Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
At what age do kids start davening mincha/maariv regularly?

raspberry tea

Post Sun, Jan 15 2006, 2:09 pm
Just wondering at what point do you require of your children to start davening mincha/maariv daily? They don't daven mincha at school and was wondering what others experiences were. Thank you!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 15 2006, 2:29 pm
Here in B.R., the girls do Mincha by themselves starting in high school.

I don't know the age of the boys, but I assume it's much younger; certainly way before Bar Mitzvah!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Jan 15 2006, 8:10 pm
In my daughter's school, the girls daven Mincha from first grade on. Before they know how to daven Shmone Esrei they say Ashrei. When they are davening shmone esrei they daven mincha shmone esrei too. By third grade for sure, there is at least 10 - 15 minutes before or after recess, allotted for full mincha, which they daven together, like shachris. They even have CHITAS time for chumash, together with mincha.

In OT, the boys are davening mincha every day in class by third grade. (My son started in first grade at home, but not every day)
By age 9, my boys are davening maariv, whenever possible in shul. Before that, it's maariv on Shabbos and motzei Shabbos in shul, from young age, like 6, and often when my husband goes to shul for maariv if it's early evening, I'll send my younger sons with him. As I write this I realize I should be more consistent, and make sure they daven maariv every night.

At some point, between age 10 -11, we expect the boys to go to shul for Maariv, if they haven't davened in Yeshiva. (It depends what time it gets dark, and when they finish Yeshiva.)Grades 6,7,8 daven Maariv in Yeshiva when it gets dark early.

raspberry tea

Post Mon, Jan 16 2006, 12:07 pm
Great feedback thank you! I'll have to discuss this with my husband.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jan 17 2006, 1:35 am
Estie, your inquiry got me motivated. Last night, after our discussion in this thread, I realized that my eight yr. old hadn't davened maariv, but I caught him too late. He was really tired and past his bedtime. Tonight, remembering to ask him earlier, he said he didn't want to! OH no!

I told him we'd make a chart, with points for Maariv and Krias Shema in the Siddur. He got all excited about that, and actually printed out a chart for himself on the computer, then was asking to go to shul for Maariv! ( I told him it was too late to go by himself, but tomorrow he can go at the beginning of the evening iy"h.)

So thanks.

Blossom

Post Tue, Jan 17 2006, 1:47 am
I don't have a daughter yet that age but I probably started davening Minchah when I was thirteen or bas mitzvah maybe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics