Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Top 3 Cookbooks
1  2  Next

avigailmiriam

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 2:30 pm
I realized that I don't own a single Jewish cookbook. I was wondering what people's top 3 favorite cookbooks were and why. Mine are

1. Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison
The BEST cookbook I have ever seen for teaching you how to cook basic grains, beans and vegetables. Everything I've made has been excellent.

2. Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
A cookboook full of excellent parve cakes and frostings. So good.

3. Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day
Super easy technique to have fresh bread daily. I love this book.

Also, does anyone have this cookbook.

Olive Trees and Honey: A Treasury of Vegetarian Recipes from Jewish Communities Around the World

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 2:43 pm
1. spice and spirit, purple--it has lots of easy basic
2. from our table...to yours, yeshiva darchei torah, southfield, michigan--also a lot of easy basic, but more modern than s&s
3. mine Wink

Clarissa

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 2:44 pm
It hurts to have to narrow it down to three favorites. It would hurt to have to narrow it down to ten. But here goes. These are my most-used for family meals, because they're all pretty easy (no intimidating techniques) and the recipes generally come out well:

1) Vegetarian Planet, by Didi Emmons

Great international vegetarian.

2) Bake and Freeze Chocolate Desserts by Elinor Klivans

Elinor Klivans is currently my favorite for desserts. Her stuff is fairly easy and reliably good.

Tied for 3rd place (I know this is cheating):

3) Fast and Fresh by Marie Simmons

Really simple recipes, great for last-minute meals. Uses basic ingredients really well.

3) The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook, by Murdoch Books

I have several of their cookbooks (one is Mediterranean and one is just Appetizers) and find the recipes reliably good and simple to prepare.

Note: I do have a bunch of Jewish cookbooks and do like them, but many of them have either meat-based or pareve ideas, so they don't get as much use here as vegetarian books. I also have baking books that vary in the degree of challenge -- some I use more than others, but they all make for great reading, and I've made something in every baking cookbook except for one, which still scares me.

avigailmiriam

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 2:50 pm
I own an unreasonable amount of cookbooks. There is a bookcase of them near the kitchen table...

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 2:53 pm
I don't really use my cookbooks; I just have them on the shelf and drool over them and then make stir fried veggies with leftover chicken. Howmsoever...I have used recipes from these three, and they are also fascinating to read!

Taste of Israel by Avi Ganor & Ron Maiber
Sephardic Cooking by Copeland Marks
The Book of Jewish Food by Claudia Roden

I actually love cookbooks and love to collect them; any type as long as they aren't just treif foods.

Raisin

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 2:59 pm
my 3 favourite:

purple spice and spirit
good housekeeping cookbook
tied kosher by design/kosher pallette

I also like mother and daughter jewish cooking by evelyn and judi rose, claudia rodens book of jewish food and some veggie cookbooks.

sky

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 3:06 pm
1)Joy of cooking - I love this cookbook and everyone thinks I'm crazy! I use this to remind myself how to make eggs, pancakes, muffins, baked potatoes, corn on the cob and any other imaginable recipe. It also goes through all fruit, veggies, meat and explains how to use it

2)Spice & Spirit

3)..??I don't know

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 3:09 pm
Well seeing as I only have three cookbooks (in addition to my own collection of recipes)

1) purple spice and spirit (which I bought based on the advice here)
2) nitra cookbook (vol 1 and 2 combo)
3) the balubuste's cookbook

Clarissa

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 3:15 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:
I own an unreasonable amount of cookbooks. There is a bookcase of them near the kitchen table...
I have tons of cookbooks, and I also save every issue of Bon Appetit and Fine Cooking that I've ever gotten. That's saying a lot, because I've been getting BA since the mid-80's.

avigailmiriam

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 3:16 pm
HindaRochel wrote:
I actually love cookbooks and love to collect them; any type as long as they aren't just treif foods.

I'm so used to translating my recipies into "kosher" that treif food in cookbooks don't bother me. I wouldn't buy "ork and You: An Anthology" but almost anything else is good.

Clarissa

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 3:17 pm
I've turned ork recipes into vegetarian meals. Even ork can become something else. I love that word. Ork. Where's Mindy?

avigailmiriam

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 3:21 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I've turned ork recipes into vegetarian meals. Even ork can become something else. I love that word. Ork. Where's Mindy?

Wait, pork is censored. Now I have to see what else is

Bacon
Ham

avigailmiriam

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 3:22 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

Wait, pork is censored. Now I have to see what else is

Bacon
Ham

Oh, I see. I just made a typo. embarrassed embarrassed embarrassed

Ork, I imagine, is akin to Spam.

bubby

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 3:28 pm
I have the full collection of Carrier's Kitchen which came out in weekly magazine form & took me 2 1/2 years to collect 30 years ago. Never use it. Sad

Faves:

1. All the KBD

2. Spice & Spirit

3. My 3 DD's recipes on index cards (some are Cookielady's!!)

octopus

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 3:35 pm
spice and spirit!

Not that I use any cookbook, really... but spice and spirit have a great oatmeal cookie recipe!

OldYoung

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 3:56 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:

I thought my mother was the only one! She has a bookcase, and boxes in the basement filled with cookbooks. Some of my favorites of hers are the "popcorn cookbook" "I hate to cook cookbook" and of course the Betty Crocker cookbook.

My favorites are

Purple Spice and Spirit
easy, practical recipes with great info in the back- equivalents, substitutions, etc.

Dining In
practical, heimish recipes that are usually simple and look pretty

Quick and Kosher
the recipes are too easy and I love them (the duck sauce chicken recipe is unbelievable! Wink )

Tila

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 1:41 pm
I live in montreal so there is one that is local it is called SECOND HELPINGS.
the second book I would reccomend is the spice and spirit. The third one is Kosher by Design. The first one.

mama-star

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 1:53 pm
I have tons of cookbooks but spice and spirit is tops.

I also like "jewish cooking in america," because it's also a history book.

mama-star

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 1:53 pm
let me just add, the second book I mentioned I just like reading, I rarely "cook" from it.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 2:00 pm
I prefer magazines and online sites.

I love recipezaar.com and probably make something from that site once or twice a week.

I own many cookbooks, but don't use them as much as I used to. I prefer checking out several books from the library and reading through them for ideas. I check out Giada de Laurentiis cookbooks fairly often. I also like Rachael Ray's books.

I just got a subscription for the new Food Network magazine, and I love it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics