Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you spend on tuition for all of your kids?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

How much do you spend on tuition for all of your kids combined (age three and up)?
Nothing  
 5%  [ 8 ]
Less than $3k  
 11%  [ 17 ]
$3K-$7K  
 20%  [ 31 ]
$7K-$15K  
 16%  [ 26 ]
$15K-$30K  
 14%  [ 22 ]
$30K-$40K  
 3%  [ 5 ]
$40K-$60K  
 3%  [ 5 ]
$60K-$90K  
 1%  [ 2 ]
More than $90k  
 1%  [ 2 ]
I don't have children over three or all of my children have finished school  
 23%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 154

Leah254

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 9:10 am
Off topic from the last question but in my family we all went away for school once we were 11 yrs old. Our tuition costs were pretty high, I believe that at one point in time my parents were paying 60,000 yearly if not more. When I went to seminary it wasn't any more expensive than highschool!

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 10:29 am
The last amother's point is very valid. In my family, I expect 2 of the kollel families to stay in very long term learning. Of them, 1 is a couple that can do with very very little (and would probably manage, though not as easily without our support) and his happy to manage that way. How they will marry off their children, I do not know (probably like other Israelis who manage it -- a lot of borrowing -- in our case maybe some of the borrowing will be from family members). My son-in-law does expect to work (within the Torah world when necessary, but for them necessary would be far as as they need so little). The couple that will stay in learning forever is not supported by us but by their in-laws (in fact by their in-laws parents who are extremely wealthy). In that case there is a broader family committment to continue the support of the learning couples. We have been told that my son as the capability of becoming a high-caliber Rosh Yeshiva and is very much needed in the Torah world and I expect his in-law's family to continue that support down the generations (they are already doing it for the 2nd generation). All of my other kollel families are shorter term (one is already almost supporting themself by moving to an out-of-town kollel that pays a signfiicant stipend) with some expecting to move to the business world within the next few years.

And, no I am not extremely wealthy. We have been granted good income in a number of years and made some beneficial investments that have allowed us to do this. While we do have a very large home, we live quite simply. I would rather spend on support of Torah learning than on vacations, jewelry, etc.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 10:46 am
I think I pay the highest tuition for one kid of anyone here. I don't even want to post it. Bummer.

OOTBubby

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 10:52 am
I did at one time a few years ago pay close to $20,000 for one son who need a special kind of yeshiva that was only a "full pay" one.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 10:56 am
over 6K for 1 kid. tuition goes up several times before we get to high school. plus give or get & yeshivah cash & other lovely additional expenses.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 10:57 am
Blech. This is one contest I didn't want to win.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 10:59 am
Clarissa wrote:
Blech. This is one contest I didn't want to win.

did you want a gold medal for that win?

Clarissa

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:10 am
Yes, a big heavy one. Clunk me over the head with it.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:14 am
Clarissa wrote:
Yes, a big heavy one. Clunk me over the head with it.

sounds like a great consolation prize (side point: when I was little, I thought they were saying "constellation" prize). how about a milchig strawberry short cake & some cappuchino instead? I'm not losing weight anyway, so I might as well join you.

Clarissa

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:15 am
I'm in. If watching calories earned me cash for my kid's tuition, I'd be skinny by now. Instead, I'm too chubby and too broke. I may as well let us eat cake!

Atali

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:21 am
Amother who is spending over 90k, how many kids do you have in school and where do you live?

Atali

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 11:25 am
Right now I am paying $3500 a year (which is full tuition) for my four-year old. This will probably go up when he starts real school (I don't know for sure since he is in a brand-new school, his class is the first class).

However, I am also spending about $10k per year on childcare for my toddler.

Raisin

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 12:15 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I think I pay the highest tuition for one kid of anyone here. I don't even want to post it. Bummer.

do you at least get a discount when your second kid starts school?

Clarissa

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 12:19 pm
A pittance. We're not going to send the younger one to the same school, and we may have to move the older one.

cookielady

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 12:21 pm
At the height of it all, we were paying about 50K. It's down this year since, some have finished school. When the first and the fifteenth of the month come I still panic over the yeshiva checks we do have to cover.

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 12:24 pm
Clarissa wrote:
A pittance. We're not going to send the younger one to the same school, and we may have to move the older one.

Let me guess. You send your kids to one of those expensive, UWS MO schools that will slowly bankrupt Modern Orthodoxy? LOL Everytime I read their tuition schedules, my ovaries shrivel a little.

Atali

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 12:26 pm
And I thought the $17k they are now charging at my former high school (it was $10k when I went) was a lot.

avigailmiriam

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 12:28 pm
Atali wrote:
And I thought the $17k they are now charging at my former high school (it was $10k when I went) was a lot.

I went to an elite college-prep boarding school for a year (long story, it was not Jewish) tuition is currently 37k/year for boarding students.

Atali

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 12:33 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:
Atali wrote:

I went to an elite college-prep boarding school for a year (long story, it was not Jewish) tuition is currently 37k/year for boarding students.

Okay, but no one has to send their kids to elite prep schools, but frum Jews do have to send their kids to a Jewish school (or homeschool, but not everyone can do that).

Not only that, they have to send their kids to schools that are consistent with their hashkafos. Clarissa cannot take her kid on the subway to Mamabear's $2200 cheder in Williamsburg.

cookielady

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 12:42 pm
Atali wrote:

Not only that, they have to send their kids to schools that are consistent with their hashkafos. Clarissa cannot take her kid on the subway to Mamabear's $2200 cheder in Williamsburg.

That would be quite a site, though
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics