Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Why is it so exciting to fly on an airoplane??

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 9:29 am
this got me thinking last night.

my ils were in the states for their grandson's bar mitzva andcame back last week.

last night on short notice my sil in texas paid a ticket for her youngest sister to fly in.

on the way back from the airport, mil and I were talking and she said.. nu my bil, dh's brother who's married to an israeli and has 4 kids called in and said... so what's going on in T. tours?? he was kinda hinting.. yeah they would like to fly on a plane and have some fun abroad, then my mil said.... hmm their 4 year old son also wants to go....

ok they prob won't be doing it in the near future anyways as he's the only one with no u/s passport, everyone else has one, plus his wife's israeli so add up 6 tickets plus money for 6 visas it won't hapen any time soon. where as me and my kids are brits...

but really what is so exciting?? I used to find it a thrill as a girl... ok so you get food and drink... huh really mingy portions so who cares about that, but honestly anyone I ask says.. yeah travelling especial;ly with kids, is a big headache something I'd rather avoid. especially when yo ucan loose them ina big airport and haveto run after them.

then ds2 said to me... oh no elisheva forgot to take me in the suitcase... I said she couldn't reall;y and he started crying, so I said look thank hashem you were on a plane and all your cousins weren't, plus daddy said he'd take you to uman.

ok at least sometimes bil does that for RH so his 2 boys will get to go then but his girls??

I don't make a big deal about it anymore when I travel.... it's just part of life and for me kibud ov to be with my dad ....and sibs... bh all her sibs live near her...

oh well

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 9:34 am
I hate planes...going up and down Puke . It's fun for kids, though. Unless they vomit or get sick on the plane. It's a thrill. Like a roller coaster (I don't like those either), people like it for the thrill even though they might be sick afterwards.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 9:39 am
it is not exciting. especially not once you have kids.

it was really exciting when I was little though. my mother put lots of surprises in our backpacks & we had lots of fun with all her dollar store/srug store purchases. probably kept her sanity intact.

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 9:47 am
well as a girl when I traveled it was mainly by boat but that was from the UK to holland.

besides if your on a tiny plane.. kids can't always move around, and plus alot of airlines are cuttingback so there are less prizes and games around.

when I flew with ds2 3 years ago or so, I bought soo much to keep him busy, but nothing helped, he was a real nudge.. whne are we getting there, when first it was nu I want to go to the matos already..... that that was 5 hours to london... now multiply that b uy 12 hours to the us....

oh and afterwards I davened that he sleep the whole flightback.... oh bh that flight I could b;ess as the minute we took off he slept 5 hours straight until landing.

alos for me it's a headache security/ check in alone.. I just can't deal with it and it makes me really nervous.. I just hate it...

drumjj

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 9:48 am
I hate flying esp with kids. I find it a drag and a total waste of time sitting there doing nothing.

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 9:49 am
I hate flying, but some European airports are really, really nice.

baba

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 10:58 am
I just got off the plane with a nice cold, after having survived a cold European country. And being 35 weeks pregnant is also not the most comfortable thing in the world either. So yeah, not a big fan. dd (2) on the other hand had the time of her life watching all the other planes, though I dont think she quite got that we were also in a plane...

SuperMama

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 11:21 am
I totally enjoying flying. With kids, without kids, with friends, alone, anything. I don't mind turbulance - it makes it more exciting to watch others reactions. I just have a great time on planes.

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 11:57 am
very few things are exciting after you've done them a thousand times; most things are exciting the first time or first few times. why is that hard for op to understand?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 12:07 pm
Well, it's something different. Same way I looked forward to jury duty. It was a change.

LibraMommy

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 12:08 pm
I have flown plenty of times. The reason I love it is I love the sky. I am not kidding. I love the view from the window of the land below as well. Sure, it is not at all easy to fly with children. I am not too experienced with that.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 12:09 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Well, it's something different. Same way I looked forward to jury duty. It was a change.

I've never been called for jury duty yet. it's like I don't exist in my state. btw choccy, I missed you. nice to see you back.

lst

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 12:09 pm
I don't like flying, I just like getting to the destination, whether its visiting family or returning home. its a means to an end. and dealing with security in airports other than ben gurion, id rather do without. I do think that airplanes are a pretty cool inventionthough. you can fly across the world in hours, I think its amazing!

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 12:25 pm
I like flying especially without kids. Night flights are not my favourite though.

With kids I'd rather take a 6 hour car trip then a 1 hour flight.

chaylizi

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 12:41 pm
Raisin wrote:
I like flying especially without kids. Night flights are not my favourite though.

I HATE car trips. I'd rather fly. NY is 12 hours from my city & I get so carsick.

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 4:37 pm
chaylizi wrote:
Raisin wrote:

I HATE car trips. I'd rather fly. NY is 12 hours from my city & I get so carsick.

12 hours is a lot, but have you tried flying with all your kids? something (or worse, someone) is sure to get lost. At least with a car, the luggage goes in there, and you take it out at your destination. no taxis or airplanes to leave it on.

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 4:43 pm
In the first few years of our marriage, we took a lot of overseas trips (to Israel and New York). As the kids came along, we of course brought them with on the trips. Until I had 3 kids, I would far rather have travelled with my family to israel than to my parents who live a 4 hour drive away. After the 3rd kid the option of staying home was much more appealing (not to mention a lot cheaper!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics