Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Re-usable diapers
1  2  Next

uandme

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 8:13 am
http://angelbunz.com/

hisorerus

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 8:14 am
LOL- check out the Cloth Diapers thread. There's even a cloth diaper store run by a nice Jewish mother!

uandme

Post Mon, Jan 23 2006, 8:46 am
this one is a jewish mommy too in LA

Mommy3.5

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 12:21 pm
I dont care about the planet or the cost! The thought of cloth diapers is just too gross for me to contemplate! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

hisorerus

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 12:24 pm
I don't care about the planet or the cost either... I care more about the softness! My cloth diapers are easy enough to use, just dump the bag in the washing machine. Although I'm not sure I'll use them when my baby starts on solids...

chavamom

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 10:21 pm
hisorerus wrote:
I don't care about the planet or the cost either... I care more about the softness! My cloth diapers are easy enough to use, just dump the bag in the washing machine. Although I'm not sure I'll use them when my baby starts on solids...

You can get flushable liners so that you still won't have to deal with 'mess'.

raizy

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 8:14 pm
mother of 3 . I just had an disscussion with my hubby about it. and looked up the web site. he said not in his lifetime will he do that. ..... dunk a soiled diaper in thepail.

chavamom

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 9:37 pm
Well Raizy - I use them and have never 'dunked one in the pail' OR the toilet.

baby's mom

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 9:47 pm
chavamom wrote:
hisorerus wrote:

can you use the liners with the pocket diapers?

chavamom

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 9:54 pm
Yes, for sure.

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 10:22 am
baby's mom wrote:
chavamom wrote:
hisorerus wrote:

can you use the liners with the pocket diapers?

Honestly, I'm not trying to be offensive here, but if you use disposable liners inside the cloth diapers, why not just use disposable straight out? If your paying for diapers, liners, water and detergent, what is the actual savings/benifit to the world ect.? To me it seems the amount saved would be pennies, not even dollars!

chavamom

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 10:46 am
Environmental issues aside, why don't I use disposables (and you can't ignore the environmental impact of something that sits in a landfill for the next 500 years without degrading, not to mention the bacteria and viruses that are in stool that are not supposed to go in the trash.....)?

Your cost arguement just doesn't hold water. Even using top of the line cloth diapers, you spend a few hundred on diapers. The liners cost $5 for 100, and if they are not soiled, they are washable. Not to mention that you don't have to use them until the child starts solids AND you don't have to use them at all. I think I went though 4 roll with my last child total. That's $20 or about 2 weeks of disposables. Detergent and water. Well, detergent you can get 96 loads for $11 -$13 if you buy the economy bottles (which I do). If you wash diapers 2-3 times a week, that's about 2 bottles of detergent for a year. Water. I forget the breakdown for my machine at the moment, but I think it was in the neighborhood of $ 0.11 for a regular load. Have we gotten to $500 yet?

Now - disposables. "Cheap" diapers still cost about $10/week and most of us find that the 'cheap' ones don't work so well and wind up using Huggies or Pampers at greater expense. Even at the 'cheap' rate (keep in mind that most of us spend far more than this), you are spending $520/year on something that winds up in the trash. And can't be reused for your next baby thereby increasing your savings OR check out e-bay. Many people are able to resell them if they aren't going to reuse them with another child.

So, do you still think that I'm saving 'pennies'?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 10:54 am
I used a diaper service for a while...

shopaholic

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 1:40 pm
3 cheers for disposables! I'm so busy with normal diaper changing & laundry, not to mention everything else that I can't imagine using cloth diapers.

goldrose

Post Mon, Mar 06 2006, 2:03 pm
I agree its much cheaper, dont know much about the environmental issues, but dont think it really makes a difference if my baby is 3000 more diapers in the lake...just add it to the zillions going daily...

the only benefit for me would be the cost, but at this point I'm not prepared to sacrifice my sanity, because I still think its gross.

willow

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 6:45 am
if u buy cloth dipers how do u wash them with 'stuff
" all over them? where wuld u buy them.

chavamom

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 8:59 am
willow wrote:
if u buy cloth dipers how do u wash them with 'stuff
" all over them? where wuld u buy them.

There is a thread on cloth diapers over in natural parenting. Do a quick search of 'cloth diapers', there are 100's of places to buy them, they are not so rare anymore. www.diaperpin.com is a good place to look for reviews of different types of diapers.

hisorerus

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 9:24 am
With nursing babies, you don't have to worry about the "stuff" all over. It's water-soluble. I know! Smile

1stimer

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 9:31 am
Do you wash them in a separate load?

hisorerus

Post Tue, Mar 07 2006, 9:47 am
Yes. Although I don't wash all the rest of the dirty clothes (from "explosions") in a different load.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics