Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Barbie Dolls - The Toy
Previous  1  2

Motek

Post Tue, Dec 07 2004, 1:41 pm
Quote:
There is nothing about her that even remotely suggests spirituality and internality

and Lego's do?

Tefila

Post Tue, Dec 07 2004, 1:51 pm
With lego the imagination is endless[/making menorahs to a mishkan. The only thing with Barbie is she can have a sheital made and look like a stunning uh Rebbetzin... And when I will see our kids start putting a sheital on barbie and asking for a double, triple stroller, and that baby dolls wear kippahs etc then maybe then I will change my mind!

Last edited by Tefila on Fri, Jun 10 2005, 9:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Dec 07 2004, 3:39 pm
Freilich and dolls are not for kids imaginations?...it is such a favourite among kids to role play with dolls etc...it is healthy for their development. It does widen their imagination, they could make a school and the barbie is the morah and teach chumash...the ideas are endless , you could be surprised what kids come up with

Tefila

Post Tue, Dec 07 2004, 4:08 pm
Quote:
and the barbie is the morah and teach chumash...the ideas are endless , you could be surprised what kids come up with

C'mon do they without prompting? Whereas with childlike dolls I have seen kids try to nurse or toilet train or nurture by singing Torah Tziva , but with barbie sorry I haven't seen kids interacting with her this way I.e. davening, pushing stroller with kids. And I am/was a preschool teacher so I saw alot! No, all the barbies I see are very family orientated a boy a girl a dog and cat Rolling Eyes buisness ones, playing sports etc.

Tefila

Post Tue, Dec 07 2004, 4:23 pm
So now my decision is made I am not blaming anyone for thinking otherwise. So I will end off by asking rhetorically!
What goes thru your angels mind when they.... pretend!

A Freilichen Chanukah from my mishpacha to yours Wink

Last edited by Tefila on Fri, Jun 10 2005, 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

micki

Post Tue, Dec 07 2004, 4:37 pm
freilich I am not trying to convince you. only to keep an open mind that a doll is a doll. if you decide it is a symbol of whatever your kids will pick up on it. as I said my kids love it. I treat it as a doll like any else. they DO play as the mothers- as kallahs as shabbos parties for the ones dressed fancy- their imagination is even greater because now they have an adult doll to use to play with. they made me draw a beard and kippa on ken (which I did) and they play with what they know. not with what the package says. they want the nursery so they can put the baby to sleep. I take away all the little pieces, they are choking hazards plus they get lost right away so their play is influenced by their lives, not by the package.

also that very interesting quote you brought up is actually funny. sound like she is threatened by a doll. just because she looks like an adult everyone is attacking her?
stop looking at her makeup and figure- the kids sure don't. and please take this nicely but perhaps for your family since you have all these doubts about her figure etc.. then your kids will notice your feelings and therefore will act out all you have feared. so for you perhaps because of YOUR feelings it is not good.
so mail it to me- my kids will be thrilled. Wink Tongue Out

Ozmom

Post Tue, Dec 07 2004, 9:46 pm
You all sound right
and now I'm confused Confused

Yosefa

Post Wed, Jun 15 2005, 2:31 pm
I hate Barbies, but on the flip side:

I doubt it's avoda zorah, because Barbie resembles more of a stick than a person. Also, it's possible your daughter won't even like Barbies, I didn't. Also, in my opinion the worst part is the clothes they come w/ today. I had clothes my great grandmother made and they were mostly tznius. Also, there are worse things out there. Have you seen Bratz? Yick!

Yael

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 3:42 pm
this thread was split. to find the rest of it go to "s-xual abuse as a child" under emotional health.

Mommy912

Post Tue, Jun 21 2005, 11:20 pm
just got this in an email:
"If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?"

Tefila

Post Mon, Dec 11 2006, 4:52 pm
Quote:
If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?"

Lol very good point.
And whilst we are talking where are you hybernating. It's been a looooooooong time Smile

Imaonwheels

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 10:23 am
My dd was given a rainbow haired black Barbie by my outlaws. Sparly spaghetti strapped mini dress. Wonderfull. My dd was actually much more temimi than I was. Coming from a frei home I had boyfriends at the age she was given the doll.

Refusing presents from the outlaws is harder than the in laws or your own parents because it leaves you open to the charge that you are interfering with their relationship to the gps. I showed it to a rav (my ex's) and chucked it.

One of the reasons my father hated Barbie was the constant need to buy her clothes. Once she got her high heeled foot in the door she cost more for clothes than my sister and I together. She had a house, a cabin, abeach house and boat. When she was dressed like Cinderella she needed a castle and a handsome prince.

There is a joke making the email rounds.
Why does a regular Barbie cost $19 and the divorced Barbie cost $198? Divorced Barbie comes with Ken's house, Ken's car, Ken's boat and one of his friends.

Like it or not Barbie is a symbol of culture that I think none of us wants in our homes.

Motek

Post Tue, Oct 09 2007, 5:48 pm
Quote:
In September 2003 the Middle Eastern country of Saudi Arabia outlawed the sale of Barbie dolls, saying that she did not conform to the ideals of Islam. The Committee for the Propagation of Virtue and Prevention of Vice stated "Jewish Barbie dolls, with their revealing clothes and shameful postures, accessories and tools are a symbol of decadence to the perverted West. Let us beware of her dangers and be careful."

In Middle Eastern countries there is an alternative doll called Fulla who is similar to Barbie but is designed to be more acceptable to an Islamic market. Fulla is not made by the Mattel Corporation, and Barbie is still available in other Middle Eastern countries including Egypt. In Iran, Sara and Dara dolls are available as an alternative to Barbie.

So how about frum Barbie? Wink

amother

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 3:40 pm
I grew up with Barbie dolls and loved them.

I never once or any of my 4 sisters thought of the way they looked - perfect or not!!!

We just had fun with them, played, made up stories.

My mother bought them for us, or 2nd hand. She never bought us clothing that were not Tznius. We would sew our own clothing!

Back in the "days" they still had gowns that you can buy for the clothing and that was perfect for us. Even if we did go to the store and see "half dressed" barbie dolls we would look at each other in disgust and didn't understand why they weren't fully dressed. We knew we weren't going to buy THAT! The "gown" dresses were fully excellent - those are the kind of clothing we wore - especially on Yom Tov - the "gown" dresses and we were very happy with what we had. We never had the "Ken" doll or any of the cars, or houses. The 4 barbie dolls that we had were just enough for us and making and doing with the clothing and even leftover scraps of fabric and have fun wrapping it around the barbie in a tznius way.

But my mother always did one thing. She'd either cut off a little of the nose, or the foot, to remind us about that it's not an idol, and we'd always remember when we'd see the cut off foot/nose that Barbie isn't real and it's just for fun - it was an imagination game and we never thought anything else about it!

It's the same thing with the Fisher Price "Little People" - or any other dolls from Bratz to Dora - there is always something you can learn from it bad or good, but presented in the right way - a wonderful toy to grow with. I don't see nothing wrong with handing over a Barbie to the girl dressed nicely and then cutting off a peice so she knows it's not perfect - she will tresure it. You know what? I never saw a Barbie doll till I was 9 years old! I don't know why a 4 year old will be playing with a 'adult Barbie" - there are the "younger" versions of Barbie, back then they were called "Skipper". I think kids prefer more realistic dolls when they grow older and it's easier to relate to something that "looks" like them.

Did you ever put your ear to the door and listen to what the story line is while your child is playing with the Barbie dolls? Even Fisher Price Little People or any stuffed animals? It's amazing what you will hear! A big opening into your childs life. Role-playing with dolls - even if it's a boy - it can be "male" style dolls as in toy soilders or his favorite stuffed animal - it's a big help for them!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Oct 28 2007, 3:54 pm
I would invite my friends to come with their Barbys and we would invent the craziest stories LOL
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics