anyways

NativeMom

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 11:39 am
When I went to clinique and mac I made an appointment, I think they prefer it especially if its for a specific occasion.

bbmom

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 11:46 am
I've gotten makeovers by lancome a few times. I was always happy with how I looked afterwards and was never upset with the products I ended up buying because they were what I wanted. Macy's in Manhattan has a lancome artist that is really amazing.

Maya

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 12:13 pm
I've done Chanel and Lancome in Bloomingdales. They were both excellent, and I only bought products that I really needed.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 2:11 pm
OP here -

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to go with MAC, since I like their makeup anyways. $50 sounds very reasonable - I would pay close to that to get my makeup done for the wedding, and this way I'll end up with new products. I'm going to call and book an appointment. Thanks again!

tziganka

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 8:30 am
Hey,

If I were you I would not go to the mall or MAC.
I'm a makeup artist and have been doing for a very long time. My makeup case is full of makeup from many different companies. The reason I do not recomend going to the makeup counter of a brand is because the makeup artisits job is to sell you products from that brand. Often, they aren't even makeup artisits but just sales people, and you will most likely leave buying a bunch of stuff you did not need and will never use. Even if a brand has one good product it does not mean that all of their produscts are good. As a matter of fact I can't think of one brand which has all good products. If I were you I would go to a place like Sephora where the makeup artists are trained in many different brands or contact a local makeup artist and ask for a consultation. If you're in the Brooklyn area I would be more then happy to help you.

Good Luck!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics