Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you spend on tuition for all of your kids?
Previous  1  2  3  4

How much do you spend on tuition for all of your kids combined (age three and up)?
Nothing  
 5%  [ 8 ]
Less than $3k  
 11%  [ 17 ]
$3K-$7K  
 20%  [ 31 ]
$7K-$15K  
 16%  [ 26 ]
$15K-$30K  
 14%  [ 22 ]
$30K-$40K  
 3%  [ 5 ]
$40K-$60K  
 3%  [ 5 ]
$60K-$90K  
 1%  [ 2 ]
More than $90k  
 1%  [ 2 ]
I don't have children over three or all of my children have finished school  
 23%  [ 36 ]
Total Votes : 154

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 2:53 am
Barbara wrote:
Raisin wrote:
Atali wrote:
Barbara wrote:
Clarissa wrote:
I think I pay the highest tuition for one kid of anyone here. I don't even want to post it. Bummer.

I doubt it, given what I pay.

To the person who said that MO was going to collapse bc of high tuition and lack of MO teachers ... LOL. That was a joke, right? Most MO schools around here have grown exponentially over the past 20 years or so, and are now turning kids away. When DH was a kid, there were a large number of secular teachers at his MO school. Now they're all MO. The bigger problem -- if you can call it that -- is the large number of wonderful asst teachers who cannot be offered jobs due to low attrition.

But MO schools, as a rule, seem to have higher tuition than other schools. Since not all MO families are wealthy, where do the families that cannot afford to spend $20 or $30k per kid send their children to school?

answer: they don't have those children. People are having less kids then they want becasue of the cost of school.

MO in my community generally have fewer children than I gather is the case of many women here, based upon my reading of various threads. I don't know if that's because of tuition. In our case, we were unable to have more, plain and simple; tuition didn't play a role.

I am aware of families that have received very substantial tution assistance. My niece, who was a teenage single mother, was offered a full scholarship for her son. (She turned it down.) I am aware of other families who would be unable to make more than a rudimentary Shabbat or Yom Tov (think rice and beans) without assistance from the community, but somehow manage to send their kids to day school. I've never pried into their finances, but I can only guess that there is substantial assistance available in those cases.

well, you may not have had this dilemma, but at least one person has told me that she would like mroe kids, but tuition is too expensive. (and I don't think its just m.o., all frum people)

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 4:09 am
Atali wrote:
Right now I am paying $3500 a year (which is full tuition) for my four-year old. .

That's about the (full) tuition we're paying for 8 kids combined in Israel. In addition, we also have huge transportation expenses (6 of our kids go to school outside our city), tutors, enrichment clubs and dorm costs. The two year old gan also costs.

Americans make so much money, but the expenses are also outrageous.

Is this poll supposed to include transportation?

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 4:12 am
Quote: at least one person has told me that she would like mroe kids, but tuition is too expensive. (and I don't think its just m.o., all frum people)

In Bnei Brak, Yerushalayim, etc. many families have kids in the double digits and send them all to school, although many of these families really struggle financially.

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 5:36 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Quote: at least one person has told me that she would like mroe kids, but tuition is too expensive. (and I don't think its just m.o., all frum people)

In Bnei Brak, Yerushalayim, etc. many families have kids in the double digits and send them all to school, although many of these families really struggle financially.

I am talking about americans, not israelis. I've also heard of tuition commitees asking parents why they had so many children if they can't afford the tuition. (and this was not a mo school)

My parents also had 11 kids and we all went to school...it seems people struggle with this issue much more npw then people used to.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 5:43 am
Raisin wrote:
[ I've also heard of tuition commitees asking parents why they had so many children if they can't afford the tuition. (and this was not a mo school)

anti-Torah

Raisin

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 6:21 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Raisin wrote:
[ I've also heard of tuition commitees asking parents why they had so many children if they can't afford the tuition. (and this was not a mo school)

anti-Torah

I was shocked too. but would you tell someone to send their kid to public school so they could have more kids? Chinuch is a mitzva too.

Isramom8

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 6:27 am
I was shocked too. but would you tell someone to send their kid to public school so they could have more kids? Chinuch is a mitzva too.[/quote]

...which can be provided for 16 kids in Eretz Yisrael at the cost of 2 or 3 in chutz la'aretz

Would you tell someone to have two kids instead of sixteen because she wants to live where tuition is inaffordable?

(I'm not really this strident; it's just for argument's sake.)

edited for spelling

Last edited by Isramom8 on Mon, Dec 15 2008, 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

avigailmiriam

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 6:35 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Raisin wrote:

anti-Torah

Not to mention just plain rude...

Tamiri

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 7:45 am
Although tuitions in Israel are so much lower than in the U.S., it's not really fair to compare since here we aren't earning dollars.
$1000/month from a take-home of $5000 is a lot easier to live with than 500 nis (~$130) from a take-home of 5000 nis (~1300).
You can't really compare Israel/America unless you are earning an American (and I mean DECENT American) salary and living in Israel.

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 3:02 pm
Not necessarily. When I was a single parent I paid @$500/mo for 4 kids and had a mashkanta as well. We did without a lot because of the Lubavitcher Rebbe's direct horaah that one pays for chinuch always and what is left is what the family has for parnassa.

When I remarried and we had a decent income (and 7 kids) tuition was not such a big deal.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics