Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Rice with potatoes

HooRYou

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 5:07 am
I once at something like this at a friends house a long time ago and this last Shabbos I was in the mood for it again. I found a recipe called Persian Rice. I have no idea if it is really Persian or not, but it was a big hit. The recipe said to almost completely cook rice. then in a separate pot put in oil, tumeric and them slices of potato. On top of the potato the rice was added with extra water (I added more than the recipe called for since I didn't want it to dry out on the platta). At the end the wole thing was inverted onto a plate and looked great. I was surprised what a big hit it was with my family. I winged a spicy chicken to go with it sicne I wanted something that would be nice with the tumeric and not clash flavor wise. I was wondering if there are any variations on this recipe, perhaps with different spices.

Ima'la

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 5:11 am
There's a recipe for Persian rice in Spice and Spirit. I also had something like this at a Persian friend's house once. So I guess it's Persian.

Which came as a big surprise to me because our family had been introduced to it years before by a Polish lady! Go figure! I wonder where she learned it?!

Tamiri

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 5:12 am
Yes, the potato and rice thing is Persian rice and the crispiest parts are supposed to be the most mechubad - you give it to the guests.

Tamiri

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 5:14 am
Traditional Persian kosher cooking calls for a lot less meat/chicken than the rice/legumes etc.
I would try buying a little meat and cooking it up until falling apart soft, then serve it with the rice dish. The sauce can be put over the rice to add flavor.
BTW, Turmeric is the less expensive way to make the rice yellow. The real dish calls for strands of saffron to color and delicately flavor the rice.

Ima'la

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 5:54 am
Tamiri wrote:
Yes, the potato and rice thing is Persian rice and the crispiest parts are supposed to be the most mechubad - you give it to the guests.

Persians are nice that I am - I save the crispiest parts to eat in the kitchen when no one's looking! Tongue Out

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 6:04 am
I love that! We had a persian girl live with us when I was a teenager and she made that. It was delicious. I tried making it once and it didn't go over too well. Confused

mamacita

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 6:50 am
Not persian, but my family makes rice with potatoes and beans.
(can be meaty or pareve depending if you add sausage, ground meat, or chicken to either the rice or the beans. It sounds complicated but if you make big batches of the seasonings and keep in the freezer, you just take n dump!

Here are the recipes:
sofrito
one onion
one green pepper
one head of garlic
one bunch/handful of fresh cilantro
a smidge of water to help you blend it
This all gets shoved in the blender and blended till smooth. About half a cup is all you need for a cup of rice so I freeze the rest in baggies in that portion

Sazon (this is what I've been forgetting and why my arroz con pollo is so bland!)
3 md Onions; chopped
1 ea Pepper, bell, green; seeded,
-chopped
1 ea Pepper, bell, red; seeded,
-chopped
4 lg Garlic cloves; peeled,
-chopped
1 tb Oregano
1 c Scallions; chopped, both
-green and white
1/2 c Parsley; coarsely chopped
1/2 c Coriander; chopped
1 ts Tabasco sauce
1 tb Paprika, sweet
1 c Tomato paste
1 c Oil, olive
1/2 c Vinegar, white
Salt; to taste

beans & potatoes
2 teaspoons of canola oil
1 can of pinto beans
1 can of tomato sauce (8oz.)
1 packet of sazón (see above) (to taste really since you are using homemade instead of readymade)
2 tablespoons of sofrito (see recipe)
7 olives (pimiento stuffed) (I leave out
1 teaspoon of alcaparrado (capers) (I leave out)
2 cubed medium size potatoes
1 can of water (use the tomato sauce can)

after all that you can serve on white rice or on traditional yellow rice:
1 cup rice
1 packet sofrito
1 packet sazon
dash of salt
tumeric until rice is yellow

¡Buen provecho!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics