Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Binah Magazine Cookbook - A Recipe Review
1  2  Next

anon

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 8:33 pm
It's called "Spice it Right" from Binah magazine.

I'm surprised I haven't seen it mentioned here before. My mother just got it and I was looking through it. Some of the recipes look really good. It's a beautiful cookbook with pictures for every recipe.

One thing I did notice was that some of the ingredients sounded a little foreign to me.

I'm posting this to let ppl know of this cookbook and get reviews from those who already have it.

For all I know, this cookbook has been around forever and I'm way behind the times here Confused

Last edited by anon on Sun, Dec 14 2008, 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

bubbles

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 8:35 pm
It just came out a few weeks ago. I made a few things from it, thet all came out very good.

OldYoung

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 8:36 pm
It's pretty new, I think- I'd love to hear what others have to say about it too. I usually end up clipping pages from the magazines if the recipes are "keepers" so I'm wondering if I'm just going to end up with a bound edition of my collection, or if the book will be anything exciting that I missed...

I was going to check the bookstore first to see if it looked good...

cindy324

Post Sat, Dec 13 2008, 8:47 pm
I just bought it also, and I really like it! I only tried 3 recipes so far and they all came out great. The marble cake recipe is a new fave here, I made the chocolate mocha mousse for dessert for a friday night, and my guests practically licked the dish clean. I also made the upside down sticky pull apart cake friday afternoon, by shabbos morning only a quarter of the cake was left. I should point out that I've always shied away from recipes with yeast , was never successful with them, but this cake was phenomenal.

There are tons of other recipes that I'm planning to try. I'll say it's worth the $30 , for the great recipes and beautiful pics.

mom2bsn

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 12:41 am
My husband just bought it for me and I love it!! I made the coq au vin--it was soo yum!! the mini pumpkin kugels, coffee cake, choc dipped coconut fingers..eveything in it loks delicious!! definitely a good buy!!

creativemommyto3

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 1:37 am
I have been collecting for awhile and I think it's better to clip b/c then I have the recipes I want and am not stuck with the ones that they like.

anon

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 5:10 pm
I changed the title of the thead in hopes of encouraging ppl to share their opinions of specific recipes. It's a beautiful cookbook with enticing pictures, but I'd like to know if the end results are worth the purchase and which recipes are worth trying.

I'm not sure why I'm doing this, as I convinced myself that I wouldn't buy any new cookbooks until I tried all the interesting recipes in the ones that I already have Scratching Head

Fabulous

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 5:14 pm
anon wrote:
I changed the title of the thead in hopes of encouraging ppl to share their opinions of specific recipes. It's a beautiful cookbook with enticing pictures, but I'd like to know if the end results are worth the purchase and which recipes are worth trying.

I'm not sure why I'm doing this, as I convinced myself that I wouldn't buy any new cookbooks until I tried all the interesting recipes in the ones that I already have Scratching Head

I know, cookbooks are an addiction. I enjoy just reading them too.

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 5:22 pm
I saw it at the book store today and thought it all looked really good but im left with the dilemma, I clip recipes religiously...so will I have extra recipes I dont care abt? but I also didnt start buying binah until almost a yr into it so I prob missed really great recipes from that!
Whtvr, ill buy it!!

sky

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 6:03 pm
Does the cookbook really use a lot of fresh spices? I'm nervous about that because I don't really use them and I don't want to have to not make a bunch of recipes because of that. I think I heard that was the background of the cookbook.

bashinda

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 9:19 pm
I was also wondering what she does with spices that are interesting (because I do use spices)

the thing is I don't tend to like recipes in bina which is why I'd have to really have a good look through before buying. I've clipped here and there but it seems Kafra and I have majorly different ideas when it comes to the kitchen.

creativemommyto3

Post Sun, Dec 14 2008, 10:16 pm
ClaRivka wrote:
I saw it at the book store today and thought it all looked really good but im left with the dilemma, I clip recipes religiously...so will I have extra recipes I dont care abt? but I also didnt start buying binah until almost a yr into it so I prob missed really great recipes from that!
Whtvr, ill buy it!!

I put mine in a looseleaf and like the fact that I only have the recipes I like..

cookielady

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 8:34 am
I am not considering this cookbook. I found when I tried the bina recipes they were very average. There was only one recipe that I would make again.

happy2beme

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 8:55 am
cindy324 wrote:
I just bought it also, and I really like it! I only tried 3 recipes so far and they all came out great. The marble cake recipe is a new fave here, I made the chocolate mocha mousse for dessert for a friday night, and my guests practically licked the dish clean. I also made the upside down sticky pull apart cake friday afternoon, by shabbos morning only a quarter of the cake was left. I should point out that I've always shied away from recipes with yeast , was never successful with them, but this cake was phenomenal.

There are tons of other recipes that I'm planning to try. I'll say it's worth the $30 , for the great recipes and beautiful pics.

When I read 'upside down sticky part pull apart cake' I started salivating. Can you post or pm me the recipe?

I haven't had such great results with the recipes I've tried from the Binah magazine. They were mediocre..
If this one is good, maybe I'd try the cookbook.

bashinda

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 10:29 am
the upside down sticky pull apart cake definitely was in bina. It really did look good in the picture. I never made it because otherwise I would eat a lot of it LOL

edit: the one thing that was cute about it in bina is that the picture shoes one of the pull aparts missing and the caption was something like how she didn't even manage to take a photograph because somebody got to it first!

Another recipe that sounded good but I don't know if I'd ever make is the dairy lokshen kugel with the crumble on top. Is that in the book? Again the main problem being I'll be one of the main eaters for this.

Last edited by bashinda on Mon, Dec 15 2008, 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

cindy324

Post Mon, Dec 15 2008, 4:11 pm
Quote:
When I read 'upside down sticky part pull apart cake' I started salivating. Can you post or pm me the recipe?

Wow, it's quite long, I will try to post it later, though, when I have a bit more time.

If I forget to do it tonight, please PM me to remind me Very Happy

cindy324

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 6:17 pm
Dough:

2 oz. fresh yeast or 2 tbsp dry yeast
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup warm water
2 eggs
2 yolks
2 sticks margarine
1 cup apple juice
1/2 cup warm water (in add. to the first 1/2 cup)
1 tsp salt
8 cups flour (approx)

Filling:

1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 heaping tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1 cup chopped pecans (opt.)
1 cup raisins (opt)
oil for spreading

Caramel glaze:

1/2 cup margarine
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp corn syrup
1 tsp, vanilla extract

Place yeast ,sugar and 1/2 cup warm water in bowl of mixer and let sit for 5 minutes, until yeast bubbles.
Add remaining ingredients alternating wet and dry. Mix well to make a soft dough. Let it rise covered for one hour, or until double in size.

Meanwhile mix ingredients for filling and set aside. Melt the ingredients for the caramel glaze in a heavy saucepan. Cut a piece of parchment paper into 2 circles to fir two 10 in. round pans. Place paper on bottom of pans and divide glaze between the two evenly, spreading it out.

When the dough has risen divide into two parts. Roll each piece into a flat rectangle, about 7/8th inches thick. Smear generously with oil and spread half of filling on top. Repeat with other half. Roll up jellyroll fashion and cut into 2 in. thick slices. Place slices swirl side up into pan,on top of caramel glaze. Fill up pan working your way in from the outside until you can only place one roll in the center.

Bake for 40 minutes on 350, remove from oven, then let it cool for about 5 minutes. While still warm, flip cake over onto a large plate so caramel glaze is now on top.

PS: I should note that I did not make the caramel glaze, my kids didn't want me to.
I also halved the entire recipe, because my mixer is not heavy duty, so it could not handle 8 cups of flour. I also placed the rolls around the pan standing on their sides, since I wasn't going to use the glaze. It came out great anyway!

happy2beme

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 6:34 am
Thanks so much! I know what I'm making tonight! I can almost taste it! Hop eit lives up to my expectations.

Do I need to put in 'all spice'? I don't have that

happy2beme

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 6:36 am
Also, do you use a dough hook for t his?

Sorry, I've never tried making cakes with yeast so I'm inexperienced with this.

thx

cindy324

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 8:39 pm
Quote:
Do I need to put in 'all spice'? I don't have that

Nah, you can leave it out.

Quote:
Also, do you use a dough hook for t his?

Yes, you have to use the dough hook. Let it mix for a good 7-8 minutes on low.

Quote:
Sorry, I've never tried making cakes with yeast so I'm inexperienced with this.

Neither am I! This was the first time I've ever made a yeast cake . In fact, I've never even made challa before! That's my next project!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics