Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Onion kugel
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

elf123

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 10:34 am
What's a 7 by 11? Is that like the foil pan that everyone calls a "9 by 13" which is really smaller than that? Do you think I could just divide this in half and make it in two round or square foil pans, or is it not enough?

bashinda

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 12:11 pm
Note: on another thread someone was saying that 1 T. salt was way too much so please keep that in mind while trying the recipe.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 12:24 pm
elf123 wrote:
What's a 7 by 11? Is that like the foil pan that everyone calls a "9 by 13" which is really smaller than that? Do you think I could just divide this in half and make it in two round or square foil pans, or is it not enough?
I think that the pan size is the one that is just a bit bigger than half of a 9x13 pan. And it's deeper too.

elf123

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 12:32 pm
So should I double it if I want to make more than one? I don't mind making two smaller ones, just want to know from someone who's tried it if this will stretch to two pans or not.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 12:35 pm
elf123 wrote:
So should I double it if I want to make more than one? I don't mind making two smaller ones, just want to know from someone who's tried it if this will stretch to two pans or not.

If you want to wait until tonight... I will be making it then IY"H Smile

BLUEROSE

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 12:39 pm
I am confused. I would like to make this kugel but I dont know what to do with the onions. Should I dice them? slice them thinly? or put thm through the food processor?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 12:44 pm
BLUEROSE wrote:
I am confused. I would like to make this kugel but I dont know what to do with the onions. Should I dice them? slice them thinly? or put thm through the food processor?

Thinly slice them. Either cut the onion in half, and make thin half circle slices. Or make thin ring slices.

drumjj

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 12:46 pm
I made two small loaf pans out of this recipe

ra_mom

Post Thu, Sep 17 2009, 8:51 pm
The kugel came out delishes! I had large Vidalia onions, so I only used 3 and 3/4 onions.
I agree that if you are using regular iodized salt, plus some soup mix as suggested, the kugel only needs 1 tsp of salt.
If you're not using soup mix, you can probably put in 1-1/2 tsp.
Since I was not using soup mix, was using coarse Kosher salt which is not as strong, and since I really like salt... I used more than that Smile
I yielded 4 full small 4" x 5" pans.
elf123, you can use a 9 x 13 pan for a low kugel. Or a 7 x 9 deep pan for a higher kugel.
Thank you star82thepoint for posting this!!

SorGold

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 1:23 pm
Am I the only one who made this and did NOT like it. I sliced the onions thinly, but they just did not cook. Anyone else have that problem or was it that I just didnt slice them thin enough?

suzyq

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 3:12 pm
I tried to make it once by slicing my onions and I didn't really like it. The next time I made it (and only because my DH really DID like it), I put the onions in the food processor. Completely different kugel! And a LOT better. It really made a difference.

elmos

Post Mon, Aug 02 2010, 4:14 pm
You say you did the onions in the food processor what blade did you use as I would like to try this recipe

suzyq

Post Tue, Aug 03 2010, 8:16 am
I used the blade that shreds stuff (I don't know what it's called).

elmos

Post Tue, Aug 03 2010, 10:17 am
thanks suzy q

ra_mom

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 11:12 pm
SorGold wrote:
Am I the only one who made this and did NOT like it. I sliced the onions thinly, but they just did not cook. Anyone else have that problem or was it that I just didnt slice them thin enough?
I cook this onion kugel for much longer than the recipe calls for.

elf123

Post Wed, Aug 04 2010, 11:18 pm
I made these last year before the Yomim Tovim and they were a hit, so I just made a TRIPLE batch to freeze. It came out to 5 small (round/square 8-9 inch) kugels. I think that they were in the oven for around 45 to 50 minutes, and definitely did not get overdone. DH insisted on "testing" a small piece and said it was yummy. Off to the freezer!

elmos

Post Thu, Aug 05 2010, 5:44 pm
Thanks everyone just made it today in the food processor on the shredder blade made 3 7 inch round pans came out delish after all the "tasting" only 2 pans left.

Chocoholic

Post Fri, Aug 06 2010, 3:11 pm
I made a test drive of it yesterday. I didn't add onion soup powder. I added 2 tsp of baking soda instead of powder LOL . I used a small electric chopper, the first three onions really fine and the last 2 were practically onion mash. I put it in two small disposable pans. It came out AMAZING. Even my husband - who doesn't like oniony things (and pieces - thats why I chopped 'em real fine)- LOVED it... He thought it was stunning... He took some today for lunch but left me a little bit and even cold it tastes great, the flavors are even better cold the day after.

This is soo easy and patchke free, it will probably become a shabbos favorite and staple. In 2 small disposable pans it works out great for the two of us. One warm at night and one cold for lunch... Great!

(it did take me about 1 hour to turn brown -not overdone- on 180°C)

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 2:57 pm
Does this cut into neat squares (and does it cut better when warm/hot or cold)?

Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Aug 22 2010, 3:15 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Does this cut into neat squares (and does it cut better when warm/hot or cold)?

Thanks.
It basically cuts neatly. Just make sure the pack / pat down the onion batter once it's in the the pan. It cuts a bit better when it's cold.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes