Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Philly/suburbs
1  2  Next

nylon

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 5:52 pm
Anyone want to give me the rundown on Philadelphia? We'd be looking at more suburban areas as my DH may have a job opportunity there. We're MO. TIA!

Tehilla

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 5:54 pm
my husband is from there, and it is a really lovely community. I don't know much about living there, only visiting--but I can tell you it's really nice visiting! Smile

chavamom

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 6:11 pm
Lower Merion would probably be the place to look.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 6:27 pm
chavamom wrote:
Lower Merion would probably be the place to look.

Lower Merion is pretty pricey. Bala is in the same area but cheaper.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 6:29 pm
you should give OP the full name, amother.

Bala Cynwyd, isn't it?

amother

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 7:00 pm
Tehilla wrote:

Bala Cynwyd, isn't it?

Different amother.

Yup. And Wynnewood. There's also a decent community in Center City, and a growing Orthodox presence in Oxford Circle and other parts of NE Philadelphia.

I'd move to Philly in a heartbeat. Lower cost of living, more livable lifestyle than NY. My favorite kosher restaurant, Max & David, is located on Old York Road in Elkins Park. (At one time, that area was a major center of Conservative Judaism, but not so much anymore. I've no idea why they chose to open there.) BUT kosher food is not as easily available, esp downtown.

Tehilla

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 7:02 pm
my husband grew up in Overbrook Park. but almost no one lives there anymore. his shul, with Rabbi and Mrs. Caplan, moved across City Line Ave. people moved there too.

also, there are great Chabad shluchim all over. Rabbi and Mrs. Gerber are fantastic. they're in that area also.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 7:12 pm
My husband was mekareved by the Schmidts (center city). I've heard there's been some new developments in the past few years in center city. I think there's even an eruv now, and I know they've been working on a mikvah in CC. We've visited by the Sherman's in the Lower Merion/Bala Cynwyd area. DH also has known them since they were first also in the CC area.

avigayil

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 7:25 pm
I live in Lower Merion and really like it.

There are several shuls, a great day school and plenty of kosher food places.
You can pm me for more info. There is a big MO community here Very Happy

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 7:27 pm
isn't cherry hill, nj fairly close to philly? I hear it's a nice community.

nylon

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 8:48 pm
Cherry Hill is close, but Lower Merion/Bala/Wynnewood is a better fit in this case. The job is west of Philly, so commuting from NJ would be a real headache. By NY standards even Lower Merion is not so expensive!

chavamom

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 10:08 pm
Dh is from Wynnewood and I went to college in the area, so I know more about Lower Merion Synagogue and Rabbi Caplan's shul. But there is a newer community that I don't know as much about in Yardley. I've heard nice things about it.

avigayil

Post Wed, Dec 03 2008, 11:51 pm
A friend of mine is from Yardley. There is not a lot there right now. If you want a more established community, Merion/Bala Cynwyd would be your best bet.

nylon

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 12:19 am
Commute wise, I think it would have to be Bala--he'd be working in West Chester. I don't know Philly commutes, but that would be quite a trek from the other side of the city.

Out of curiosity (we have a couple of years Smile ) which school do people send to from that area?

It certainly seems so much cheaper than NY!! Rentals under $2K! (Salary would be a little lower, but even so...)

mandksima

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 4:46 am
I grew up in a non-religious area in a suburb of Philly but went to the Torah Academy there. Now my parents are in Wynnewood and love it. They live near the new shul which is trying to attract new members. Most older families as most younger couples do move to Lower Merion or Bala Cynwyd. More MO there. Wynnewood/Overbrook Park is a cross between MO and more Yeshivish but anyone can fit in. When I was still in school, the Lower Merion area was much more modern MO, like women didn't cover their hair, wore pants, etc. If you are more strict than that but still consider yourself MO maybe you would like Wynnewood more. Someone please correct me if things have changed.

Go for a Shabbos. Call up Rabbi Caplan or Gerber or PM me and I'll do it for you. Hatzlacha Raba!

mandksima

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 4:49 am
NotInNJMommy wrote:
My husband was mekareved by the Schmidts (center city). I've heard there's been some new developments in the past few years in center city. I think there's even an eruv now, and I know they've been working on a mikvah in CC. We've visited by the Sherman's in the Lower Merion/Bala Cynwyd area. DH also has known them since they were first also in the CC area.

My parents were too! They're very close now. It's been 25 years. It's so funny how I could know so many people on this site!

amother

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 6:01 am
amother wrote:
Tehilla wrote:

Bala Cynwyd, isn't it?

Different amother.

Yup. And Wynnewood. There's also a decent community in Center City, and a growing Orthodox presence in Oxford Circle and other parts of NE Philadelphia.

Growing? The shul recently closed down. The shul I grew up in. Sad The jews are mostly gone from oxford circle. Rawnhurts still has a nice community, but my old neighborhood has very few jews left.

LisaS

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 8:22 am
My dh is also from Bala Cynwyd. It is a really great community. Especially Lower Merion synagogue is a large dynamic group pf people, different age groups and different hashkafot, yet everyone can find their place there.

Do you have any specific questions? Do you need info on spending a Shabbos?

Tehilla

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 8:25 am
mandk, my DH went to Torah Academy too. at the time, there were three people in his class--counting him!

poemmom

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 8:40 am
mandksima wrote:
NotInNJMommy wrote:
My husband was mekareved by the Schmidts (center city).

My parents were too! They're very close now. It's been 25 years. It's so funny how I could know so many people on this site!

My DH too!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating