Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Do you make lists?
1  2  3  Next

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 2:01 pm
I, really my ds, wrote up a list of things I needed to buy today. I accidentally left it at the first store I went to. I went back, but they had no idea what I was talking about. I remembered everything, except for prizes for my ds b-day party tomorrow in school. I can't go now because the baby is sleeping and my other kids will be home in about 1/2 hour.

When I make a shopping list, I usually don't even look at it until I get home and say to myself, I forgot this and this Rolling Eyes .

I also sometimes make a list when I have a lot of things to do in the house, but that's usually only before a y"t or a party.

mama-star

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 2:05 pm
yes, I love lists.

I make shopping lists and I sometimes also make "things to do today" lists. I also make a list of things I need to cook for shabbos, it helps to have it "concrete" and in front of my face. since erev shabbos is so busy and my head isn't always on... LOL

elf123

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 3:15 pm
Around here, the saying is "If it's not on the list, it doesn't exist!" Very Happy

pinkbubbles

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 3:33 pm
If I dont write everything we need to buy down then it never gets bought! I forget everything.

Fox

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 3:35 pm
I make tons of lists. Even if I forget the list, the act of writing things down helps me remember.

What's really fascinating is finding an old list. I recently came across one I made in 1977! It's so funny to see how I spent my time and what was obviously important to me back then!

Blair

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:25 am
I always make lists this s the only way to stay organized. I start the week on motsie shabbos with what I need to buy for the following shabbos. Each day I do something to prepare for next Shabbos. When Shabbos comes in I am not a tired shmata and can enjoy it to the fullest.

mandksima

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:34 am
I have lists coming out of my ears.

Shopping lists stay in my purse so I don't forget to take it to the store and as I run out of things, I jot it down.

Things to do in the house lists are taped to my cabinet door in the kitchen.

List of what to have people bring from the States is also on the cabinet. For family members or us if we ever go.

List of possible projects to do has been around forever and doesn't ever get anything crossed off.

List of things to do on Friday is pretty standard as I try to cook on Thursday so I can do all my errands on Friday.

morkush

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:38 am
Yep always. It helps clear your mind to remember the more important stuff, and makes multi-tasking easier. For example, how will you remember you need to be home in 45 minutes to take the cake out of the oven, if you need to be focusing on what to buy in the fruit shop?
I have a great diary that I use all the time, for everything...

mimivan

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:39 am
I make lists All the time about everything..trouble is I lose them and forget about them!

So I have lists in folders titled :shopping, parenting tips, health and fitness, work ideas...then I forget to look at them!

So then I have to make a time to look at my lists...and that I need to add to my list which is the schedule of my day which is a list I forget to look at

well, you get the idea! LOL

BennysMommy

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:41 am
I make lists for everything. I used to have lists flying everywhere. Now I bought myself a small notebook (fits inside the purse/diaper bag) and I write all my lists in there. It's so much easier and they never get lost!

mandksima

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:42 am
Since my memory works the best when I write things down (I rewrote notes during college to memorize,) just the fact of writing is enough sometimes. I hardly forget what I wrote and that's good because I often forget that I wrote a list or to look at it when I need to. The other day I went shopping and looked on my list at the checkout and I hadn't forgotten anything. Am I the only one who's memory runs that way?

mimivan

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:45 am
Blair wrote:
I always make lists this s the only way to stay organized. I start the week on motsie shabbos with what I need to buy for the following shabbos. Each day I do something to prepare for next Shabbos. When Shabbos comes in I am not a tired shmata and can enjoy it to the fullest.

Great idea!

shosh

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:46 am
Maybe it's bc I've always been a total space case, but I have never been able to cope with lists. It's the way my foggy, left-handed brain works, you see ... I find that if I write something down on a list I tend to forget it. But if I make a mental note of it, I am more likely to remember it ... sometimes ... I happen to be one of the most absentminded individuals to walk the earth and I tend to muddle my way through life rather than through lists. Don't know why, have tried to do things differently, but somehow it just doesn't work for me! My mental notes are somehow more organised. (Maybe that's why I get so many headaches these days. It's all a bit too much for one overstuffed brain!)

mamacita

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:54 am
I am getting better about lists. I have what to make for shabbos lists, what to serve when, weekday meals, shopping lists, householdstuff we still need to buy lists, etc. The problem is making sure that the shabbos shopping list gets added to the usual "we ran out of xyz" list and remembering to look at the lists periodically.

zigi

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 9:38 am
I like making lists, when I shop I usually refer to them . the problem is when I don't have a list I buy everything under the sun! I sometimes also forget to write certain things that I just ran out off on the list. I try to tell dc or dh remind me in the store to buy x.

I also like to write budgets like what I need to buy and how much it will cost. even though I know at costco add 50$ to the budget.

bebe3

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 10:01 am
BennysMommy wrote:
I make lists for everything. I used to have lists flying everywhere. Now I bought myself a small notebook (fits inside the purse/diaper bag) and I write all my lists in there. It's so much easier and they never get lost!

Thats such a great idea!! I have a notebook as well, but I never thought to keep it in my purse, I just leave a large notebook on the counter. How do you remember to put it back?

rachel

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 10:17 am
Dh calls me the master of lists. He totally doesn't get it. "What's a brain used for if not for remembering things?" He's constantly making fun of me. When I'm looking for some misplaced object he'd say, "You can't find it bec. it's not on your list."

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 10:25 am
bebe3 wrote:
BennysMommy wrote:

Thats such a great idea!! I have a notebook as well, but I never thought to keep it in my purse, I just leave a large notebook on the counter. How do you remember to put it back?

Oh yes, I also have a small notebook that stays in my purse. I may pull it out to write in it, but then I put it right back in.

I love saving old shopping lists. That way, I can look back and see what I bought the last time I went to Walmart, to be sure I don't forget to stock up again this time. Same for grocery, butcher and drug store lists.

I also list menus/ideas for special occasions: birthday parties, Purim, etc, so if I'm near a party store, crafts store or food-specialty store, I can quickly check and see if I need anything for the special occasion.

Now if I would lose my list notebook.... shock oh vey. It happened once about 3 years ago. It was traumatic!

BennysMommy

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 11:14 am
bebe3 wrote:
BennysMommy wrote:

I don't leave the house without it. It's like my keys, phone and wallet. Even if I'm not going shopping I take it with me. I use it to to write down things I remember or any info that I might come across that needs to be written down. It's been helping me a lot since I started using it!

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 11:17 am
Me too about lists for parties or if I'm having a big Shabbat with a lot of guests. I rarely ever make list to go grocery shopping unless there's something I keep forgetting to buy. I walk down the aisles and see what I need.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics