Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
How safe is it to go to Hebron for Shabbat?

birdstar

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 4:25 pm
My 18 year old is at Bar Ilan and he asked us today if he can go to Hebron next Shabbat? He says there will be alot of groups there. Is it safe? He says he will do whatever we say, but we are in the states and so dont really know if it is safe to travel there or not. Any one have any opinions?

soldat

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 7:18 pm
I'm replying to keep this on the front page.
I'm really curious how people will answer. since I don't live in Israel, and have never been to chevron in my life Sad I don't feel qualified to answer, although I know what I would do.

ChavieK

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 11:29 pm
Years ago when I was in sem I went to Chevron for a shabbos.Istayed at a cousin in Kiryat Arba & it was amazing. 3 years ago on a shul mission we went to Chevron for Chayei Sarah. We had a baby & 12 year old with us. We went on walking tours of Chevron. Davening in Ohel Yitzchak & Rivkah was awesome. It was such an inspirational,& safe btw, experience that when I told my very good friend she was inspired too. Her sons' bar mitzvah was the next year on Chayei Sarah. They decided to make the bar mitzvah in Chevron! We had reason to be in Israel & made sure we were there for the Bar Mitzvah. We had our newly married daughter/sil, my son who was in yeshiva, my 10 & 8 year olds & 1 1/2 year old. It was once again a spectacular experience. So you can see how I feel.
However, just know that it can be a big hangout. My ds who was in yeshiva was only allowed to come because he was with us. His friend also came because we said we were resposible for him. Just wanted to make you aware of why some schools don't want the kids to go.Where would he stay? It could be hard to find place to stay & eat. My dd who is in sem this year went for shabbos cholhamoed. It was pretty full but not like this shabbos will be. They only went with their hosts so they stayed safe. Don't veer off any paths. But she was also very moved by her experience.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 11:50 pm
How can anyone answer that question? I don't think that any religious person would hesitate to go. But, what if that day something happens to your son? Even CVC a bus accident on the way there? It's your decision.
I personally would not hesitate for a second to have my child go to any holy place in our counry. But, you don't know me or if I am a good parent etc... so my way of doing things (and those of any other mother here) probably has no bearing on you and your son, right?

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 12:02 am
I used to give tours in Chevron. I never go for Cayei Sarah because of the crowds but kids love it. There will be SOOO many people there. The kids all go in groups and there will be tons of soldiers. Don't worry.

bubby

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 12:26 am
My niece was there (or was it my nephew??) Anyway, whoever it was said it was AMAZING. Every year my DH yearns to go. Hopefully, by Parshas Chaya Sara next year we'll be in EY & he will be ale to go. And Meron @ Lag B'Omer. And Yerushalyim on YK & Succot.

Am I missing any other special times & places?

hila

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 1:18 am
Kever Rachel on Yud Aleph Cheshvan, any frum area just after dark on chanuka, friday mnorning in my town (a quiet place normally till everyone wantst o do shabbat shopping at one time)...

BH always lots of Jews together.

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 3:25 pm
It is not a good idea for people with strollers or who have difficulty walking to go on Chaye Sarah unless you are the adventurous types. The teenagers are the main crowd and have priority. So 15 year olds will be put up 5 meters from the Maarah. We with 4 children, 2 in agalot were put up on mattresses in the Kiryat Arba Mamad school. You had to walk the entire width of Kiryat Arba until you got to the gate that leads to the road to Chevron.

birdstar

Post Mon, Nov 17 2008, 5:50 pm
Well from what you have all said it sounds like he will have a wonderful experience if he goes. He said there will be guards there and I know he is very trustworthy and will only go where they tell him it is safe. I believe he has a place to stay there but I will make sure it is a safe distance as I know he thinks nothing about walking 3 or 4 miles to get somewhere on shabbat but I would like to see him stay a little closer. Now all I have to do is convince his dad to say yes as well. Thanks for the input everyone.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 2:41 am
I would never say any place is safe, because then I would be responsible if anything chas vshalom would happen.
All I could say is I'd go, and if it were me I would send my children.
I'm Israeli, they would take us to Chevron on shabatonim from school, I've been on these organized shabbatonim many times. Of course, it's been years since I was in high school and I guess things may have changed. But if anything, security would be tighter nowadays (and there have been much much less incidents in the area) and I'm sure they are more organized then 10 years ago when I was a teenager.
The experience of Shabbat Chayei Sara in Chevron is something I think every Jew should have at least once in a life time. It's just amazing to see so many Jews in this holy place it's like nothing I ever experienced in my life. I would say that Shabbat Chayey Sara in Chevron was definitaly one of the expereinces that have made me who I am today. It is uplifting spritualy. I think that if your son has this aprotunity he should take it, he can only benefit from it.
Yes, security is an issue, anything can happen, there are never any guarntees. But statistically driving on a highway in a car is about 100 times as dangerous. You need to do your hishtalut and put your trust in Hashem for the rest.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions