Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Sending a package from US to Israeli via airmail

chanchy123

Post Sat, Nov 15 2008, 3:01 pm
How much would it cost for my aunt to send me a package from Chicago to Israel via airmail (I understad this is the only available method besides fedex and the like).
I'm think of a box with clothes and maybe toys.
Does anyone have any experience with doing this? Does the cost go by wheight or size? Where can I find a chart with pricing?
Do you have a cheaper method to get things here?

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sat, Nov 15 2008, 3:17 pm
http://www.usps.com/

Inspired

Post Sat, Nov 15 2008, 3:19 pm
It goes by weight.
It is very expensive. Goto usps.com

SingALong

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 1:50 am
check out landuasexpress.com my mil sent me something once through them, israel to nj

Tamiri

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 1:55 am
It's very expensive to send clothes and toys. And you may be charged on the Israeli end customs, plus the "special" post office tax of 35 nis if you send USPS. Can't she find someone to bring them? That would be my first choice.

Ima'la

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 3:06 am
Yeah. Almost never worth it. Like Tamiri said, there's a 35 or so NIS charge just for picking up the package, and they can charge you anything they feel like (think a million billion bazillion NIS) for import taxes. Or, if you're an olah chadasha, they could count it as one of your lifts. (If that's still relevant. I'm an old lady who made aliyah 8.5 yrs. ago!)

Marion

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 3:53 am
Not worth it. They charge tax (duty & VAT) on all incoming packages worth over $20, and it doesn't matter if you actually owned it beforehand or if it's new.

hila

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 4:00 am
It is a sort of hit and miss affair.
I just ordered something that cost 38 punds sterling from teh UK.
It came in a week and did not ahve to pay any customs on it. THe value was clearly written on teh package . No 35sh charge either.

So you actually know someone who has paid the 35sh ?

hila

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 4:03 am
Marion wrote:
Not worth it. They charge tax (duty & VAT) on all incoming packages worth over $20, and it doesn't matter if you actually owned it beforehand or if it's new.

Actually it is supposed to be over $50 , not $20, but not always (see my other post)

Tamiri

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 4:32 am
hila wrote:

So you actually know someone who has paid the 35sh ?

Yes, people on others lists I subscribe to.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 5:41 am
Tamiri wrote:
It's very expensive to send clothes and toys. And you may be charged on the Israeli end customs, plus the "special" post office tax of 35 nis if you send USPS. Can't she find someone to bring them? That would be my first choice.

Ok, I've had to pay Maam (VAT) and meches (costums) and delivery on a package I recieved via FEDEX but, this was soemthing sent from the company with the valued clearly written on the box. I am talking about clothes with tags removed and toys without original packaging. The box would be marked off as used clothes and should not be charged taxes, although would be charge the 35 NIS.]

No, I don't know of anyone comming with an empty suitcase. But if you know of anyone I'd be happy to hear. Especially if you know of anyone coming from Toronto that has room for my winter coat (I really miss it and it's getting cold here). It still might be cheaper to buy a whole bunch of stuff online and pay for postage than to buy the stuff here.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 5:45 am
chanchy123 wrote:
No, I don't know of anyone comming with an empty suitcase. But if you know of anyone I'd be happy to hear. Especially if you know of anyone coming from Toronto that has room for my winter coat (I really miss it and it's getting cold here). It still might be cheaper to buy a whole bunch of stuff online and pay for postage than to buy the stuff here.

Send it to Brooklyn where it might be easier to find someone coming to Israel.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 6:08 am
MeThinks wrote:
chanchy123 wrote:

Send it to Brooklyn where it might be easier to find someone coming to Israel.

I don't think you guys understand.
I live in Israeli I've lived in Israel all my life. I have some relatives living in America, they don't come here so often. I don't know anyone in Brooklyn.
BTW said coat is very heavy, can't imagine anyone I don't know would sacrifice dear suitcase weight for this. It's not a small package. For that I can understand somehow someone clearing space. But for stuff I bought online - I don't think so.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 6:12 am
So, seeing that you have no choice, I guess just send it! Whatever is most convenient for the sender.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 6:33 am
Check out the difference between the price of: http://www.usps.com/ , http://www.ups.com/content/il/en/contact/ , http://www.fedex.com/ , and the one msycms suggested: landuasexpress.com or other carriers.

But first get the exact weight of the package you'd want to send before you contact them.

Please share with us your findings. Tongue Out

shabri

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 6:58 am
My MIL has sent stuff to us via USPS and Fedex. I've never had to pay meches or the 35 shekel charge. Although I'm not sure why not. But they all go by weight also so a heavy winter coat might also be very expensive to send.

birdstar

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 4:04 pm
we sent some books to our son and a camera. the box weighed 8 lbs. It cost over $100 to send it and then he had to pay customs of $50 to get it. Next time we send money and tell him to buy his own stuff.

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 11:34 pm
He probably paid tax on the camera, there is none on books. I also doubt that its worth it. Taking off tags and marking it used clothing 0 value usually works.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions