Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Tebeet

chatouli

Post Sat, Nov 15 2008, 8:09 pm
Does anyone have a recipe for tebeet that is made overnight on a plata? I had the most amazing tebeet in Israel, and I've misplaced the recipe its creator wrote down for me. Crying I'd love to recreate it! I know it had baharat in it, which I have managed to find.

Thanks!

chatouli

Post Sat, Nov 22 2008, 9:36 pm
I decided to try tebeet this Shabbos using the Spice and Spirit recipe combined with one I found on the Internet (http://www.foodreference.com/html/tebeet.html). I did not have cardamom, so I used 1 full tsp of baharat.

The flavors were excellent but I just wanted to provide a tip in case anyone is interested in trying the recipe. The Spice and Spirit recipe calls for between 8 - 10 cups of water and to add more prior to placing it on the blech if it looks dry. I had no idea how much water should be in the pot before I went to bed, so I added a decent amount from my urn at about 10 PM.

At lunchtime, the chicken was excellent, but the rice was very soupy (although the pot was definitely burnt at the bottom). We had to throw the rice out, which was a huge waste.

If anyone wants to make it, I'd recommend going with 10 cups of water to begin with, and not adding too much more. I'll try it again next Shabbos and post the results if anyone is interested. Shavua tov!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics