Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Kid with learning difficulties - delay reading hebrew?

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 7:09 pm
I'm teaching a kid this year (1st grade) who has some learning problems, I can't remember the exact term but it includes dyspraxia. he was evaluated and it was recommended that he do no hebrew writing, since the right left will confuse him. Nothing was said about reading.

His hebrew reading is far below his classmates, who can all read. He can't recognise most letters, and has trouble putting them together. His english reading is also behind, and I was talking to his (special needs) teacher and she said maybe it would be better to hold off on the hebrew reading until his english reading is improved.

should I wait? I have a parent who has volunteered to take him out of the class and do kriah with him on his own. I don't know if she will be able to do it next year.

Anyone had experience with this, either as a teacher, or a parent?

(this is not a frum school, btw, so there is no pressure for learning chumash, or whatever. I doubt his parents will be that bothered as long as he can read by his bar mitzva, which is a long way off)

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 19 2008, 8:18 pm
don't know but sounds like reading and writing would both be the opposite direction of english ... I would let it go ... maybe just get the letters alone down pat w/o reading ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics