Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Moneysaving ideas
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

BasHashem

Post Thu, Feb 03 2005, 8:29 pm
Quote:
I invested in a hair cutting machine & give my husband haircuts

I read or heard (cant remember, and I am sure someone here will know) that a wife shuld not cut her husbands hair for shalom Bais reasons .

I have cut hubby hair a few times, out of desperation (erve yomtov, erve simcah) and I see the reasoning behind that din or minhag, or wives tale what ever it may be, he made me sssoooo nervouse I was ready to make him a mohawk. Twisted Evil
Bashashem

hisorerus

Post Fri, Feb 04 2005, 12:37 am
I have a calling card that lets me call most international locations (France, Israel, Aussie, Spain, Canada, Sweden...) for 1 cent a minute. The downside is that the access number is in Massachusetts, but I have unlimited national calling, so it doesn't make a diff. The card expires in 3 months, but I hardly ever finish it by then- 1000 minutes is a long time!

gryp

Post Fri, Feb 04 2005, 6:10 am
those haircutting machines are so simple, a man can give himself a haircut. well, I guess it would depend on what number cut you give, and whether or not he wants a certain style..

zuncompany

Post Fri, Feb 04 2005, 11:55 am
the first time I was nervous. It really was easy though. In our case it helped our shalom bayis cause a) we got some time together to relax and tease one another (which we enjoy) and b) for us its a team building experiance... communicating and working together!

We got rid of the calling cards and got unlimited national... turned out cheaper.

sara

mother of 2 princess's

Post Sat, Feb 05 2005, 11:11 am
my sis in law bought me a gr8 magnet because I used to collect them it says " I save my husband lots of money cos I never miss a sale!" the truth is some ppl do like buying these buy 2 get one free the thing is you are saving money and I do it myself if its a product I use. but my dad always used to say to my mum id rather have the money sitting in my bank making interest than e.g tissues sitting in the cubored

BlumaG

Post Sat, Feb 05 2005, 7:13 pm
my husband now mostly cuts his own hair but I do like ot trim the neck bc htey cant c/ do it themselves. we boughti t for $20 2 yrs ago, and its a gr8 moneysaver.

Tefila

Post Sat, Feb 05 2005, 8:12 pm
Ok so I've always cut my boys hair. But my question is how come after a 1yr of usage the blade gets blunt and I have to buy another. Yes it's a cheapy but so what?

BlumaG

Post Sun, Feb 06 2005, 10:08 am
I dunno freilich we ahvnt had to get a new blade yet...
I guess ours isnt used as much as urs.
do u lubricate the blade as it tells u to, its sposed to make it work better.
also make sure u clean it out well

Tefila

Post Sun, Feb 06 2005, 11:00 am
Quote:
do u lubricate the blade as it tells u to, its sposed to make it work better.

Thanks! Rarely do I read instructions. Can usually work things out myself until they don't work, and by then I've thrown manuel out Smile

zuncompany

Post Sun, Feb 06 2005, 3:21 pm
put the lubricent on each time and it will work much longer:) My hubby does it while setting up for me to cut his hair. thanks for the reminder... we all need hair cuts!

sara

sarahd

Post Thu, Feb 17 2005, 3:59 pm
freilich wrote:
Sunshine, that pizza recipe is a taste of Gan Eden!! My son made it and now we will be making it weekly. But ofcourse in our house have to triple that recipe....... Thanks from all of us here Very Happy

And Sunshine, you have two new converts to your recipe! I tried it yesterday and my husband and I were really wowed!

BTW, where I live, pizza sauce is not available, and even if it were it would probably cost $10 a jar, so I made my own sauce - simple, cheap and quick:

28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
3 tablespoons olive oil
salt to taste

Bring the tomatoes and oil to a simmer and simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered. Add salt to taste and cool. Keeps five days in the refrigerator and is enough for two recipes of Sunshine's dough.

girliesmommy

Post Fri, Feb 18 2005, 2:50 am
Pizza sauce?!?! I made it with regular tomato sauce (added some spices) and it was delicious!!

zkalan

Post Fri, Feb 18 2005, 7:16 am
Aside from ebay, there is also amazon.com, and if your purchase is $25 or more, the shipping is free ( for certain products through).

www.ebates.com is also a pretty good site for savings.

sarahd

Post Sat, Feb 19 2005, 12:35 pm
girliesmommy wrote:
Pizza sauce?!?! I made it with regular tomato sauce (added some spices) and it was delicious!!

Well, kosher tomato sauce here costs around $3 a can and the recipe I made cost $1.50 and since this is the Moneysaving thread... Very Happy

girliesmommy

Post Sat, Feb 19 2005, 2:57 pm
Quote:
Well, kosher tomato sauce here costs around $3 a can and the recipe I made cost $1.50 and since this is the Moneysaving thread...

Wow! For me, making a sauce will make it not worth it for me! (I guess I'm lazy ! Rolling Eyes ) Anyways, I'm not sure where in Europe you live, but here, even if I wanted I can't get "Kosher" tomato sauce. We checked into one kind (in a regular supermarket) and made a few calls, and it turns out that it is Kosher and it's also very cheap!!!!!!!

Also, how can I quote someone, with it saying who I'm quoting? Anyone?

sarahd

Post Sat, Feb 19 2005, 4:12 pm
Well here the best we can do is kosher canned tomatoes. The stuff in the supermarket is not just not Jewish, it's not kosher either.

Talia

Post Thu, Feb 24 2005, 7:24 am
There are many sites on the internet that give away free things and have coupon codes to almost every major department store.

I once got a free $100 toy Darda set for my son. A few years ago, one of the dotcom stores was looking for toy testers. My son recieved the toy and a tee shirt. This toy is amazing.

Talia

Yosefa

Post Fri, Feb 25 2005, 11:48 am
I love Wal-Mart salsa! I use it to flavor everything.

I never save $ making my own clothes because I always fall in love w/ expensive fabrics, but for kids, you can get fabric for the $1/yrd rack.

One way I save money is by looking at all my bills. They make a lot of mistakes especially w/ the phone. Fight anything that seems unfair and make sure you get your credit the next month.

Mommish

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 8:01 pm
miriam wrote:
I sell formula coupons on Ebay. I usually earn half of the face value of the coupon(s). Very Cool. A very smart sis-in-law gave me the idea......

Not sure if you're aware, but I've seen ads for formula gamachs that donate formula to families in Israel. That might be a better use of the cupons and maybe you could count it towards maaser (of course you'd have to ask)

Mommish

Post Sun, Feb 27 2005, 8:12 pm
I buy a lot of books on half.com. I even got a few out-of-print Jewish books. I have also sold a lot of my old books & cd's from not-so-frum college days there. I just got NY Times Passover Cookbook and Spice & Spirit Pesach cookbook for about $23 together, including shipping. not bad.
Page 6 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics