Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Breaking corelle
1  2  Next

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 5:29 pm
I thought corelle is not supposed to break ... my corelle always breaks - piece after piece after piece ... another one bites the dust - grrrrrrrrrrr Exploding anger Shooting Arrow

mummy-bh

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 5:31 pm
Yeah, and why is it that it breaks into about twelve zillion pieces, each one no larger than my baby's pinky????

Inspired

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 5:55 pm
Mine broke too, but we have stone floors.

tovasmom

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 7:56 pm
I had service for sixteen corelle a couple of years ago and I'm down to four cups. GRRRRR is right!!! My granite countertop does not agree with my corelle, at all Exploding anger

anuta

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:06 pm
tovasmom wrote:
I had service for sixteen corelle a couple of years ago and I'm down to four cups. GRRRRR is right!!! My granite countertop does not agree with my corelle, at all Exploding anger

corelle cups are regular ceramic, they are not made of corelle material.

I had two corelle dishes that chipped on the rim, I called the company and they sent me two new ones. I also had a couple that broke, but they do break sometimes... just very rarely compared with other brands.

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:10 pm
anuta corelle used to make corelle cups, in fact my oldest living cup is corelle.
However they stopped since it people didn't understand that corelle doesn't never break.

Corelle doens't CHIP

break they do, but not as easily as other dishes

so people were complaining about the cups when they broke so corelle said ok forget it, we will just make the cups ordinary mugs so people can't complain.

pity... like I said, my oldest living cup completely chip free is corelle.

Last edited by Lechatchila Ariber on Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

challi

oh my but when they break its not like other materials. It breaks into tiny tiny shard some to small to see and sand like particles. Its like part of it almost vaporizes. I switched to heavy earthwear (is that what its called?) At least when it breaks it just breaks in half and I don't have to spend all day cleaning up the mess.

GAMZu

Actually, my corelle set has ceramic cups. What Yeah, I heard that it's very hard to break, but when it does, it splinters into a bazillion pieces.

GAMZu

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:14 pm
LA- so why only cups? Are they more prone to being smashed? What

anuta

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:17 pm
Lechatchila Ariber wrote:

Corelle doens't CHIP

break they do, but not as easily as other dishes

You want me to send you photos of my chipped corelle dishes?
Maybe that was a defect in the manufacturing process, and that's why they sent me another pair, no questions asked..

Lechatchila Ariber

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:19 pm
GAMZu wrote:
LA- so why only cups? Are they more prone to being smashed? What

I think so. They are also the most used.

anuta wrote:
You want me to send you photos of my chipped corelle dishes?
Maybe that was a defect in the manufacturing process, and that's why they sent me another pair, no questions asked..

I think it might have been like you say a defect.

I use corelle for both milchig and fleishig and although some have broken and needed to be replaced over the years I have never had one that chipped.
I've been using them for years

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 8:29 pm
a zillion shards is correct ... I couldn't even stand up to get the broom ... luckily dd is acrobatic enough so she sent me the broom - climbed the couch, balanced over my head on the computer chair, turned on the light and left as swift as she came ... all this so I can see the pieces and clean them up ... a zillion and 1 ... What

oh and they make matching drinking glasses as well - and those for sure break - I'm down to exactly 1 ... the mugs do not break I got them all ... 2 bowls ... 4 small plates - the saucers are still in tact and the large plates and 2 oval servers - it also came with a glass cutting board which I never use cause it just looks like it will break if I use it even once Scratching Head

mind you the one that broke today ... fell from a coffee table to a wood floor - not very far at all ...

Mrs. XYZ

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 9:10 pm
Quote:
a zillion shards is correct ...

Interesting, I had 2 plates that broke, and they just neatly cracked in half.

mommy's daughter

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 9:17 pm
when my corell fell thr ceramic floor chipped not the plates

greenfire

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 9:20 pm
hm ... maybe you can send the ceramic tile to corelle for exchange Wink

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 16 2008, 11:36 pm
corelle is tempered but not unbreakable, as you've clearly discovered. This thread reminds me of a trade show I was at where some dealer was demo-ing their unbreakable dishes. the rep was supposed to drop samples of their dishes to show how durable it was. every few minutes we'd hear the crash of smashing crockery. the poor guy was sweeping up broken dishes all day long. they weren't back the following year...I wonder why????

tovasmom

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 9:57 am
Does anybody remember Melmac? This thread reminds me of a story my mom told of her 1st set of Melmac dishes in the early 1960's which were advertised as unbreakable. My older sister (who probably was about 5-6 at the time) decided to do a science experiment. She through the Melmac bowl out a 4th story window and she said "look mommy, you see, it does break! " I'm told my mother was NOT amused!

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 10:01 am
tovasmom wrote:
Does anybody remember Melmac? This thread reminds me of a story my mom told of her 1st set of Melmac dishes in the early 1960's which were advertised as unbreakable. My older sister (who probably was about 5-6 at the time) decided to do a science experiment. She through the Melmac bowl out a 4th story window and she said "look mommy, you see, it does break! " I'm told my mother was NOT amused!

lol Nervous - I remember those ...

I also remember the commercial "charlie says have some good & plenty" Music

tovasmom

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 10:07 am
greenfire wrote:
tovasmom wrote:

lol Nervous - I remember those ...

I also remember the commercial "charlie says have some good & plenty" Music

If we keep this up. greenie, people will figure out how old we are! SHHH!!!

Fabulous

Post Wed, Dec 17 2008, 10:09 am
I'm not married that long but so far I'm very happy with my corelle, milchig and fleishig. They are constantly falling and dropping out of my hands etc.. and so far so good. Although my friend who got married in JULY, already has a few broken corelle dishes. Scratching Head

My parents also have their corelle for over 20 years and maybe 2 or 3 pieces have broken over the years and we are very clumsy people. My brother calls me butterfingers.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics