Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Raw baby bottom -- poor thing!
Previous  1  2

elisecohen

Post Fri, Jan 20 2006, 9:16 am
If you're still on prenatal vitamins (you should be if you're nursing), I would think that you're fine, especially if you're drinking enriched soy milks etc (be sure to shake them well or the calcium gets left behind in the sludge at the bottom).

mom2six

Post Sat, Jan 21 2006, 7:19 pm
I'm on a non-dairy diet because my baby is allergic to milk among other things. His pediatrician recommended I take a calcium supplement so I've been doing that for a few months now.

In order to know if milk is the culprit, you need to make sure symptoms are completely gone then reintroduce it. FWIW, many parents in my food allergy support group talk about the "red ring" as one of their kids' symptoms. You can't know though whether it's an IgE mediated allergy, which does show up on testing, or an IgG mediated allergy, which does not. In any case, testing is not reliable before age 1.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. Unfortunately I know a lot about this.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Jan 21 2006, 10:14 pm
thanks, mom2six. I appeciate the offer.
Btw, is TUMS a good enough calcium supplement? taking like 2 a day? I do take my prenatal vites, too.
thanks!

mom2six

Post Sun, Jan 22 2006, 4:08 am
Tums are not considered a good calcium supplement because calcium needs to be combined with Vit D to be absorbed. If you buy calcium pills in the pharmacy, you'll notice they say calcium+vit d. That's what you need.

If you're on prenatal vits, you might not need them but I would ask a doctor. I've never been good about taking prenatals so I can't answer you on that one.

Let us know what happens when you retrial dairy.

MatzosMama

Post Tue, Jan 24 2006, 8:21 pm
if it is a fungus...please watch out for Nystaten...it is an anit-fingal. It works really well but it burns....My youngest (a girl) had thrush that transfered to a nursing issue and then it became a HORRID rash/fungus. The DR's wanted me to put this medicine on her viginia and my Nipple...HELLO!!! That was a HUGE mistake! If y ou are advised to use this...iti s a script drug, ask for the alternitve......

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 10:24 pm
MatzosMama, I have used nystatin and triam-something in the past for my older son and have had no problems...maybe it depends on the rash?? Except that I found the powder worked better on him.

Btw, I asked my OB about the calcium and she said to take extra 500 mg 2x a day. So I guess I have to look into that.

I miss my pizza and pasta and cheese...!! (have been eating parve ice cream!)

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sun, Feb 19 2006, 8:55 pm
sorry I didn't update sooner.
it finally went away mostly- but I had an appt for the dermotologist, so I went. The dr said to use powder with talc NOT corn starch, which is usually suggested. I'm not saying others should use this, but in my case it was best for him. Corn starch helps breed yeast, btw.
I'm back on dairy and he's doing well B"H! thanks for all your tips!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics