Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Moving-HELP!

dainty diva

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 4:48 pm
Anyone with experience on packing dishes and CHINA? Would appreciate advice.

Fabulous

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 4:49 pm
No exerience but I would expect a lot of newspapers squished to do the job.

greenfire

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 4:55 pm
some people save the boxes they came in ...

or wrap each plate or bowl or item individually in paper - then put bubble around stacks and place in boxes making sure there is no room to slip & slide ... handle with care and write that on the box ...

dainty diva

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 4:59 pm
I have 3 sets of dishes service for 8. You mean wrap each individual? WOW!

justanothermother

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 5:18 pm
I use these. A bit expensive, but worth it for me because we move pretty frequently and I save the boxes from move to move.

http://store.uhaul.com/Kitchen.....r_Kit

happyone

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 5:34 pm
justanothermother wrote:
I use these. A bit expensive, but worth it for me because we move pretty frequently and I save the boxes from move to move.

http://store.uhaul.com/Kitchen.....r_Kit

How often do you move??

pinkbubbles

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 6:12 pm
buy lots of bubble wrap!! cheap on ebay in big rolls

justanothermother

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 6:25 pm
happyone wrote:
How often do you move??

We have been living in our current house for two years and my kids are nudging about when we are going to move again. They say we have been here for SO LONG it is time to move already. Two years in one house is actually a record. I have moving down to a science.

nylon

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 7:19 pm
Wrap in bubble wrap, cushion with LOTS of paper crumpled into balls. Some movers just do lots of paper, but I prefer the insurance of the bubble wrap. Yes, every item must be wrapped individually as the dishes knocking together is what causes the breakage.

I've also had dishes shipped packed with foam peanuts. When I had all my china professionally packed and moved (overseas move) they did paper, though, and nothing was broken.

Leahh

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 8:00 pm
Wrap the dishes in your towels. Instead of packing your towels separately and wasting money on bubble wrap use ur towels to protect the dishes.

mommy24

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 8:48 pm
11906 wrote:
Wrap the dishes in your towels. Instead of packing your towels separately and wasting money on bubble wrap use ur towels to protect the dishes.

This is what I did for my dishes- for as many as I could since I have sets for milchig, fleishig, Shabbos, and then Milchig and FLeishig for Pesach. When we ran out of towels and sheets, I bought the foam peanuts and the bubble wrap, which was also good. Oh, one plate and one saucer broke, but honestly I expected more, so I wasn't too upset.

I did find one box, my old housekeeper had packed for me. She used newspaper and the dishes are still stained from the paper. I would advise you NOt to use newspaper.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 9:36 pm
I did a folded sheet of newspaper in between each dish. and stuffed up the corners of the box with newspaper. nothing broke, bh.

dainty diva

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 9:43 pm
TWIZZLER: By far, ur method seems too be the most simple. Any dish staining as MOMMY24 complains?

NativeMom

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 9:44 pm
Fabulous wrote:
No exerience but I would expect a lot of newspapers squished to do the job.

Careful using newspaper, the ink gets on everything. We used towels and bubble wrap and china storage bags.

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 9:47 pm
ffelber wrote:
TWIZZLER: By far, ur method seems too be the most simple. Any dish staining as MOMMY24 complains?

I did wash all my dishes when we unpacked, but nothing was permanently stained. if you're so afraid of stains, a paper towel or two between each dish would probably be just as effective.

dainty diva

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 9:55 pm
Those china bags look pretty cool. Where can I get them ultra cheap? DH won't spend on something that we can otherwise get for free like old newspaper.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Nov 18 2008, 10:01 pm
I got quilted china cases. they fit standard dishes, and I use them to store away my dishes for pesach. I got them at lillian vernon, I think.

something like this:
http://www.lillianvernon.com/c.....d=156
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating