Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Would you tell him to put his food away?
1  2  Next

digi

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 5:24 pm
I was on the train going home today. the train was really packed, like no standing or sitting space! I was sitting next to a guy who took out his french fries and whatever other smelly food and was eating. it got me really nauseous. normally I would stand up and walk to the other side of the train but there wasnt anywere to go! it was stuffy, hot and to top it off some non kosher smelly food!
Would you ask him to please put it away( he can wait the 15 min it takes to get out and eat at home or wherever) or is it my problem? I litteraly took my scarf out and put it over my face and suffered those 20 minutes!

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 5:28 pm
I was on a greyhound and someone was eating a salami of come sort... nothing like a fish sandwich!

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 5:31 pm
As much as I can show my displeasure I would definitely not request to put it away.

PIP

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 6:01 pm
Iwouldnt request him to put it away, but I would thank Hashem that we have the halacha of not eating out in public like that. gross.

bandcm

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 6:04 pm
I don't think you can ask him to put it away.
He would probably be rather annoyed if you did, and I would agree with him.

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 6:14 pm
You can't ask him to put it away.
Now tell me, how do kosher french fries and onion rings differ in smell from the treife ones?

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Dec 11 2008, 6:18 pm
about 5 yrs ago, I was on the greyhound for 3 hrs, and the amish guy across the aisle was throwing up....I think he had motion sickness. I couldn't ask him to put it away...

I don't know if I'd have had the guts to ask someone to put smelly food away, but more power to you if you do....

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 9:53 am
I wouldn't. When I take mass transit I assume everyone is potentially armed and dangerous and try to have nothing to do with them. If I don't like what's going on on a train, I move to the next car as soon as possible. On a crowded bus I'd just try to gradually wriggle my way to the opposite end. When faced with olfactory offenders, I mouth breathe, put my hand over my nose, or if I'm lucky and have a flavored chapstick on me, put it on thick and purse my lips so I can smell it.

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 10:19 am
jewish people eat outside as well ... who are you fooling ...

as for asking him - Confused don't know how you could fathom that querie ...

I would prefer asking the transit authority to clean up the urine/vomit smell around the trains ... Puke

maybe next time you could ask the person next to you to put on more deodorant Twisted Evil

Lani22

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 10:23 am
I was at a jewish music concert a few weeks ago- it was a fairly formal event. The 3 girls sitting in front of me take out tuna sandwiches. not only did it smell very strong it was also very annoying to have to hear them opening and closing foil packages! sorry its a bit off topic but I found it to be very offensive, this wasnt the sort of concert where ppl bring snacks with them.

GAMZu

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 10:43 am
No way you can ask someone to put away food whose smell bothers you. You could have gotten off at the next stop if it really bothered you, and tried to make it to the next car. And if not, waited for the next train.

Fabulous

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 10:44 am
GAMZu wrote:
No way you can ask someone to put away food whose smell bothers you. You could have gotten off at the next stop if it really bothered you, and tried to make it to the next car. And if not, waited for the next train.

What she said.

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 12 2008, 10:47 am
greenfire wrote:

I would prefer asking the transit authority to clean up the urine/vomit smell around the trains ... Puke

Rolling Laughter

That remind me of the I Hate NY GuideBook that made the rounds in the early 80s. the only thing I remember from it is that in the "Subway" section it said "the stations and trains are washed down nighly with urine-scented disinfectant." It made me LOL then and even now I can barely type for suppressed giggling.

DovDov

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 12:49 pm
GAMZu wrote:

Why not? It's illegal to eat on the trains for a reason. I think it's perfectly appropriate to tell the person you're not feeling well and the smell is making you sick.

Now whether it's a good idea is a different question...

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 12:53 pm
I don't think so. I would cover up my nose and mouth. Now if he were smoking...that's a a dif story.

greenfire

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 1:08 pm
zaq wrote:
greenfire wrote:

Rolling Laughter

That remind me of the I Hate NY GuideBook that made the rounds in the early 80s. the only thing I remember from it is that in the "Subway" section it said "the stations and trains are washed down nighly with urine-scented disinfectant." It made me LOL then and even now I can barely type for suppressed giggling.

hm - I took me 2 months to laugh with you Nervous ... sorry I missed it Wink

yo'ma

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 1:09 pm
DovDov wrote:
Why not? It's illegal to eat on the trains for a reason. I think it's perfectly appropriate to tell the person you're not feeling well and the smell is making you sick.

Now whether it's a good idea is a different question...

I don't know where the op is, but I don't see anywhere here that it is illegal to eat in the nyc subways.
Quote:
Disorderly conduct.

No person on or in any facility or conveyance shall:

litter, dump garbage, liquids or other matter, create a nuisance, hazard or unsanitary condition (including, but not limited to, spitting, or urinating, except in facilities provided). Trash and other waste materials contained in waste receptacles shall not be removed, except by persons duly authorized by the Authority;
smoke or carry an open flame or lighted match, cigar, cigarette, pipe or torch;

sleep or doze where such activity may be hazardous to such person or to others or may interfere with the operation of the Authority’s transit system or the comfort of its passengers;
engage in any form of gambling, except as specifically authorized as, for example, at OTB parlors;
create any sound through the use of any sound production device, except as specifically authorized by 1050.6(c) of these rules. Use of radios and other devices listened to solely by headphones or earphones and inaudible to others is permitted;
throw, drop or cause to be propelled any stone, projectile or other article at, from, upon, in or on a facility or conveyance;
drink any alcoholic beverage or possess any opened or unsealed container of alcoholic beverage, except on premises duly licensed for the sale of alcoholic beverages, such as bars and restaurants;
enter or remain in any facility or conveyance while his or her ability to function safely in the environment of an Authority transit system is impaired by the consumption of alcohol or by the taking of any drugs;
conduct himself or herself in any manner which may cause or tend to cause annoyance, alarm or inconvenience to a reasonable person or create a breach of the peace;
(1) occupy more than one seat on a station, platform or conveyance when to do so would interfere or tend to interfere with the operation of the Authority’s transit system or the comfort of other passengers; (2) place his or her foot on a seat on a station, platform or conveyance; (3) lie on the floor, platform, stairway, landing or conveyance; or (4) block free movement on a station, stairway, platform or conveyance; or
commit any act which causes or may tend to cause harm to oneself or to any other person including, but not limited to:
1. riding a bicycle or straddling a bicycle while it is in motion, or riding a scooter, or any other self-propelled vehicle or any motor-propelled vehicle;
2. wearing roller skates or in-line skates; or
3. riding or otherwise standing on a skateboard.
4. Paragraph one of this subdivision does not apply to the proper use of self-propelled or motor propelled wheelchairs or similar devices by a nonambulatory individual.

newmom

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 3:30 pm
I went to the HASC concert last year and the adults behind me took out deli sandwiches that they brought along with them. It stank-literally, and adults should know better.

bandcm

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 5:03 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
You can't ask him to put it away.
Now tell me, how do kosher french fries and onion rings differ in smell from the treife ones?

They're not fried in lard.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 5:25 pm
lard happens to be delicious, but that's not the point. it's against the rules to eat.

that said, no, I would not say anything.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette