Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
HELP!! DH considering Aliyah to Haifa!
1  2  Next

bubby

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 2:36 pm
OK, so we have only considered a commutable area to Tel Aviv as we want to be as close as possible to Jerusalem. Or so I thought. Now, DH who's in the Hi Tech field, thinks there are excellent employment possibilities there, + we'll get a lot more bang for our $ in Haifa than in RBS etc.

I don't know a soul in Haifa! I've never been although I saw it from a distance (DH has, 25 years ago) & I don't know anything about the Chabad community there (if there is one.) I am not very happy about this. In fact, I'm decidely UNhappy about it, I'm getting uncomfortable vibes, so I said I'd put it out there to imamothers for your REALLY HONEST input (& if anyone says not go there that's fine.)

Please advise, preferably before he gets home from a Jewish Agency meeting in Manhattan.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 2:39 pm
There are several frum areas in Haifa. In downtown Haifa there is Ramat Vishnitz and Geula, which have big chareidi populations.

Further up the mountain are Achuza which has lots of Anglo MO, and Neve Shaanan which I think has become pretty chareidi recently.

Maybe someone else knows if there is a Lub community there.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 2:41 pm
There are Lubabs everywhere! I don't know specifics about Haifa though...

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 2:42 pm
http://lubavitch.com/centers/l.....Haifa

There are 8 chabad centers w/ rabbis in Haifa. Call them and see what they say.

bubby

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 2:50 pm
Mimisinger, thanks...do you know if any speak English & cater to Anglos in some way? Does anyone know? This is not making me happy Sad

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 2:52 pm
Sorry, no clue.

morahaviva

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 2:54 pm
I would suggest Raanana or one of the yishuvim nearby - even petach tikva - before suggesting Haifa - its one of the least religious cities in Israel, as one of the left wingest... or however you would say that properly.
Its also not well known as an anglo city, as opposed to Raanana or Yerushalayim. I think even Petach tikva has more frum anglos than Haifa.
Good luck!

bubby

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 3:02 pm
I should also have said that I don't know anything about Haifa in any way. Sorry to be so disjointed, I'm just in a mild state of panic & shock So any input is greatly appreciated!

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 3:09 pm
First off, Bubby dear, take a deep breath. Relax. Now let that breath out... take another one. Slowly. It's going to be OK.

Secondly, Haifa is beautiful (aside from the fact that it has the most smog in the country, along with Tel Aviv).

Thirdly, get in touch with the Chabadniks in Haifa, speak to some ppl in CH. I'm sure someone knows someone who knows someone. At the very least, one of the 8 Batei Chabad Rabbis are sure to speak English. Hopefully.

And lastly, Mashiach will be here before you can finish packing your bags, so I wouldn't worry too much... He better be here......! Exploding anger

TheBeinoni

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 3:10 pm
P.S. I love the new avatar!

Stepmum

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 3:10 pm
Bubby, I know one of the Shildkraut families speak a fluent English - I think one of the parents (maybe both) is American, and the children are fluent, and Americanized.

shalhevet

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 3:19 pm
morahaviva wrote:
I would suggest Raanana or one of the yishuvim nearby - even petach tikva - before suggesting Haifa - its one of the least religious cities in Israel, as one of the left wingest... or however you would say that properly.

You are very outdated. There is a big frum community there, and I think far, far more chareidim than in Raanana. I wrote above that there are big frum enclaves, and they are growing. It is actually a big chareidi center (in numbers, not in percentage of those living there). There are also a fair number of anglos there.

Quote:

Its also not well known as an anglo city, as opposed to Raanana or Yerushalayim. I think even Petach tikva has more frum anglos than Haifa.
Good luck!

If bubby's husband wants to work in Haifa, it is hardly practical to live in Petach Tikva.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 3:24 pm
Shalhevet is right.

And Haifa is GORGEOUS. BTW Haifa supposedly has the nicest separate beach in the country.

Chill out, Bubby. He's only checking it out. You still don't have a clue where you'll wind up. Let him find employment first and then worry about where to live!

We look forward to having you.....

bubby

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 3:37 pm
I'm chillin'. And breathin'!! Yes Thanks everyone for the info, keep it coming, it's really helpful. I'm going to make some calls tomorrow bli neder & see what happens.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 3:38 pm
Raanana has a thriving Chabad community led by a personable, down to earth, rav and rabbanit. The Chabad community and its shiurim are Hebrew speaking. But there is a large English speaking community, mainly modern orthodox. The Raanana Community Kollel caters to English speakers (and Hebrew and Spanish). PM me for phone numbers and more information. You can also visit www.raananakollel.org

yogajew

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 3:41 pm
Bubby, Haifa is such a beautiful and amazing city! True, it is not as anglo or as religious as Jerusalem, but it has plenty of amenities.

In fact, I envy you. Smile

ora_43

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 4:05 pm
You're probably renting at first anyway, no? Why not try it out for a few months and see what happens--worst case scenario, it's not for you and you end up somewhere else. Most people don't end up in the first city they live in after aliya, in my experience.

The bigger anglo communities aren't the easiest to adjust to, against just in my experience... In a city like Jerusalem with tens of thousands of anglos there's no sense of connection among new immigrants or even english speaking new immigrants, and people are coming and going all the time (not in every neighborhood, but in the most heavily anglo ones). In a city like Haifa or Ashkelon or wherever else there's more of a sense that all English-speaking immigrants share a bond. And people living there are more likely to be there to stay and not just in for the year. So--there's ups and downs to both, but sometimes smaller communities are actually easier.

Imaonwheels

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 4:37 pm
The main Lubavitch communiy is not in the city itself but in Krayot, a group of suburbs that are nicer than the city. My ds learned in Kiryat Motzkin and I worked for a while with one of the rabbonim responsible for raising money for the schools. There is a lot going on and nice kehillot.If you want I can see if there is an English speaker who lives there with email.

My ex is also in hi tech. Haifa and Rechovot are THE areas. Yerushalayim has much less. I lived in Rechovot for 10 years and we worked in the Kiryat Wetzmann Hi tec park until starting our own software house. The rav is English speaking and about 1/3 of the kehilla is Anglo. I have a friend there who may be able to get him into Elop, an electro optics firm that is very good to work for. I have another American friend who is a technical writer for a Y-m company. I could put him in touch with a number of guys with good hi tec jobs.

bbmom

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 5:40 pm
The Schildkrauts definitely speak English! He is from CH and she is from Israel but lived here and speaks English very well, their children all speak English. Don't hesitate to call them!

The Chabad school of Haifa is in Krayot so I would assume that there is a more concentrated Chabad community there.

ETA- imaonwheels I see you got there first!

Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions